• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars: Visions Anime Shorts Posts English/Japanese Trailers, Casts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Upon further thought, it doesn't surprise me the trailer has avoided the hate mob (so far). Star Wars is now part of the culture war, but it is difficult for the youtube grifters to place anime productions into one side or the other. I have a feeling this will largely be ignored, which might be for the best as it will allow room for sensible discussion.

ryanvamp wrote:
You could also consider the possibility that the Disney Trilogy was astonishingly bad, creating a lot of ill will, while this looks promising, competently made and outsourced to other production companies that do not share that baggage of bad releases. At least that's my opinion and I'm gonna take a wild guess and say there's a chance a lot of people share that feeling.

I appreciate this comment because it implies that Star Wars fans have no agency: "It isn't our fault we have devolved into a mindless, hate-filled mob that harasses actors, directors, writers, and executives with our vile garbage. Disney did this to us! If you would just do what we want Disney, we would stop beating you!"

It always amazes me that the new trilogy (which were ultimately average), made as sequels to an original film trilogy already tarnished by prequels, have impacted the discourse to this degree. I suppose some would say that was Disney's fault too? Yikes.

Eh whatever...I just miss the days when Star Wars fans would argue if The New Jedi Order was good...not: Purple haired admiral=Shonen Jump Weekly=TLJ bad.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I knew months ago that Star Wars Visions was going to be a breath of fresh air for the saga as a whole. I was hoping to possibly see Hamish Linklater and Chris Wood among the cast lists but alas Stephanie Sheh and NYAV Post don't seem to even be aware of their existence in the acting community. The Duel looks the most promising out of the various shorts.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
This looks very, very strange to me because it is SO anime. At points it's easy to forget that this project is supposed to be Star Wars and I'm curious how this will be received by fans. I'm sure many will be pleased with the kinetic lightsaber duels and anime-style displays of Force powers, but I also wonder if others will find it visually off-putting. Either way, definitely one of the most interesting projects to come out of the IP in the Disney era and I look forward to reviews.

The reception so far has been positive, there's still some people who are kind of burned with Star Wars these days. I don't think these shorts can be expanded as a series though, some of them look very experimental, and I don't know if Trigger, for example, can make an original Star Wars show, their style will clash a lot with Star Wars' sensibilities. I find it kind of weird that, save for the Bobba Fett story, most of the shorts are focused on the Jedi, it's kind of weird that there isn't a story focused on Rebel and Imperial pilots, I think a short inspired by Gundam, Macross, Yamato or any other space opera anime would work very well with Star Wars.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks great. I love these kinds of anthologies where different creators give you their own take on a shared universe. Each has a different look and feel (though the catching an energy blast with the force thing seems to be very popular...) that should give a nice variety of tastes.

Now do I watch dubbed or subbed Laughing

Beatdigga wrote:

I imagine the same disconnect the Genndy Tartatovsky version of Clone Wars suffered will be present here, where it's so over the top and amazing people praise the visuals but feel it's not Star Wars proper.

Is that a prevailing sentiment? I usually mostly hear positive things.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This looks amazing. Can't wait to see how these different studios do they own view of the Star Wars universe.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
Star Wars fans are horrible and the people who cyber bullied Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley don’t deserve nice things. But I’m stoked for this.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I don't think these shorts can be expanded as a series though, some of them look very experimental, and I don't know if Trigger, for example, can make an original Star Wars show, their style will clash a lot with Star Wars' sensibilities.

What sensibilities do you mean? Star Wars has had a lot of different styles and presentations. If they can do that ewok Christmas special or that Just Dance game where Han Solo dances to his own theme song then a show by Trigger shouldn't really be too out of character. I've always lamented that for an IP as big as Star Wars there's very little effort being put into it on almost every front from animation to video games. Most of the animated attempts have been bad and some even look like they were animated in Flash and do not look like a billion dollar IP. I chalked it up to animation not really being taken seriously in America, but with Japan behind this it does give me some hope we'll finally see the potential it always had.

I'm genuinely surprised this is happening now under Disney's ownership of the IP since they've gone through such painstaking efforts to sanitize and unify the IP as much as they could. This seems like something that would have happened in the mid 2000s along side other experimental anime adaptions like the Animatrix and the Batman: Gotham Knight.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Is that a prevailing sentiment? I usually mostly hear positive things.

Not really, just a vocal minority that has to go on a big "ACKSHULLY..." rant to rationalize why CG Clone Wars is canon and better. I've already seen some fans trash a lot of what they've seen in the trailer because it doesn't "fit" Star Wars for whatever reason. There's a prevailing belief that Lucas was a bit bitter that Genndy's Clone Wars was so well received (especially in regards to Grevious). Genndy was supposed to become a head of Lucasfilm Animation but it got yanked at the last minute. Also when The Clone Wars was announced Lucas really emphasized that it was going to be done HIS way as opposed to Genndy's version.

At least they're throwing it out there that this isn't canon or connected to anything.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Seems Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh got lucrative gigs. And Justin Leach is co-executive producer now - he's come a long way from a couple decades ago being just a foreign animator in Production IG (which is one of the studios used here too btw)

Seems Studio Colorido’s Tatooine Rhapsody influenced how the rest of the anthology went.

https://www.starwars.com/news/anime-expo-lite-star-wars-visions

Quote:
2. Star Wars: Visions storytelling didn’t have to fit in the timeline.

In developing the series, Lucasfilm made the decision to let creators tell the stories they wanted to tell — whether they featured established or original characters — without a need to tie into the larger chronology. “We really wanted to give these creators a wide creative berth to explore all the imaginative potential of the Star Wars galaxy through the unique lens of anime,” James Waugh said. “We realized we wanted these to be as authentic as possible to the studios and creators who are making them, made through their unique process, in a medium they’re such experts at. So the idea was, this is their vision riffing off all the elements of the Star Wars galaxy that inspired them — hopefully to make a really incredible anthology series, unlike anything we’ve seen before in the Star Wars galaxy.”

11. Put down your blasters and grab a guitar for Studio Colorido’s Tatooine Rhapsody.

Told through a more Chibi art style, Tatooine Rhapsody is heading into uncharted Star Wars waters. “It’s a Star Wars rock opera,” said Rimes of the story, about a band with a dream to make it big. “We took a chance and they just blew us away with the style and the characters and the tone, and really the heart of what is best in Star Wars about found family and the dream.” It’s also one of the few shorts to feature classic characters, as our heroic band will run into Boba Fett and Jabba the Hutt.

12. Tatooine Rhapsody would influence the entire Star Wars: Visions project.

As Waugh told it, Tatooine Rhapsody was one of the first pitches Lucasfilm received. Though the far-out concept initially caused some trepidation, that feeling soon changed. “It allowed us to go, ‘You know what. That’s what Visions is going to be about,'” Waugh said. “We’re gonna roll the dice, we’re gonna tell stories that we couldn’t tell anywhere else.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2