• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higehiro

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Yeah, she was masturbating. Believe that was placed there to show Sayu feeling like she was at her lowest point after dealing with all the problems with her family and school life while explaining her backstory to Yoshida and Asami. The light novel shed more light on this with Sayu wanted to get her mind off her personal problems by doing bad things, but didn't have the nerve to try drinking beer or smoking cigarettes. So pleasuring herself became her outlet to escape thinking about her personal problems while at the hotel.

Indeed, she thought she was finally free to do what she wanted, but then she later realized that doing what she did offered no catharsis, since she is still trapped by her circumstances.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought that "weird scene" was a callback to tumbling-into-the-pit-of-despair point in Evangelion, then immediately forgot about it until the mention in the review.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Quote:
There's a blink-and-you'll-miss it cut during Sayu's depression montage where she's shown lying butt naked on her hotel bed, her hand covered in a viscous white substance. Since the episode clearly established that she didn't start sleeping around until after the hotel money ran dry, and that she wouldn't have even had a dude to invite over in the meantime, the only way I can possibly interpret that scene is that she was masturbating. If so…why did the show feel the need to include that?

Yeah, she was masturbating. Believe that was placed there to show Sayu feeling like she was at her lowest point after dealing with all the problems with her family and school life while explaining her backstory to Yoshida and Asami. The light novel shed more light on this with Sayu wanted to get her mind off her personal problems by doing bad things, but didn't have the nerve to try drinking beer or smoking cigarettes. So pleasuring herself became her outlet to escape thinking about her personal problems while at the hotel.

Without more context, even this is weird that she would assume masturbating is a "bad thing" ... like, I totally am on board with a book/movie/show/manga that uses masturbating in a way to explore and deal with confused, traumatic feelings, but it's also a normal thing to do. We don't really see her as sexually repressed or anything. And the only other "sex thing" in this show is her sleeping with random dudes as payment for staying with them, so it comes across as tonally off or like there's some connection there, which is mehhh.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
Gotta say, it really is unfortunate timing that this show came out right after Wonder Egg Priority. Sayu's backstory is fine enough, but I couldn't help but spend the entire episode thinking about how WEP had essentially the exact same backstory for Ai and handled it so much better.

That must be why I had a generally more positive reaction to this episode, then: I haven't seen WEP past the first episode.

I will agree, though, that the episode felt like it fell a little short of what it could have achieved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:21 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Whew, Kousuke Toriumi at his oilest here, gross.

Kouhai rapidly losing waifu cred. I can only hope that context got scraped away like Yoshida's ex during the journey to the screen.

There was - in source they were talking about the (missing from anime) ex, which makes IMHO both of their points more reasonable, especially Gotou's point "if Yoshida still loves her, what you gonna do?"

EDIT: There were few important scenes that were worse then in the source: Asami's rage at the rapist and her speech felt much stronger then what was animated, and it wouldn't take much to make this scene stronger.
Sayu actually notices the fact that rapist broke the promise not to rape her even if he kept the blackmail promise and then behaved like it it was obvious, and that makes it at least better reason for her getting over him if she realizes he's self-deluding, rather then anime version were it sounds only like she's impressed with him being a promise-keeper, despite the fact that keeping it costs him nothing and breaking it would be very risky for rapist as well, perhaps more then for her and Yoshida (Why did she even let a blackmailer to her - and Yoshida's - home? She clearly has a record of making horrible decisions).

There is still lot of weird decision in the source as well. I felt like the whole discussion between Yoshida and Yaguchi would make more sense without the whole blackmail and rape, where we could at least consider the idea that Yaguchi has a point about Yoshida being criminal as well. As it happened, it Yoshida should react like Asami, maybe without the slap, rather then meekly defending himself to guy he threw of his roommate.Also, should the fact that they couldn't even report him to police be strong alarm for them that that whole deal is not sustainable and leaves Sayu still very vulnerable, even if not as much as on the streets?

The whole situation with Airi first rejecting Yoshida with lie to the point we could get to show's promise, then take the rejection back just in time for office harem, then to put their relation on backburner and disappearing Airi from the show so we can get progress on SayuxYoshida ship seems also contrived. Also, why suddenly make OL harem for supposedly lonely salaryman so big part of it can be cut from anime without much harm, and make it irrelevant halfway in the story? Unless we'll get surprised with actual Gotou ending that is, but so far we seem to be going on Sayu's route.

And on the whole Sayu's backstory I start to agree with opinion I've seen in few places , that it looks too much like it was prepared backwards from the premise of the show, to make reason for Sayu appearing to Yoshida in the exact mindset she was in first episode. That what makes that past kinda awkward and underwhelming - the whole suicide story is only there so Sayu can feel guilty but be actually innocent, and the brother's hotel money situation is to make her brother look like good family, while explaining why her family didn't alert police.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
And on the whole Sayu's backstory I start to agree with opinion I've seen in few places , that it looks too much like it was prepared backwards from the premise of the show, to make reason for Sayu appearing to Yoshida in the exact mindset she was in first episode.

How else would you expect a backstory to be written? Backstories can certainly be badly written, but the flaw is in the bad writing - not that they set up the main story. Setting up the main story is the reason they exist in the first place.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
And on the whole Sayu's backstory I start to agree with opinion I've seen in few places , that it looks too much like it was prepared backwards from the premise of the show, to make reason for Sayu appearing to Yoshida in the exact mindset she was in first episode.

How else would you expect a backstory to be written? Backstories can certainly be badly written, but the flaw is in the bad writing - not that they set up the main story. Setting up the main story is the reason they exist in the first place.

True, but that goal should be invisible to us as we are going through the backstory, it should be seamless with the main story. My problem is that lot of characters' decisions are weird and seem to make more sense when we consider author intent, rather then being intrinsically obvious when considering what we know about the characters.
Eragonnogare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a blink-and-you'll-miss it cut during Sayu's depression montage where she's shown lying butt naked on her hotel bed, her hand covered in a viscous white substance. Since the episode clearly established that she didn't start sleeping around until after the hotel money ran dry, and that she wouldn't have even had a dude to invite over in the meantime, the only way I can possibly interpret that scene is that she was masturbating. If so…why did the show feel the need to include that?

The way I interpreted it (after thinking on it for a moment) was that I'm pretty sure it was overlayed with dialog basically about how dead she felt, and so it was to show that she did stuff like masturbating but even that didn't get her to feel anything. Not defending it, but that is what I'm pretty sure was intended, which... Probably at least slightly better than the "it's an example of the bad stuff she did" interpretation.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote
Another car-crash episode - Why did they cut Gotou finding Sayu stood outside the office waiting for Yoshida and Gotou taking Sayu home?

They cut out the whole Gotou being a high school run-away, almost being raped by a bunch of men, being rescued by a man who took her in until she felt she was able to go back home side-story. Plus Gotou looked almost identical to Sayu at her age. Which explains 100% why Gotou acts like she does with men and Sayu.

The last episode was bad enough with the butchered adaptation of Sayu's backstory. in fact it's been descending into adaptation hell since the attempted rape scene...

Having read Vol 4 & 5 I'm tempted to drop it as squeezing the last sections into the remaining episodes is just going to scream "Cliche" as badly as the adaptation is going.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Only if you accept legality as equivalent to morality.

"The law is such an ass." - Revenge for Honour (published by George Chapman in 1654)

Note that Revenge for Honour was a British play, so "ass" here means donkey like, not posterior like.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
C'mon Yoshida you gotta catch that slap.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
That's a really nice screen-cap for the episode 11 review image.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
C'mon Yoshida you gotta catch that slap.

That was pretty much my reaction too. I could see it coming from a mile away, so I don't know why it caught all three of them so off guard.
pip25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
Easily the worst episode so far, especially pacing-wise. It felt like they were padding things out, which would be an odd choice given the numbers of subplots they abandoned and likely won't get back to again considering where the story is now.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
completely agreeing with the reviewer for this one. some animes have *top episodes" where i feel like the anime characters stop being characters in a story, and atart acting like actors reading lines for a play ( i am particularly thinking about that episode from rezero).

another topic, because yoshida likes older women, i am lowkey expecting him to fall for sayu's mother, say what you want about it, but ita better than him and sayu becoming a couple ( though i guess what is talking here is my dating experience as a 30+ year old ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11