• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
re: Super Cub
Anyone remember Junichi Sato's One Off from nine years ago? Also a Cute Girls Riding Honda Motorcycles show. I'd guess the novel writer did.

I do, was thinking about that one last night actually.

Also the main girl in Bakuon rode a Honda CB400 (Su-Four), though that series wasn't featuring Honda exclusively. Either way the company's definitely no stranger to anime.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Anyone remember Junichi Sato's One Off from nine years ago? Also a Cute Girls Riding Honda Motorcycles show. I'd guess the novel writer did.

Yes, I really liked that.

I enjoyed the first episode of Super Cub too, I suspect this will also wind up being a relaxing show about a lonely girl who finds friends to bond with over their shared love of Honda motorcycles. Sounds right up my street!

(But seriously, it's that easy to get a bike license in Japan? Just answer some questions from the cheat book the dealer's given you and off you go?)
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
Super Cub: I already knew this from reading the manga adaptation, but this show's definitely a keeper. And it's a good adaptation, despite the obvious cutbacks. I like the background and sound design in particular.

I enjoyed it too, more than I expected to. I mean I like SOL, but SOL starring a person dealing with chronic depression is a bit of a departure from the usual. I definitely plan to keep watching though, at least for now. Going to be interesting to see what happens if it gets voted for weekly coverage though, since all the reviewers seem to want nothing more to do with it.

Hopefully it gets the pass, I'll definitely vote for it (besides Precure, Higehiro and Dynazenon, of the shows I'm watching so far).

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Thanks, now I added that one on my list.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dop.L"]
Spastic Minnow wrote:

(But seriously, it's that easy to get a bike license in Japan? Just answer some questions from the cheat book the dealer's given you and off you go?)

More than that she got it in a day and apparently didn't even learned that moped need fuel in the process! I liked it, but I think she went from depressed to happy a bit too fast from just getting a moped, has she never touched anything fun in her life before?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Still several more shows to go. Don't know why it feels a much longer start between shows, but I checked and it has only been 5 days. So we should be getting new reviews through the weekend.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, there's a lot left to go.

Today (Thursday): 5 titles, all picked up
Friday: 5 titles, but one's a short, one's a Cardfight!! installment, and one's a kid-oriented mecha series.
Saturday: The big day, with 7 titles, six of which are already picked up and the seventh (Pretty Boy Detective Club) which is most likely an unannounced CR title. One (Eden's Zero) is most likely Netflix-jailed.
Sunday: 2 titles, though one is most likely a short
TU-SA next week: four titles, all picked up by CR.

So there's 16-18 titles which could still hit the PG. We're only about 60% done at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

We're only about 60% done at this point.

*bursts into sobs*
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Saturday: The big day, with 7 titles, six of which are already picked up and the seventh (Pretty Boy Detective Club) which is most likely an unannounced CR title. One (Eden's Zero) is most likely Netflix-jailed.

Pretty Boy Detective Club was picked up by Funimation a few days ago.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Pretty Boy Detective Club was picked up by Funimation a few days ago.

Thanks for the mention; I had somehow missed that on my list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spegasaur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good start to the season so far, although the lack of Laid-back Camp and Non Non Biyori is being felt...

Kiyo in Kyoto: OP sounds like lift music, which is a bit depressing. Other than that, it's a fine CGDCT show, although I think it would work better as a weekly short than a monthly 25min compilation.

Farewell, My Dear Cramer: The story was... OK? I'm probably not the target audience, but I found the character design (eyes and lips, especially) off-putting, and the fact wire fences disappear in front of faces was... strange.

HigeHiro: I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. I do like how the guy is saying all the right things, but the camera work suggests he's not quite as virtuous as he wants to be. And that's fine; everyone should try and be a better person. The only thing that puts me off is how he keeps on calling the girl "Spoiled"; maybe this is a translation thing, but I'm not seeing it. Also, the girl seems remarkably well adjusted for what she has apparently gone through.

Odd Taxi: Brilliant first episode. Definite noir atmosphere; the sense of an unreliable narrator, seemingly unconnected snippets of conversation giving an outline of Bad Things Happening... I'm not quite sure how it's going to be able to maintain it's promise for a whole season, but I'll be keen to see how it goes.

Vivy -Flourite Eye's Song-: Nice animation, reasonable (if seemingly unoriginal) set up, an novel attempt to provide a non-human psychology to AIs; I can see why people like it. However, the AI from the future is intensely irritating (I can easily see it being the cause of the AI future war, and thus a stable timeloop), and the anime seems to be happy treating characters as plot devices. So a skip from me (unless future reviews are a lot rosier that I expect)

Dragon Goes House-Hunting: I was looking forward to this, but so far it's disappointing. Not really funny, and I found the main character (and the main character's voice) annoying. However (and I'm guessing this is wishful thinking on my part), but did the OP show a guest appearance by Hakumei and Mikochi? If so, I might hang around for that...

SuperCub: Moped slice of life with depressed loner high school girl. Not a motorbike fan, but this looks like it could be good. It is slightly scary how little the girl knows about driving to start with, though. Just as well the roads look quiet, or this could go down a much more depressing route than I'm hoping for.

So a few keepers, and a few more "keep watching for now"s...
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I appreciate wanting to handle a serious topic with a dose of scantily-clad male; I'm just not sure how well it comes together.

It comes together about as well as all the shows trying to handle serious topics with a dose of Cute Anime Girls, I suppose. (All those PAW shows with cutie girls with permablushes, rest of the world and character design be damned, all those dramas where the female characters still look and talk moe, are wearing fanservicey outfits and/or are infantilized to hell and back, etc...) Except this show is very self-aware about this, and is not even trying to take itself seriously, keeping its tongue very firmly in its cheek.

I'd been looking forward to Fairy Ranmaru for months now, but nothing could have prepared me for how amazing it was. This and Megalo Box 2 are absolutely my favorites so far, and if they keep it up, the rest of the year is going to have to work really hard to top them.

Last edited by SHD on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I only skimmed through it and I'm not sure if I'll end up watching it, but the animation in Super Cub didn't look great even from those brief glances. Hopefully it improves for it's audience.

Sven Viking wrote:

What Covnam is saying is that within in the world of Full Dive, accepting that hyper-realistic games went out of fashion for various reasons, it still seems to make little sense that some of the more general-purpose features like advanced AI haven’t carried over to newer games. (I think things like the sense of touch are supposed to *exist* in newer games but in a more rudimentary form.)

There are some cases in real game development where a game is ahead of its time and isn’t immediately copied (e.g. vector animation in Another World or voxel tech in Outcast) or where progress essentially goes backwards — for example, the average for max player counts in multiplayer shooters had been increasing over time but suddenly dropped down to single digits when developers started targeting consoles over PC, and stayed down for years. It looks unlikely that there’ll be a plausible justification for it in Full Dive though.

Exactly, thank you. There's a bunch of other things I could nit pick about, but I feel I should give it an episode or two to see if they give more information on various aspects we've seen.
Nothing that would hopefully ruin my enjoyment mind you, just little things I wondered about while watching.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I was very impressed by Super Cub. I went in after forgetting what it was supposed to be about other than being on my list, but remembering wouldn't change anything: I wasn't expecting a broody slice of life about a 'low-energy' girl discovering a new hobby entirely on her own (well, with the help of a more than generoud grampa).
I didn't expect that depressed atmosphere to be kept to the end, and it is not negative, since despite that there was a lot of beauty to be found in the relaxed and quiet parts of the world and Koguma's (of course her name is "bear cub") unassuming and nihilistic routine. And that subdued tone helps highlight those tiny and very relatable sparks of joy and excitement she feels when looking at and thinking of her new toy. And despite all that tranquility it was such a bold move to out out a premiere this 'gray', with dialogue being kept down to almost zero and only featuring one character and a half.

I'm the kind of person that loves to dive into the bright and cheery worlds of Kirara series, but this opposite is so unique that I'm loving it. I'm not a fan of the rigid formulas and predictable trappings of hobby anime and this one managed to subvert them all. I hope they can keep this melancholic air that elevates the small beauties and joys of life in such a peaceful way after they introduce the extra characters. But it probably won't.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

I did, when I checked a seasonal chart. Baku-on was more memorable but this key art felt more in line with One-Off. Too bad it was one-off and we never got more OVAs or a TV series.[/i]
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

I suspect it's anime rules being applied in that show. I don't know about mopeds, but Bakuon had a fairly detailed ep about training on a driving course. Again, it's just anime, but what it showed was pretty thorough. And in another ep, they showed a kid fail the driving test.

She did have a strange situation, she had raced in a league for under 10 year olds and everyone knew she was a champion there, so, literally, nobody tried to teach her anything about street driving. So she screwed up all over the place trying to use a street-legal bike. It wasn't humorous so much as painful, at least to me.

An aside: what wasn't so good was the animation for the instructors made them look like big wooden manikins. Which was really strange, and very off-putting.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Friday: 5 titles, but one's a short, one's a Cardfight!! installment, and one's a kid-oriented

Wait, is there a second Cardfight Vanguard anime this season, I though it was just the one that already premiered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 25