• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
How... convenient that oni gramps on top of being a cursed blood and on top of having a grandaughter named Emma also just happened to have Minerva's last posession and that last intel piece being EXACTLY what they need for their current predicaments.
Sympathy really goes a long way huh.

I couldn’t stop laughing when it was revealed that the pen contained information which could cure Norman and the Lambda kids from those side effects. That pen just happens to have EVERYTHING they need. How very, very convenient!
navycherub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
not sure jobless reincarnation is "disappointing," since it was trashy from the start. the promised neverland on the other hand used to be a show I enjoyed a lot, and just keeps getting worse every week.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
Hey, despite all that, it's nice to see that shonen jump likes to keep tradition alive, you know? A lot of their recent series follow in the shoes of older ones. They have HeroAca taking the place of Naruto as a kinda of silly and slightly hypocritical action series, Jujutsu Kaisen as th supernatural horror shonen in the veins of Bleach and Yakusoku no neverland as the series that had a smart beginning but then proved to be completely idiotic and self-defeating, just like Death Note.
But, hey, at least Kaiu Shirai isn't disgustingly mysoginistic... Right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
not sure jobless reincarnation is "disappointing," since it was trashy from the start. the promised neverland on the other hand used to be a show I enjoyed a lot, and just keeps getting worse every week.

i think you mean redo of healer!

that hentai wannabe is way more in the trash meter than jobless reincarnation and the latter is definitely not disappointing nor is TPN S2!

its just predictable thats all! after all they both have to follow their source materials! just like with the final season of Shokugeki no Soma! the disappointing if not worst of the year honors goes to both redo & yashahime!

Quote:
That'll be a tough run on TPN's part, seeing Mushoku Tensei still exists, and none of TPN's protagonists are sociopathic sex criminals (so far as we know, anyways). Still, the fact that this season is even in the running is just deeply, achingly sad.

uhhhhhh........... redo & yashahime says: WE ARE GOING TO END THIS REVIEWERS ENTIRE CAREER!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
A work can only be disappointing if you were expecting something (good).
Nobody should have had any positive expectations about Redo.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
not sure jobless reincarnation is "disappointing," since it was trashy from the start.

It's true, though the reviewer on ANN sure is trying their darndest to convince everyone otherwise. Gotta admire his spirit if nothing else, and it's not like anyone else is watching it, so he could honestly say the show is "big hollywood director Christopher Nolan's new masterpiece" and I'd believe him. It would somehow still only fill the comment section with age of consent debates though.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
I can't believe how disappointing this season has turned out to be. I never imagined after the carefully crafted brilliance of season 1 that I'd end up thinking, "I'll skip the rest of this trainwreck and read the manga."
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
^^ I think you hit the nail! Apparently there are TWO ways to get people interested enough in the story to buy the manga...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm far enough behind on this that everyone's already pointed it out, but just wanted to add my sad, loud sigh to the collective bellyaching about this season, especially this latest episode. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a single episode of an anime more blatantly rush at warp speed to wrap up all the plot threads it had going on instantly without putting any work whatsoever into doing so naturally. I feel sorry for James having had to review this season of TPN, at this point. Sad
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Remember a few weeks ago when an editorial was posted (animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2021-02-02/.169071) about how we should give this new season a chance and threw shade at the people who would clamor for a Neverland Brotherhood? I bet they feel pretty silly now.[/url]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
So... how much of this did actually go according to keikaku? That was a long string of "but actually..."
I'm still puzzled about the world. How exactly is it divided?
Also, awaiting Sonju's betrayal. Not only was it weird to see him knocking out instead of killing, sending these kids to their world (via elevator?) is not in his best interest.[/list]
cyborgkiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Instead of fixing some of the mistakes from the manga, the anime seems to be amplifying all of them while also removing all the good parts. Disappointing is too generous a word for this
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
A fitting end for this season would be to just kill everyone off lmao
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Remember a few weeks ago when an editorial was posted (animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2021-02-02/.169071) about how we should give this new season a chance and threw shade at the people who would clamor for a Neverland Brotherhood? I bet they feel pretty silly now.[/url]

As someone a bit put off by that article at the time, and was admittedly a little bit irked by how dismissive it felt to people who disagreed, I don't think it's entirely fair to point and laugh now. When they were writing it I doubt they could have predicted the anime would end up like this - the comments were made on the belief they were getting a good anime original story. I assume they were just sticking up for what they like from adaptations and expressing their excitement towards the potential of that being catered to, even if it did come across a bit in bad faith towards people who didn't have the same taste.

To be honest though... when an anime adaptation gets an "original story" these days it just translates to cramming an excessive number of manga chapters into 12 episodes, sanding down parts that don't fit, and then adding the "original" stuff onto that mess i.e. 5 minutes of exposition used to hand-wave episodes worth of content away. Rather than taking memorable moments and themes from the source material and trying to make an original story that accentuates them, such as one could argue FMA:03 did, they often rush through everything, undermining tension and pacing in an effort to adapt as much of the source material as humanly possible, highlighting the flaws in the manga instead.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All of this is but a prelude to the episode's biggest insults to our collective intelligence, unfortunately. For there is one last dangling plot thread that the show needs to wrap up, and that is Isabella's “character arc”, and this is an instance in which I am legally compelled to qualify that term with the biggest irony quotes imaginable, because what actually goes down with Isabella is less of an “arc” and more of a suicidal plunge off the cliffs of reason and common sense. I had neither the patience nor the inclination to go back and count exactly how many lines Isabella has had this season, but I'd wager the number is low enough to be countable on one hand. Yet, when Isabella and her army of fashionable Murder Moms raise their machine guns to the group of frightened children that Ratri has corralled, The Promised Neverland has the gall to have Isabella turn her gun on Ratri, and reveal that she and every other Mama has decided to turn traitor to the demons and help out those kids that she has spent most of her adult life actively abusing and murdering.

If anything, this is the only part of that whole mess that is somewhat logical.
Considering how S1 ended, what made no sense is that Isabella would actually accept recapturing those kids she had admitted defeat to. So betraying her demon overlords seemed like a given.
What indeed is baffling is that all of these dozens of battle maids desperate for survival would agree to side with her (specially considering what Sister Krone was like in S1). I suppose the imminent closure of the farms lays them out of their job (that's an awful lot of mamas just for 6 Grace Field farms though) and thus they're left to become demon snacks... but at no point was it implied that they were thinking about that, or thinking at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11