• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InvertedIkemen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Part of my point is that in taking away the armies from the keys of power of a nation you are denying them a share of the pot. Which follows that without suitable compensation most key holders missing out will naturally move to rebellion unless faced with a even worse situation unless they comply. The Dukes operate as military, political and economic keys to the nation.

Note that I dont condemn the change. I am just pointing out that its very natural that people of those positions would refuse to comply unless faced with worse. It naturally moves to civil strife and purging of the current keyholders. A painful process.

We'll have to see what the role of Duchess Mermaid is going forward, since she's the only Duke right now to have accepted Souma's authority. It didn't sound like she was stripped of all military power, since there discussion of her territory retaining its position as the naval center of the country, but it's pretty unclear.

This doesn't completely satisfy your question, but frankly I think the show has treated the Dukes more as generals than figures of administrative importance. Obviously in real life Duchess Mermaid's city also has its economic position at risk, since as the only major port it risks losing a lot of its commercial importance to Souma's new city, but it didn't seem like the show considered that in this episode.

Amusingly, the show may have actually provided the "something worse" you talked about, in that both Souma and Duchess Mermaid recognize the offer of foreign reinforcements for what it truly is. The Dukes may lose some power if they agree to Souma's centralization of power, but it's highly unlikely that the invading nation would leave them alive, much less in control of any territory.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Part of my point is that in taking away the armies from the keys of power of a nation you are denying them a share of the pot. Which follows that without suitable compensation most key holders missing out will naturally move to rebellion unless faced with a even worse situation unless they comply. The Dukes operate as military, political and economic keys to the nation.

Note that I dont condemn the change. I am just pointing out that its very natural that people of those positions would refuse to comply unless faced with worse. It naturally moves to civil strife and purging of the current keyholders. A painful process.

I don't really see why it matters, they were already planning a rebellion before they knew his intentions. It's the whole reason he had to force the issue.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see at least one of the Duke's was reasonable and actually bent the knee, since all Excel wanted was her autonomy and kingdom taken care of, she didn't have higher aspirations. And thanks to Juna she knew Souma was trustworthy.

I guess it's also kind of interesting that her fellow Duke Castor is also apparently her son-in-law, which is why she wanted him to leave her daughter and grandkids out of this foolishness, but it turns out Carla's as hardheaded as her father. For Liscia's friend, she sure seems to completely misunderstand Liscia's situation.

I...really did not care for Liscia's haircut. I know, I know, it's a classic cliche for a female character to show they're serious or to show newfound resolve...but it just felt really unnecessary here, and a waste of a good ponytail. I hope it grows back.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
^ I still think she looks cute that way! Also, in our world, there were several cultures where leaders grew out their hair and cutting it off was a sign of war or serious intent to battle so I think it was a nice touch to show her military superior how serious she was. It seemed she intended to use that as a last-ditch effort to get Duke Carmine to reconsider his (dumb) position.

I also disagree that the Dukes would inevitably refuse to comply with the King's military reorganization as if leaders like those are universally only motivated by money and power. I know some political parties here are... but a realistic leader has to consider all aspects of any major policy decision, especially a rebellion. That aside, the "obvious" reason the writer set this up was to showcase the basic three orientations to the new king, check him out and accept his authority provisionally, reject him out of hand or take a cautiously neutral stance and see how things go. We thus see what consequences each option has separately as well as in concert.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

spoiler[Nah he knows why as he was told during the meeting with Glaive.]

spoiler[Did he? The entire thing? Honestly, with the manga behind monthly I easily could have forgotten that detail by now]
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
The whole thing smacked of a setup to me: The "plan" was never put to viewers or explained outright- which is suspicious in a show that likes to explain why its lead is So Very Clever. This leads me to think there will be at least one "Gotcha" moment.

Agreed on the haircut though- given her circumstances (arranged marriage to a supposed usurper), and what the dukes may be presuming about their relationship, a full throated chastisement of the dukes' behavior would have said as much, if not more than any Meaningful Haircut. But I dislike the trope a bit, and the new hair do especially, so I'm not unbiased.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^ I still think she looks cute that way! Also, in our world, there were several cultures where leaders grew out their hair and cutting it off was a sign of war or serious intent to battle so I think it was a nice touch to show her military superior how serious she was. It seemed she intended to use that as a last-ditch effort to get Duke Carmine to reconsider his (dumb) position.

Liscia is definitely still cute but I'm not sure if she can pull off a bob cut. I guess it just didn't have the intended effect on me.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
The whole thing smacked of a setup to me: The "plan" was never put to viewers or explained outright- which is suspicious in a show that likes to explain why its lead is So Very Clever. This leads me to think there will be at least one "Gotcha" moment.

spoiler[There will be]. Carmine may be a lion to symbolize his bravery, but a fox may have been more apt.
Newshawk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
While I realize that episode 10 is a jarring change from the previous nine episodes, it seems realistic to me. Sudden sneak attacks are the nature of war. The attack on Pearl Harbor is only one example I can come up with on the fly, but it more than proves my point.

I haven't been in the discussion until now, but Realist Hero is one of the series I always look forward to watching. It's definitely not the usual isekai but that's because it dares to go against conventions.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The action animation may not be the best but I'm still invested in the political planning and character relationships...is Kaede planning to ask Hal to marry her?

That plus Castor and his family starting to realize they may have jumped the gun on fighting Souma but have come too far to turn back, only to end up being completely outplayed by a clever use of Living Poltergeist and a souped-up land battleship.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
demon's duchy

Dragonnewts aren't demons :p
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
being able to summon a castle overnight right under the enemy's nose is thanks to a combination of her powerful ritual magic and Souma's knowledge of standardized two-by-four planks.

And maybe his knowledge of Toyotomi's Sunomata Castle, aka “Ichiya-jo” (one night castle), right down to the idea to build with pre-fab parts. Smile
dandon223

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hidden Army battles the forces of the three dukes.

Hidden army only has to fight 2 dukes, as Excel Walter took the knee.
Quote:
two giant beasts of burden that can pull a steel-plated battleship

Battleship is from Excel, since she is a duke that has naval army.
Quote:
surprise a demon's duchy

Those are not demons but dragonewts. Demons are in the north (the ones that every other race fights against).

I hope reviewer will focus more on what is happening in the series.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
^^ Well said! I don't see how someone viewing week to week can have any "whiplash" because the events of Ep10 are on a direct line of an undercurrent from as far back as Ep1. Ep9 even set the stage so there shouldn't be any surprise. That the action isn't 100% predictable this Ep is a testament to good writing and planning. And echoing/paraphrasing FLCL Ep5, yeah dragonewts aren't demons (or dragons), that's just a misconception...
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the pacing comes down to having to put the entire series into 1 or 2 Cour's (Hopefully). I bet if you read the source material there's alot of nuances that are missed. The series so far has felt closer towards Code Geass with 1000 IQ Moments then Mayou with its simpler do this, get this, instant results.

Hopefully in the next episode we get some more details how the castle was built, but i doubt it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8