• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
...The entire plotting appears to be little more than retroactive "well, I planned that" after the improbable success of an until then undetailed plan, with terribly plodded explanations. The absurdity of a national broadcast of a signing competition in the immediate aftermath of the conquest of their nation from foreign invaders is just absurdity on top of absurdity...
On the last point first, the broadcast is said to be an "entertainment program" and not a competition but there is no indication how long it has been since the battle. However, whether because of compression or what, the timing does seem early given we know they lost 15,000 troops and I can't imagine anyone would just forget about that in a few days and start clapping along with the happy sunshine variety hour sponsored by their "murderers". Maybe they should have called it Dystopia Sing-along. Smile

To the first point, I can't think of any point where something was done and it "just happened" to work out well beyond all reasonability. As the audience, information on plans was kept secret until the plans were enacted but there were hints that things were in motion behind the scenes. I think that adds a nice touch to the atmosphere as we experience events along with most of the rest of the cast. The only thing I thought was egregiously plot-convenient was how Gaius was so stupid as to wait a full two (?) days to be let into a city and how he had his troops move in the dark through a mountain pass knowing that the enemy was likely there before and would be waiting when they got out as well. Not the most intelligent writing but still and all not terrible overall...
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 am Reply with quote
How do you make people to like you in the city you conquered after killing their king and soldiers (their sons/daughters)? Throw an idol show!
Seriously, the author does not understand how nations/nationalism works. Also, we don't have the slightest signal people in the principality hated their ruler. Rolling Eyes

But Carla asking Souma, why he is not fighting, well, she has seem his own father fight, maybe she was told the old king fought on his own, too...

Last edited by kgw on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Dayraven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How do you make people like you in the city you conquered after killing their king and soldiers (their sons/daughters)? Throw an idol show!

Turns out the MC’s copy of The Prince accidentally had a plot summary of Macross bound in with it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Turns out they didn't actually finish adapting the 4 first volumes in these 13 episodes. I'll refrain from discussing details of what will happen, but do wonder what the next season will adapt, because I don't really remember any good stopping point before spoiler[the marriages] and that's waaaaay forward
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This was, to me, a fine episode and a terrible finale. Nothing concluded, more opened up. Has another season been confirmed? I haven't seen such, and this definitely ended in a way that presumes more is forthcoming.

As far as the show on the whole- I found it enjoyable, though far from great. I did enjoy it a lot more once I got it through my thick skull that its version of "realist" and mine are very different things.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Ah, thank you. I had missed that, and it definitely makes a difference in what I feel about the ending.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it's getting a second season/cour if only because the lack of Liscia/actually resolving anything made this a pretty run-of-the-mill finale and it justified the slow pacing of the initial half.

Juna is officially the flirty cosplayer of these girls with the amount of outfits she has worn at this point.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Turns out they didn't actually finish adapting the 4 first volumes in these 13 episodes. I'll refrain from discussing details of what will happen, but do wonder what the next season will adapt, because I don't really remember any good stopping point before spoiler[the marriages] and that's waaaaay forward

spoiler[Giving up the Interim King title, maybe? I don't remember when that happened in the LNs, but it could easily be slotted in pretty much anywhere post-Amidonia.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8