• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Detective Is Already Dead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
I did a quick wiki dive, and risked some spoilers, but according to the TDIAD Wiki, Char IS supposed to be called her 'ma'am' not 'Mom'.

That was luckily one of the first sentences so I had very very little spoiled for me, so Im all good still. Smile
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

No, Char clearly said "Mom!"; "Ma'am" is more of a "ma'am" sound.

Char was clearly saying ma'am. "Mom" would have sounded different.

Quote:

And I still think that's Siesta's eye; Yui being caught in a lie once doesn't prevent her from lying again.

I mean, she's been wearing the eyepatch and dancing as an idol for years, that's easily verified.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I was happy to see more Siesta this week, but that just makes me realize: I would have much preferred a second season of In/Spectre. It covers much the same territory, but with more cohesion and better plotting.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
I was happy to see more Siesta this week, but that just makes me realize: I would have much preferred a second season of In/Spectre. It covers much the same territory, but with more cohesion and better plotting.

A second season was announced back in November. No word on what season it's planned to release in yet. I do agree that it is the better series compared to this so far, even with the very slow pacing in the steel lady arc.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
This flashback arc is staking so long and focusing so much on Siesta that I've almost completely forgotten about Nagisa and the present-day plot, and at this rate they won't have much time to really develop the present-day cast and their story.

And they still have to develop Char and have her actually do something instead of being impersonated.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This flashback arc is staking so long and focusing so much on Siesta that I've almost completely forgotten about Nagisa and the present-day plot, and at this rate they won't have much time to really develop the present-day cast and their story.

And they still have to develop Char and have her actually do something instead of being impersonated.

1005 agree. This Flashback is going on FOREVER, and Im so bored of it I've started skimming rather than watching the episodes. Get back to the present already!!!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
I have to say:

spoiler[The terrorist organization being run by a sentient alien plant out to wipe out humanity by spreading it's seed was...so out-of-nowhere and random that it actually fit this show.

I was expecting better from Siesta's death.]

On the plus side, I like Charlotte more now that she's had more than a minute of screentime.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
What a mess episode 9 was! It's telling (for me) that it actually might have made more sense if spoiler[Siesta was revealed to be one of the alien spawn fighting against the collective, what with her blood-musket powers and quirky sense of what "detectives" do.]

I really want to like this show -- some of the characters have glimmers of promise -- but the anything-goes approach seems determined to squander my interest. Now, I'm just sticking with it to see what the wreckage looks like when it finally comes to rest.

The Anime is Already Dead
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
I'm ashamed it took Hel chucking Siesta's heart into her own chest for me to realize that she is Nagisa. The anime wasn't very subtle about it (although temporarily the part of "partnering up with Kimihiko" seemed to be about Alice).

About the organization, it seemed silly that they sent just a three-man unit (one of which was useless) to neutralize a terrorist organization, but then it turned out that the whole organization was like three guys and a kaiju chilling on an island.
And will they ever acknowledge the supernatural powers? Like Siesta's blood working like a vampire's (is Bat still under her control even in death?) and plant alien daddy's having enough clairvoyancy to write a book about it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I'm ashamed it took Hel chucking Siesta's heart into her own chest for me to realize that she is Nagisa. The anime wasn't very subtle about it (although temporarily the part of "partnering up with Kimihiko" seemed to be about Alice).

It hadn't quite dawned on me either, but in hindsight Nagisa really does look like an older Hel with long hair and a bigger chest area. Although in light of how Hel can apparently morph into different forms, I'm wondering how that works.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
Is that what's supposed to be going on? I was thinking I missed an entire episode, where Kimizuka got the heart back and it wound up as an organ-donor match.

So, the absence of a massive heart-transplant surgery scar on Nagisa's chest was a clue, not a mistake? I noticed immediately on Nagisa's second meeting with Kimizuka, when they were making a big deal of him staring at her chest: there's no way a heart-transplant recipient would wear an off-the-shoulder blouse (or bikini, later) that shows off the scar. At the time, I chalked it up to poor art direction and let it go.

It still doesn't make any sense. All of Episode 2 is based on the premise that Nagisa was an ordinary heart-transplant recipient who happened to receive Siesta's heart. Inspector Fuubi would have no reason to bring Kimizuka and Nagisa to Komori, if she didn't already know what he would be able to tell them. She admits as much, afterward. Between Episode 9 and Episode 2 (a year later in continuity), did Kimizuka (and Fuubi, presumably) simply forget where the heart wound up?

Alice, at least, was missing memories to cover her actions as Hel. How does Nagisa have all her memories (even if they are of being confined to a hospital)? Was it Hel, rather than Siesta's transplanted feelings, that drove Nagisa to find Kimizuka?

This show is a strong argument for setting rules in world-building and then abiding by them. "When anything is possible, nothing is interesting."
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not sure how I feel about Nagisa and the current story direction, if they're committing to Siesta's death. Can Nagisa carry the story as the de-facto Heroine? I guess maybe when we get the reveal about whatever her connection to Hel is (Kimizuka flashed to Siesta in Hel's outfit, so something is up).

On the other hand, I feel like I get Yui much better after her talk with Kimizuka.

All that talk about her buying a swimsuit and the episode barely shows off her and Yui in their swimsuits. I guess that's what the megami scan is for.

Charlotte seems like she's fun but they keep either writing her out or forgetting about her.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well. Let's see...

Quote:
Chameleon, in his giant monster-chameleon form because of course

Ayup.

At this 11th hour, I'm starting to wonder about Inspector Fuubi. Not only does she show up everywhere and seemingly know almost as much as Siesta about what's going on, but now she flies helicopters... because of course.

Quote:
[Siesta] somehow predicted and planned around the fact that she would get killed by a kaiju and have her heart carved out by Hel to be implanted in herself

She only needed to plan to be killed in front of or by Hel, whose next step was fairly predictable at this point. I had thought Siesta went down unusually easy.

Quote:
Hel's body is in fact the person we now know as Nagisa, with Siesta's personality incubating in there to suppress her evil side and save Alicia's true persona until she could awaken herself. How many people you got in there!

Two, one of whom has two alternate personalities. At least Kimihiko can have a harem ending where it is physically impossible for the girls he's four-timing to run into one another by accident -- although I suppose they can still compare notes.

Quote:
But from a purely mechanical standpoint, internal to the show, it does technically work and make everything from Nagisa's mysterious heart memories to Siesta's superpowered cyber blood make sense, or as much sense as anything else in this utterly bonkers narrative.

I still don't think it does make sense, even by the show's admittedly limp standards.

At this point I'm willing to concede that Inspector Fuubi might have known the truth all along and manipulated matters to bring Kimihiko and Nagisa together. The point still stands, however, that Nagisa has (had?) memories that don't match the lived experiences of Alicia or Hel. (I suppose they could be Siesta's, which opens a whole other can of wacky.)

More importantly, there's no possible gap in memories that would explain Kimihiko's actions for the year following Siesta's death. (I do like the call-back to the Hanako story, though, floral kaiju-pimples notwithstanding.) He apparently did not know that Siesta had taken over Hel's body. So why did he accept that Nagisa was the recipient of Siesta's heart as a medical transplant? If he remembered Hel taking the heart, he would have stopped at nothing to get it back or at least put Hel down for revenge. If he remembered only Siesta being killed by the kaiju, he still wouldn't have any context for her becoming a heart donor. If he lost all memories of the battle with the kaiju, he simply wouldn't believe that Siesta was dead and would stop at nothing until he found her.

Moreover, what made Siesta think that having her heart implanted in Hel/Alicia's body would allow her to take it over? It's not like she could have tested this out previously -- or could she? Here's a bit of fridge horror to think about: what if Siesta had pulled this stunt before, gaining a form of immortality by transplanting her personality along with her "little bit special" heart and blood into a string of victims. Even better, this time she gets shape-shifting powers and "saves" the Innocent Girl along the way. (And I do like that Alicia is standing with Siesta and gazing at Nagisa in the ED.)

Two final thoughts:

Did we really sit through eleven episodes (one double-length) so that Kimihiko could name-check Siesta in the most obvious last line ever?

What more could this show possibly inflict on us that would require yet another episode? As Nick Creamer said in his review a couple of years ago of another weirdly frustrating show, "Please never change."
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
Ughh this show, every new ep is just getting worse. Never mind that the characters are bland and annoying (except for Siesta and even then her characters also gives me wtf reaction) the plot keeps getting messier. This show is F*cking train wreck

Just one more just one more and it's over..... Crying or Very sad
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:16 am Reply with quote
The way Siesta died initially, I was sure there was some Batman gambit going on. But that she planned to use her personality within her heart to negate Hel's personality was like... what.
Also a disservice to Alicia to say that NagiNagi seeked Kimi just because of Siesta's traces. Alicia would also seek him out!

As for Siesta returning... her psyche annihilating Hel's seemed fair and she left enough of a legacy, so her return seems cheap and nullifies the drama. Then again, that the title was so upfront and how much characterization Siesta got in this kind of novel made me suspect from the get go that there was no way that she was going to be out of the story. And true enough, she wasn't.
Although my initial theories passed through her being a vampire (what with using her blood to enthrall...) so losing a heart or two might just be a minor inconvenience... guess I was wrong.

What's with Chameleon though? He used to be presented ad cunning, but in this episode he's just some brute, his plan gets completely derailed with a single shot and for most of the run he completely forgets he can turn invisible/untouchable which is something he used plentifully in the past.

michizure wrote:
More importantly, there's no possible gap in memories that would explain Kimihiko's actions for the year following Siesta's death. (I do like the call-back to the Hanako story, though, floral kaiju-pimples notwithstanding.) He apparently did not know that Siesta had taken over Hel's body. So why did he accept that Nagisa was the recipient of Siesta's heart as a medical transplant? If he remembered Hel taking the heart, he would have stopped at nothing to get it back or at least put Hel down for revenge. If he remembered only Siesta being killed by the kaiju, he still wouldn't have any context for her becoming a heart donor. If he lost all memories of the battle with the kaiju, he simply wouldn't believe that Siesta was dead and would stop at nothing until he found her.

Well, it's not like memory is one continuous film. It doesn't seem farfetched for someone to remember a person dying, and to have the sensation/knowledge that this person's heart is elsewhere, but drawing a blank on all the details.

Quote:
Chief among these is Nagisa herself, of course, who's chronic-illness backstory that effectively fueled so much of her character before is revealed as a fabrication, with many of the issues we were otherwise just addressing up in smoke now that we know who and what she really is. Her worries about not 'being special' or finding something she could do to make up for the part of her life she lost isn't applicable in the face of this multi-personality identity crisis her and the three other people sharing her body are now wrapped up in.

Something about this: Natsunagi's memories closely match whatever trace memories Alicia told us about. Compound it with the hospital stay she probably went through afterwards and it matches up well enough. As for feeling like she's nothing and wanting a destiny of her own, wasn't this pretty much Hel's worries? Hel pretended to achieve an identity by receiving someone's love, Nagisa wanted to achieve the same by being a "vessel" for Siesta's legacy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3