• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Resident Evil Live-Action Series Reveals Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:17 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
but Resident Evil is a franchise where (unless I'm wrong) every single major installment has in some way been an equal opportunity for women AND men.

Revelations 2 had 3 Three female characters and one male character. Which isn't exactly equal.

Ultimate N wrote:
Also while I could be wrong, I don't think Mila Jovovich was the only character in the Resident Evil movies to be competent

One of the biggest complaints about Alice was that she was a mary sue who overshadowed the canon cast.

Ultimate N wrote:
The problem is Resident Evil has both female AND male characters on the hero side of things so I don't exactly think excluding the male side of things is how representation should be done. I HOPE I've made it clear I am not anti-female representation, nor am I championing some kind of male supremacy or anything.

We know very little of the show beyond this point besides three of the main characters and it's premise.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Revelations 2 had 3 Three female characters and one male character. Which isn't exactly equal.

Other games featured male leads without playable female characters though so that's fine, and I assume the one male was still not some incompetent idiot.

Quote:
One of the biggest complaints about Alice was that she was a mary sue who overshadowed the canon cast.

That's fair. Don't really have a counter.

Quote:
We know very little of the show beyond this point besides three of the main characters and it's premise.
[/quote]

My main point is just that this seems to have no male leads which in most or at least the GOOD Resident Evil games was always something that happened. Both men AND women were heroes and badass, so this show being nothing but females in the leading/hero role (unless they're gonna make Albert Wesker in this story the good guy, or he's the main character and this is a story from the villain side. Like you said we don't fully know) then they're trying too hard.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Lance Reddick should be in everything.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:

My main point is just that this seems to have no male leads which in most or at least the GOOD Resident Evil games was always something that happened. Both men AND women were heroes and badass, so this show being nothing but females in the leading/hero role (unless they're gonna make Albert Wesker in this story the good guy, or he's the main character and this is a story from the villain side. Like you said we don't fully know) then they're trying too hard.

It's really a non issue to be honest. But for what's it worth your apprehensions aren't any worse than the people complaining about Lance Reddick's casting as Wesker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2