• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animator Dorm Project: "About 90% of Animators Quit Their Jobs Within 3 Years"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I am not surprised at all. Japanese business dictates that the person who has been working for decades gets to be the top earner, even if he does nothing to show for it. Also, the almost non-existent work/life balance does not help. I really think Japan needs to figure this stuff out soon, or it will be detrimental to them.

Work burnout is universal, but manga, animators seem to get it the worse. I have never seen this problem in American comics, and I think that is due to the team oriented nature of it. I think Japan as a whole makes great stuff, but this should not cost them physical or mental health.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought mapa was being unusually stingy with its pay for in-between animators
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I keep wondering when they'll hit a point where studios can't replace workers because people don't want to go into the field anymore. The overwork and underpay isn't exactly new or a secret, and yet there is still more anime made than a person can reasonably watch. They rely so much on the allure of getting to work on anime as someone's dream job, and it's a shame that so many get chewed up and spit out like that.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I keep wondering when they'll hit a point where studios can't replace workers because people don't want to go into the field anymore.

Then they'll just outsource for as long as they can. That's the thing, the reason why they can get away with paying as little as they do: there's always someone willing to work for cheaper, because competition keeps driving rates down. It's a vicious circle affecting the entire industry. I'm sure that it will all come crashing down at one point, in one way or another, but it'll take a bit longer.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The fact that anime even gets produced is must be some kind of anamoly. 90%?!?! Like if the anime industry only produced a very small number of high quality movies every year and only needed the best of the best, mabye that would make sense but it has been pushing 300-350+ shows a year (which only looks increase now that everyone and their cat wants an anime). Though there has been a influx of foreign animators in recent years but even that has its own can of worms to it. At some point the math has to add up and I wonder if the anime industry will go up in a bang or whispee
DaResidentDouche

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Isn't like the "minimum wage" excuse basically only just the "sidechick" or bonus for the animators. Pretty sure the real reason it is 90% that quit within 3 years is so that they can jump up the ladder and beef up their portfolio faster just like with any other 9 to 5 mid class gigs.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I've met Jun Sugiwara (head of the Animator Dormitory Project) several times at Animazement throughout the years and have supported the Dormitory Project through its various platforms for an equally long time. I also donated to their Patreon at the highest monthly tier.

For those of you wanting to directly support those involved in the actual creation of the anime and manga you love, this is a great way to do so.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Rise and Fall of a Comic Empire series by SF Debris, and there's a bit talking about when Todd McFarlane, Jim Lee and the other superstar artists of the 90s left Marvel to start their own competing company. One of the editors was asked if this was a problem and he basically scoffed and said not really because there's always gonna be more artists who will jump at the chance to work for Marvel.

I get the sense the Japanese animation industry relies on a similar ethos. When so many of these young animators are clearly fans who got into it because they love the medium, the people up top probably view them as expendable since there will always be more fans who want to animate for them.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not surprised at all. Japanese business dictates that the person who has been working for decades gets to be the top earner, even if he does nothing to show for it. Also, the almost non-existent work/life balance does not help. I really think Japan needs to figure this stuff out soon, or it will be detrimental to them.

Work burnout is universal, but manga, animators seem to get it the worse. I have never seen this problem in American comics, and I think that is due to the team oriented nature of it. I think Japan as a whole makes great stuff, but this should not cost them physical or mental health.

Work conditions in Japan are improving but it is still a country stooped in tradition and working hard/diligently is still a highly-held cultural value. I understand that there's merit in working hard but I think a friend hit the nail on the head once when he mentioned that overwork is actually inefficient and counter-productive in the long-term. There are occasions where people who're passionate about what they do who work anti-social hours or several days in a row to produce something amazing but its important for there to be a balance, otherwise you end up burning out talented young working professionals early on in their careers.

There has to be a change on a cultural and national level before the work/life balance will become more reasonable (and perhaps Japanese workers not doing hours of free overtime to be seen as hard-working for the company might help towards achieving a work life similar to approaches in the West).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1