• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
So far, this season sounds like it has the same problem as the first season: most of the show is good and even heart-warming, but there's just enough moments of uncomfortable fanservice involving an older dragon character and an underage kid that becomes a missing stair that the show (and its fandom) have to work around.
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
If anything, this season focuses more on the characters than an actual story. Slice of life isn't the right word, but maybe a day in the life? The backstories were nice. Also, they toned down Saikawa's reactions whenever she happens to touch Kanna. I'm guessing people got into this show because of KyoAni without realizing the manga is raunchier than the anime. The Luoca and Shota thing is just a running gag of the series.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
I realized in this recent episode that the Shouta "joke" isn't that he's uncomfortable being sexually harassed, but that he's angry that Lucoa would tease him and not feel any shame/modesty because she sees him as a little kid and he wants her to see him as an adult / man / master (to a familiar).

That honestly makes a lot more sense and swings their antics less "icky" IMO.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I realized in this recent episode that the Shouta "joke" isn't that he's uncomfortable being sexually harassed, but that he's angry that Lucoa would tease him and not feel any shame/modesty because she sees him as a little kid and he wants her to see him as an adult / man / master (to a familiar).

I'm pretty sure the point of those "joke" is just "BEWWWWWWBS!" and anything esle is secondary to try and justify their existence.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

The "joke" is for the Fanservice,

The story's basis behind the joke is that Shouta thinks/thought Lucoa is/was a succubus.
Lucoa continues to harass Shouta because of that miss-belief and as a bit of show of power-she's a former a god ya know and not a servant.
(Lucoa=Quetzalcoatl the god who,while wasted/drunk,defiled his sister and then offed himself by immolation)
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I'm pretty sure the point of those "joke" is just "BEWWWWWWBS!" and anything esle is secondary to try and justify their existence.

Oh yeah for sure that’s the primary purpose lol
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It was nice seeing the nod to the Coolkyousinnjya style with the doujin Fafnir was making.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, they may be the first time I've noticed a direct reference from Kanna about the Ainu. I always suspected her character design was based on Ainu clothing, but hadn't noticed any other references in the past.

Aside from Kanna's full name being the name of the Ainu god of lightning (literally translating to "upper god"), in the episode where she goes to school for the first time she mentions being from Ushishir island, which is a real place historically connected to certain Ainu groups.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
Also, they may be the first time I've noticed a direct reference from Kanna about the Ainu. I always suspected her character design was based on Ainu clothing, but hadn't noticed any other references in the past.

Aside from Kanna's full name being the name of the Ainu god of lightning (literally translating to "upper god"), in the episode where she goes to school for the first time she mentions being from Ushishir island, which is a real place historically connected to certain Ainu groups.

And her father is Kimun Kamui -> Kim-un-kamuy, the Ainu God of bears and mountains.
Envyus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:

Said Island is outright said to be Kanna Kamuy’s sacred place, and along with being the Ainu thunder and lightning deity, they are also depicted as a dragon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
three school girls carrying what I think were traditional Japanese bows

Also impressive is that during the conversation, with the camera pov switching between the two dragons, they did not forget that those girls walked by and kept walking. After Tohru calls Elma a pig and walks off, you can still see the trio way off in the distance down the street.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
And her father is Kimun Kamui -> Kim-un-kamuy, the Ainu God of bears and mountains.

Which, given what his human form looks like, is even more appropriate.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I was really taken by the music playing in the background during Tohru's contemplating being alone at night. It fit perfectly setting the mood as Kobayashi woke and joined her. It's these moments that, for me, make this series so unique and wonderfully serene.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:55 am Reply with quote
I really liked the doll segment in the latest episode. This show is a fascinating juxtaposition of wholesomeness and gratuitous jubblies that few others could pull off.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Overall pretty decent new episode. A very funny middle section(with I think a record number of dumb/smug/funny Tohru faces) and routinely wholesome last section carried the episode. Elma screaming while manically running through the forest, smashing her face on branches and shrubs was a good bit. In the last section, think Fafnir actually thought it was going to be a death match, so him realizing he was in a wholesome episode, calling it stupid, and leaving was funny.

The first section began like it realllllly wanted to say something about overwork/office culture, but then just soft-balls it into a joke and/or the series-standard "that's just the way things are"-stance. It's dismissive, and Kobyashi's work ethic is(I think) supposed to come off as noble, but just feels lame and sad. You'd think this would've been a good opportunity for Mr Magatsuchi to like, agree and magically make their office a better place, but nope, let's just double down on the stereotypes for the lols.

The short part with Taketo creeping on Ilulu was dumb, aside from her correctly assuming he'd creep and catching him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10