• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Youm is good PR but he has no proven skills or judgement and his handling of the Mulan thing has been... clumsy at best. From now on he'll be making important decissions and be surrounded by people who will try to take advantage of him, those are some shoes to fill.

You're not wrong of course, but is there someone better who would be accepted by the people of the Kingdom though (and is friendly towards Tempest)? I think that's all that is of immediate concern in replacing the king. A quick and easy transition that doesn't lead the entire kingdom to collapse in one way or another.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
In magical fantasy worlds, no one is truly dead, they are, as said in "The Princess Bride", "mostly dead".

As long as you know your series' Miracle Max you're aces.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to what the adventurers/princess party were thinking when they told Rimuru the fairy tale (obviously about Milim).

"So here's a story, based in fact, about someone being able to resurrect their friend by becoming a demon lord after killing 10,000 people"
"Oh thanks! I guess I'll go ahead and do that"
"Wait no. I was just trying to make you feel better. I don't actually want you to commit mass murder"
"Oh, here's 20,000 people coming right now!"
"..."

There's no doubt that they're fine with Rimuru killing 10,000 fellow humans.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:28 am Reply with quote
For a generally light hearted series such as this, I find it easier to think of the quick resurrection revelation as a (very) close call. It was made clear that if the barriers hadn't been there, Rimaru would be SOL, and to me the way they animated the scene showed that he realized this.

He's lucky once again, but that's this show's M.O. so I was ok with it. We don't always have to expect a deep dive/character study over a death. At this point in pop culture it's not like that's anymore original than the get out of jail free card we got. As someone said we only need to switch tabs to an AoT episode for that Wink
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Really, the only lesson Rimuru learned from this whole situation is that things will always work out for him in the end.

This is why I started to get put off by him later on. Every time he faces a problem or challenge, his cheats solve it for him with little to no effort on his part which made me come to the conclusion that the writing is kinda lazy. spoiler[One of the big bads managed to fool him? His cheat tells him immediately. He wants to analyze the skills and abilities of dungeon crawling adventurers? His cheat does it with the speed of a quantum computer. He needs to sacrifice one of his most powerful skills to win a tough battle? No worries the cheat saved a backup of said skill so he loses nothing.]

Quote:
There's clearly more to Myulan's story than we know. She got something for giving her heart to Clayman (as she is “repaying” him for something). What was it and can it be taken away now that she's betrayed him?

This was explained in an earlier vol of the LN but the anime will most likely skip it
me_barron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They need to figure out how to make it a one-in-a-million chance. Then it'll be a sure thing!

Terry Pratchett fan, I see lol But yeah, this season is not so great pacing-wise or even story-wise. At least we got some Milim backstory.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
"So here's a story, based in fact, about someone being able to resurrect their friend by becoming a demon lord after killing 10,000 people"
"Oh thanks! I guess I'll go ahead and do that"
"Oh, here's 20,000 people coming right now!"

Yeah---uh, this feels like it's going to be a pretty weird arc. Rimuru's world seems to be filled with lots of moustache-twirlingly bad bad guys (who are sort've written to be the kinds of over-the-top evil that minimizes the viewer's sense of empathy), but I have trouble seeing how they could convincingly portray him murdering 10-20K sentient enemy soldiers (human or otherwise) and play it off as no big deal. I think that's either going to end up feeling very clumsily handled, or they'll have to write some way out of it.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot more poignant of them to have Rimuru realize he can't justify killing tens of thousands of people to save one or even a few dozens of persons he cares about. Not sure Slime will have the emotional cajones to commit to that, though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
For a generally light hearted series such as this, I find it easier to think of the quick resurrection revelation as a (very) close call. It was made clear that if the barriers hadn't been there, Rimaru would be SOL, and to me the way they animated the scene showed that he realized this.

He's lucky once again, but that's this show's M.O. so I was ok with it. We don't always have to expect a deep dive/character study over a death. At this point in pop culture it's not like that's anymore original than the get out of jail free card we got. As someone said we only need to switch tabs to an AoT episode for that Wink
I'm totally fine with them keeping things light-hearted, but then why do they keep trying to throw dramatic weight behind these moments? It's the attempt to present these setbacks as important and emotional that's so eye-rolling.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Yeah---uh, this feels like it's going to be a pretty weird arc. Rimuru's world seems to be filled with lots of moustache-twirlingly bad bad guys (who are sort've written to be the kinds of over-the-top evil that minimizes the viewer's sense of empathy), but I have trouble seeing how they could convincingly portray him murdering 10-20K sentient enemy soldiers (human or otherwise) and play it off as no big deal. I think that's either going to end up feeling very clumsily handled, or they'll have to write some way out of it.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot more poignant of them to have Rimuru realize he can't justify killing tens of thousands of people to save one or even a few dozens of persons he cares about. Not sure Slime will have the emotional cajones to commit to that, though.

Considering his powers, I think he might cheat the system - swallow 10,000 people, do whatever analysis/isolation/extra thingie Gluttony can perform, obtain Maou title, spit out the 10,000 soldiers.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Considering his powers, I think he might cheat the system - swallow 10,000 people, do whatever analysis/isolation/extra thingie Gluttony can perform, obtain Maou title, spit out the 10,000 soldiers.

Agree--this is the kind of "write their way out of it" I'm anticipating. I think it will be less meaningful written this way, but Slime's never been a heavy show. I'm honestly shocked they've been willing to commit to middling/major character deaths for more than a span of an episode.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Oh they have something that will serve as a convenient way for him to play off killing 20k guys.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
They very easily could have cut some of the redundant bits from Rimuru's big fight with Hinata in order to reveal Shion's death at the end of last week's episode. Then we'd have had a full week to consider this story under the (thin) illusion that the narrative might be taking a darker turn, transforming the story's world into one where actions have consequences.

that wouldn't work either, you're just fooling the audience by postponing the inevitable which is no better. Just stop worrying I care not about such trivialities because Rimuru will continue to be the cutest slime of all ^^
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This puts the viewer right in the middle of an ethical dilemma. Like Rimuru, we care about Shion, Gabzo, and all the innocent monsters killed in the Falmuth raid. However, this being a medieval setting, the majority of Falmuth's soldiers are likely conscripts (peasants forced into taking up arms by their greedy King) with knights and career soldiers only making up the command structure. This, in turn, means that most of the 10,000 Rimuru plans to kill are as innocent as his own slaughtered people.

No, the Falmuth soldiers are not innocent. You have forgotten to use a very important word to describe what is happening. Falmuth and Tempest are at WAR. Falmuth is attacking Tempest, not the other way around. The innocence of Falmuth's soldiers are between them and their King, Tempest doesn't enter in that equation. There is already blood on Falmuth's hands, and to some degree the Church's too. Asking Rimuru and the people of Tempest to "think of the innocence of the Falmuth soldiers" is a bridge too far. The United States and the United Kingdom certainly didn't think that way during World War II. The Allied soldiers storming the beaches of Normandy weren't told to "think of the innocence of the enemy soldiers" as they were being mowed down by the enemy.

Falmuth is invading and attacking Tempest. What do you think would happen if Tempest lost the war. What would those innocent Falmuth soldiers be doing then, yeah, killing innocent civilians, raping civilians, looting, burning down buildings, all tons of other horrible atrocities. This is stuff we all should know from our own and current history.

Don't know if it is the LN or the manga, but they had a short interlude about one of the Falmuth soldiers, hearing all the talk from his fellow soldiers spoiler[about all the evil stuff they were going to do in Tempest. They were basically acting like Viking raiders.]

So I really don't have an ounce of mercy for Falmuth. Nor is Falmuth an exaggeration of evil caricatures. Our world is full of evil organizations, evil nations, evil militias, evil bandits, evil kidnappers. It is in the news everyday, though you have to watch the BBC if you want to hear about the rest of the world, if you live in the United States.

I have no problem with Rimuru taking out, killing, or whatever Falmuth's troops. They are at war. It is either you or the enemy. For the leader of the nation or the general commanding the troops, it is your responsibility to protect your people and your troops from the enemy, and not to worry about the enemy soldiers lives.

The price for losing the war is total destruction and death. We all have read the histories of cities that lost their wars, and we all know what follows. It is not pretty.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If 20,000 German SS troops were marching towards your town after having brutally slaughtered innocent civilians, including women and children, and after saying they would be back with a stronger force to finish the job, would you worry about some of them being innocent, or would you do your darnedest to slaughter them all? I'd definitely slaughter them, both to remove the threat and to act as a warning to anyone else from launching an unprovoked attack on your people.

Also, keep in mind that Tempest is still surrounded by a smaller, but still strong military force from that very same nation... the force that has already slaughtered Tempest civilians.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mm, to clarify -- my point wasn't at all that the show couldn't contrive circumstances in which Rimuru killing all the enemy troops would be the most reasonable thing to do. It was that the show shouldn't exploit that as a way to flippantly wave off the apparent high cost in blood for Rimuru resurrecting his friends. We should see him struggle with that choice, or with the fallout from it.

Even if, for example, you choose to write a story where Rimuru and Tempest are so beset that he's forced to fully dehumanize the enemy soldiers to justify what he is forced to do, that is in itself a weighty psychological cost to pay, and should be portrayed with care & gravity. I don't see Slime doing that, though, and worry that this is all just a cheap feint to manipulate viewers' emotions before writing some goofy deus-ex-Slime artifice into the story to avoid his having to make hard choices or deal with their fallout. Or, worse, that it might treat all of its bad guys as so unrepentantly villainous that the show doesn't care a bit about appreciating great violence done to them, whether or not Rimuru must harden himself against empathy.

But this isn't the kind of show Slime has been to date. It's been a goofy slice-of-life affair with a protagonist who struggles at nothing -- a much lighter, airier show than the above requires. Hence, I worry that this arc's storytelling will fail to live up to the conflict it has built up for Rimuru so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 45