• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Anime Characters.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:21 am Reply with quote
Alright. in writing this we are a bit past half way of Winter 2022, and we have had a number of characters that might fit this topic, such as at least two isekai that have a male character gender bending.

The first real one I want to talk about is Wolf Bete from Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department. Wolf is a little strange with this topic, seeming as his story was as a monster made to fight a hero, but some interference from the boss made some adjustments, which meant he was born inside of a cuter female body, while still having his male mind. Pretty much meaning that he is a trans man. I was a little worried that the show would just make a joke, and just have it trying convince him that he should just be a girl, but it surprised me by bringing up that Wolf is working to get the body he would feel comfortable with. I think it even brought up it being acknowledged that he would be allowed to use the restroom that he would find more comfortable with. At least via subtitles it is actually pretty affirming by using he/him pronouns for him, even if some people still appear to misgender him. But also the show, also feels like it often treats him like a piece of the female character fanservice, despite his insistence that he is not.

Genderbending isekai number 1 is Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout, which hinted via the series name is about two friends who isekai into a fantasy world, one of which is turned into a girl. I was a little worried at first, seeing as the romance forced on them is pretty clear, but I have actually enjoyed it a good deal. Probably my favourite relevant here that maybe he wasn't the just masculine person he thought, along with feelings were not as just friends. It kind of also feels like he isn't sometimes just vibing the change.

The other genderbending isekai is She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man, which I kind of feel as a lesser one, for elements of it doesn't really feel like it has focused on the fact that it is apparently a guy that accidentally got turned into a girl. It kind of gave me the sort of theory that maybe it was a misdirect, that perhaps the original human was actually a woman, who was roleplaying being male with the Gandalf character. It could even give credence to why their friend created a young boy character. But really, it doesn't really feel like the show really focused on the whole gender thing, outside of the main character being forced into more feminine clothes on occasion.

And the only real one left to mention is Requiem of the Rose King, which fits into some special places on this list, just as I also included it in the non-heterosexual characters. Most notably, the main character, Richard, is intersex. we know that he has grown sort of breasts, befitting a female chest, and he has more male genitals, although apparently clear as a baby as not typical of a male. He is insistent that he is a man, usually trying to hide his more feminine features, but he has occasionally so far had to present as a woman. It is a bit messy, as the story implies through a lot of its dramatic parts that he is supressing parts of himself, where he externalises his female side as an evil being, strongly influenced by his society. He at least is a big ball of angst over gender, and what it would mean to conform to it, so I do think he is worth mentioning.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
What about Rosemary from Delicious Party Pretty Cure? I think he's pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
What about Rosemary from Delicious Party Pretty Cure? I think he's pretty cool.

Oh shoot, I did mean to talk about Rosemary, but forgot.

Rosemary at current kind of fits in an odd position, in that I can't quite tell what to put them under. They have a more masculine build and deeper voice, which gives the impression that they are at least AMAB, while their presentation is more feminine , including an evidently feminine name, although other parts of their presentation do lean masculine such as their evidently transformed mode. I might be wrong, but I think that a lot of audiences have just thought as "he", as in Japanese they mostly get referred to as "-chan", despite one of Rosemary's main interests being beauty.

But at the very least Rosemary would be gender nonconforming. With the caveat that I have seen of some people seeing them as a tired stereotype of a gay man, the Onee. But I don't think that there has been anything really offensive around that sort of thing yet, in fact this shoujo anime has seen Rosemary as pretty valid.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
@Dusky Predator

Concerning She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man the anime doesn't mention it as I remember, but Luminaria, the busty, red haired mage was also a male in real life who played with a female avatar on purpose. Of course she has functioned as a female for the last twenty years since the game became real.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7