• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Just to make sure for the new reviewer. Arachne is an evolution, not a skill. The anime doesnt say she was looking at an evolution chart (but implies it with her talking about evolutions) but it is about evolutions. She cant just acquire arachne with skill points.

Thanks for the heads up. I have made the correction on behalf of Mercedez.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My take on what Arachne is, is at 2:09 in the OP.
If you look at 4:32 ish,during Kumoko's info dump,that's a Arachne.
2:09 is not....
So you think, but she is imagining what Arachne is like at your place, but at where I indicate, we have a human torso and "face" on a spider body. I'd say that is more likely the case and the probably/maybe/etc dialog I think is a clue that what is pictured is not what it is.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
Having gone ahead and read the LN because my desire for spider shenanigans couldn't be sated, I'm really impressed by how the series has been adapted into the anime (CG aside anyway). Stuff has been cut to cram the series into 12 episode cours with climaxes bookending each but things have been really streamlined.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah I think the adaptation has done quite well all things considered. It cut some of the material I would of cut myself where I in the position, to make the series easier to work with in episodic story telling. Kumoko's essence has been maintained very well, love the voice acting and they managed to make her antics as a spider in 3d feel natural. I imagine that was really hard to do.

While I have some regrets in lost context I can certainly understand why they decided to focus on clear cut stories instead of the side perspectives and hints of the novels. One interesting things with the anime having read the source myself was seeing Yuev's and others reactions to her fighting and killing humans. Not being in her head for 3 novels really changed that perspective. Of course it was the first time we got to see her being stronger then humans so the ease of her killing was meant to be a bit of a shock.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My take on what Arachne is, is at 2:09 in the OP.
If you look at 4:32 ish,during Kumoko's info dump,that's a Arachne.
2:09 is not....
So you think, but she is imagining what Arachne is like at your place, but at where I indicate, we have a human torso and "face" on a spider body. I'd say that is more likely the case and the probably/maybe/etc dialog I think is a clue that what is pictured is not what it is.

It's not what i "think" but know...

And given episode 14's preview of episode 15's title and whatnot-2:09 will be revealed.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Not that much to speculate on the arachne when we've already seen the Kumoko-colored, Kumoko-powered woman in the battlefield.
--
I thought I was spoiled that Shouko was Maou, but here she is in a vampire body (the one time Kumoko decides to be nice... (also, she ate those humans...)) having a conversation with Maou. Whereas Kumoko is the White Lady... who hasn't exchanged a single word with Maou (or anyone else for that matter). I'm increasing the odds of that "Kumoko is controlling several bodies at once" possibility.
I'll admit she scene where Kumoko was just fussing around about Shouko (did she really not recognize her own classmate's name?) was pretty funny as the "humans" had to watch that scary monstruous spider savior having a seizure. Even funnier to think she has actually done that every time she has fought against something.
A setting where vampires are just born like that and they run merchant business, interesting.

On the other side, that's a lot of quasi-random tragedy happening all at once. And that's more isekai kids acting like not-so-nice-people than not (and I'll assume the chakram girl is another one of them. Also, I'd prefer if the Church was NOT manipulated, anything to harp on the greed and manipulation of organized religion.
A shame about Fei, she used to be a cute tiny dragon, now she's another horrible CGI monstrosity (seriously, why is CGI in this series so appalling?). About Ouka, what about those secrets, eh? If she wanted to manipulate these kids into being able to attack their ex-classmates that sure backfired, surely some information on Sophia and her powers could have helped things go more smoothly (and that difference in knowledge gave the others a huge advantage). I'll have to down a whole bottle of rum if she pulls that [confidential information] crap again, time to actually have that conversation that you pretended to have in the first half, sensei.

I'd like to know what has happened in production because animation was absurdly stilted, we had some cool sakuga intertwined with some cuts that were outright unfinished.

Also, there's a meta-textual reading that is making me very uncomfortable. Wakaba and Shouko were ostracized for being gloomy and antisocial and, uh, for all we know they deserved no sympathy anyway? Like since they are loners that means they're selfish and now that they're out of the reach of Japan's laws they have no qualms rejecting their humanity and making pain and death rain as hard as it benefits them (and let's face it: Sophia was having a blast), whereas the more sociable ex-bully always had her moral compass in the right place. Although hector was also sociable and he's nonetheless an irredeemable egoistical jackass.
I know I must be missing a lot of nuance but so far that's something I can read from the information given. Not like there's much saving nuance for someone who revels in her bloodlust and who holds the "everyone must suffer as much as I" mindset.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I'd like to know what has happened in production because animation was absurdly stilted, we had some cool sakuga intertwined with some cuts that were outright unfinished.

Yeah noticed that myself,the quality really was just..odd.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Agreed on the animation front. There was quite a few stills that didn't even use any animation tricks to try and hide it. Im surprised that after 2 episodes of delaying tactics on this story that it felt as rushed as it did. Admittedly they happened rather quickly in the source as well but there was some better pacing. In particular a moment when the kings assassination was happening sue used wind magic to silence shun. Preventing him from calling out and setting him up as the killer better. Of note was Sue using holy magic to kill the king which is the hero's specialty magic.

Sophia as depicted is quite the twisted character isnt she? Compared to the happy go lucky spider who will do anything to survive she is far more aggressive. Keep in mind that it isnt only the social rejects that have had maladjustments to their personality. We've seen a church orphan of a reincarnation become a fanatic religious nut, the classroom dominant male surrounded by others become a megalomaniacal self only interested player, a classroom bully become an ally of justice and pet as well as teacher go from a encourager of knowledge and growth into a keeper of secrets and underhanded dealings. And lets not forget the Human MC, a everyday nice guy somehow become a overpowered protagonist and champion of virtue.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
And lets not forget the Human MC, a everyday nice guy somehow become a overpowered protagonist and champion of virtue.

That's the only thing that is normal and familiar. An anchor for my sanity.
... ... oh wait, no, by isekai rules his original self needed to be a hikkikomori gamer.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
As an extra Im gonna link the Image the light novel gave of us of Feirune's current evolution. The CG has that ugly gloss but anatomically its quite close to the drawing.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/images/c/c9/Feirune_Sheet.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20190223082605

Though her light dragon breath being unanimated beams of gold was disappointing.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
As an extra Im gonna link the Image the light novel gave of us of Feirune's current evolution. The CG has that ugly gloss but anatomically its quite close to the drawing.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/images/c/c9/Feirune_Sheet.png

Though her light dragon breath being unanimated beams of gold was disappointing.

... those skill walls make me feel nauseous.
Why write a description when you can instead write 91 skills?
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
One bit of context to point out about Sophia is that elves were shown to be planing to kill her family and kidnap her as a baby before Kumoko intervened. We also see that Sophia and Oka have clearly met before in this world and Sophia isn't a fan.

There's probably more going on than the story is telling for why she so gleefully decapitated Potimus and had it out for Oka. The whole fun of her character is wondering what happened to her that took her from a helpless baby to what we see attacking Shun.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
MagicianMan wrote:
There's probably more going on than the story is telling for why she so gleefully decapitated Potimus and had it out for Oka. The whole fun of her character is wondering what happened to her that took her from a helpless baby to what we see attacking Shun.

Yeah, and unfortunately for anime-only viewers, most of that goes well beyond what two cours are likely to cover. I will say that this is the best isekai franchise I have yet encountered when it comes to how carefully everything in the story interlocks.

Yuvelir wrote:
'll admit she scene where Kumoko was just fussing around about Shouko (did she really not recognize her own classmate's name?) was pretty funny as the "humans" had to watch that scary monstruous spider savior having a seizure.

Keep in mind that Hiiro was shown being very isolationist; she didn't regularly interact with anyone. Hence it wouldn't be surprising at all that she didn't know everyone's name, especially that of a girl who definitely wasn't one of the popular kids.

The rolling around in front of the humans thing was pretty funny, but not as much so as Kumoko imagining herself as the prince.

And yeah, WTF was up with the direction this episode? That was a mess visually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sophia is my favorite character next to the MC and, while I'm not going to pretend that she doesn't have some toxic personality traits, there's more going on with her than "She grew up evil because she was a loner". I wanted to stick up for her a little bit while keeping it limited to what's already presented in the show.

Also, she wasn't ostracized for being gloomy and antisocial, she was bullied by her classmates for being seen as ugly.(In the books, she's described as being unhealthily pale and gaunt as well as slightly hunched) We see in episode 8 that even Shun and Katia casually used her class nickname of Rihoko (real horror girl) referring to the idea that the class thought she was so ugly she looked like a ghoul from a horror film. Now she's beautiful and poised on the outside while being an actual vampire on the inside.

I think more than any of the other cast, besides maybe Katia, her character arc revolves around the juxtaposition between her old and new lives as well as her childhood vs her teenage self.

Last edited by MagicianMan on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
And here we have it, from Mar 06 Sophia (vampire) is "Spooky" and not Wakaba. However, Sophia communicating with DL and both using Yamada's name and in the same Ep where kumoko first encounters her, this Ep looks like another hint at connecting kumoko and DL. However, there is the Op fight sequence between DL and kumoko so ?? Also, I think Fei's new form looks nice, even in CGI...

@Nordhammer-interesting, we'll see next week...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 56