• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disgaea dub.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
So far my favorite Disgaea episode has been the third one. I love the part where spoiler[Etna and Flonne trade personalities by trading clothes and how Etna's being nice to the Prinnies while Flonne's beating on them.] . I also found it funny how the Prinny who was in charge of the museum refered to Laharl as "Sir Dood". I don't know why. I just thought it was funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I noticed is that the drawings and animation quality of episodes 2 and 3 were far better than 1 and 4. This is a common anime phenomena where different episodes look different due to different sub-teams of people drawing them. Usually episode 1 looks good and various other episodes "degenerate", but in Disgaea's case it is episodes 2 and 3 that were drawn really well. And also very interesting like you said, but it was also the fact that they were drawn and animated better too, which probably influenced you on a subconscious level even if you didn't notice consciously.

Like in episode 1 and 4, sometimes they were too lazy to even make the mouths move of some of the monsters, lol! Mouth just hangs open, looks real dumb. Smile There at least is a (poor) excuse for the pig's father since he always talks like that (his mouth should still move though since his son's mouth moves). But the episode 1 troll monster, sometimes his mouth moves and sometimes it just hangs open as he speaks, lol!! ;D~
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I also didn't understand why that pig demon's mouth didn't move. I just assumed that was part of his demon self or something. I never noticed that part about the troll demon though. I'll have to go back and check it out.

Anyway I'm just curious. Did anyone hear the voice for Captain Gordon? He sounds like a stereotypical super hero. Jennifer sounds more like a seductress than in the game. And Thursday sounds pretty much the same(In terms of how robots sound).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
And this is the perfect time for me to mention that the Anime News Network encyclopedia listing for Etna's dub VA is WRONG!! I already submitted a Error Report a week ago but nothing changed, plus I made a thread on these forums in the Encyclopedia section. I did a lot of checking and listening and I am 99% sure that Etna's dub VA in the anime (I've never played the games so I dunno about those) is Michelle Ruff. It is NOT Amanda Winn Lee (Mimiru from hacksign) nor Kim Mai Guest (Subaru from hacksign). But everyone else seems to be correct, and from what I hear those are carried over from the game as well.

Sorry about that. It's now fixed. I was already able to tell myself it wasn't the same voice in the game. I saw the error report, but I'm not that well versed in dubs as to identify voices. I had to consult a friend of mine (who listens to dubs all the time and can easily identify voices) to make sure.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
And this is the perfect time for me to mention that the Anime News Network encyclopedia listing for Etna's dub VA is WRONG!! I already submitted a Error Report a week ago but nothing changed, plus I made a thread on these forums in the Encyclopedia section. I did a lot of checking and listening and I am 99% sure that Etna's dub VA in the anime (I've never played the games so I dunno about those) is Michelle Ruff. It is NOT Amanda Winn Lee (Mimiru from hacksign) nor Kim Mai Guest (Subaru from hacksign). But everyone else seems to be correct, and from what I hear those are carried over from the game as well.

Sorry about that. It's now fixed. I was already able to tell myself it wasn't the same voice in the game. I saw the error report, but I'm not that well versed in dubs as to identify voices. I had to consult a friend of mine (who listens to dubs all the time and can easily identify voices) to make sure.

My friend is very similar. He can easily tell who does dub voices. I only know when it's a FUNImation voice actor like Justin Cook doing the voices.

And if I may go back to the topic of the hanging mouths, I wonder if they're either supposed to be like that or it's to save money for the animation budget. Be intresting to find out.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Etna's voice in the anime is the same as Etna's voice in Disgaea 2.

Voices for Vulcanus and Thursday will be changed from the game because Bob Papenbrook passed away. Sad
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't picked up Disgaea 2. I'll have to check it out.

And how old was Bob Papenbrook when he died?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:

person#30180
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I think that the hanging mouths are for cheapness but they try to do it for characters they feel they are more likely to get away with it, like that pig, even though his mouth ought to be moving. If Laharl spoke like that no one would buy this show, lol. Also the mouths was only one example. The Disgaea TV animation is quite cheap in general, and especially in episodes 1 and 4 which are 'degenerated', it's not just the mouths. The mouths not moving was just one part of the cheapness, and the most easily pointed out to people who don't have a super keen eye for animations like I do.

PantsGoblin, thanks I really appreciate that! Smile Hopefully your friend and me are correct. I'm not an expert on voices either but I'm not the worst. But I specialize in recognizing certain people who I like, and Michelle Ruff and Kate Higgins are two of them.

Haterater, is there anywhere on the web that lists the VA credits for the Disgaea 2 game? I could only find VA credits for Disgaea 1 online.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:

person#30180

Alright. Thanks, Tony.

As for the hanging mouths, I think I might know why the pig demon's mouth doesn't move: he seems to be a parody of the oni from Japanese folklore. The way he's built, the way he looks, and his size being on major part. He's about as big as the oni in folklore. And now that I think of him, there was a demon from the movie Kakurenbo that was about the same size as him. And in Paranoia Agent spoiler[When Lil' Slugger turns into a demon he's got four fangs hanging out of the top and bottom of his mouth][/i] now if I recall, the pig demon had at least two fangs coming out of his mouth. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of the oni in Japanese folklore portrayed as gigantic ogres with large fangs coming out of their mouths? Don't some even have pig-like heads? I don't know if this is true I'm just basing it on what I've seen.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
But his son's mouth does move so whatever species of animal or thing he is, his mouth should move too. Smile
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Maybe his mouth will stop moving when he gets older?

Anyway I just got the game today. Jeez is it hard. I can't even get past Mid-Boss. No matter what I try, he always beats me. I've beaten a lot of games in my life but I don't think I'll ever beat that one. I like the anime and manga much better.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic.

And you could be right, Porcupine. Maybe it's to save money. Pretty dumb way to save money though. Make a character talk without moving its mouth is pretty dumb. Especially since it makes the character itself look dumb.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
So according to ANN, the next Disgaea DVD will be out on March 13. That's too long of a wait Sad . Well, I guess I'll watch the subs till then.

Anyway I'm really impressed with how good the dub is. I hope the sub is as good if not better. I don't remember how the sub sounds since that was a while ago.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Couldn't find any official VA credits on Disgaea 2 online, sorry about that Porcupine.

I am looking forward to getting the anime soon, can't say no for more Disgaea. Anime smile
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well I checked Gamespot and couldn't find any VA credits for Disgaea 2. However I did find some for the first Disgaea game. Besides didn't the second Disgaea game just come out? Maybe in a few months the credits will be up on some site somewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4