• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shaman King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

In regards to Sean, it sounded like he was still playing Amidamaru in the original trailer for the Netflix dub. Not sure what happened between then and now, but seems he got replaced at the last minute.

That is apparently more or less what happened. I recall someone mentioning it in greater detail in one of the other recent threads regarding this series.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
So in conclusion, what people here are saying is that I shouldn't bother with this anime, then??? Because the news we knew back then of this show trying to fit 35 volumes into 52 episodes didn't give me any hopes for it either.

At the end of the day I would say the anime is.. adequate. It's not amazing, and it's certainly not the perfect adaption we were hoping for, but at least it exists.

"It's better than nothing" is always a depressing rationalization, but I would much rather this anime exists than not. At the very least it has a chance of getting newer fans to check out the manga and make the fanbase larger and introduce it to a newer generation. Maybe that alone can lead to better future projects
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:10 am Reply with quote
I've always known about the original but I've never seen it which was why I was watching the reboot but I dropped the reboot about 5 episodes in because the pacing was just killing me. All this reboot did was make me want to go watch the original.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="1dbad"]
MFrontier wrote:

In regards to Sean, it sounded like he was still playing Amidamaru in the original trailer for the Netflix dub. Not sure what happened between then and now, but seems he got replaced at the last minute.

If I where to guess either they have beef with Sean Schemmal or their was a schedule conflict. Either way I kind of prefer Kaji Tang’s take on Amidamaru anyway, it’s kind of fun hearing Gaius from Trails of cold steel as ghost samurai bro.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Overall I really am digging the dub of the 2021 Shaman King series and the actors they utilize. The dub isn't masterpiece level as it has pacing issues but I did enjoy some of the vocal performances from the original actors and the new voices and I'm grateful that Netflix and VSI Los Angeles went all out to bring back some of the voice cast from the dub of the 2001 version of Shaman King done by 4Kids to reprise their roles such as Tara Sands (Anna), Oliver Wyman (Manta), Veronica Taylor (Tamao), Lisa Ortiz (Tao Jun), Michael Sinterniklaas (HoroHoro) and especially Dan Green (Silva).

Even the new English voices for Yoh Asakura (Abby Trott), Tao Ren (Laura StahLl) and Hao Asakura (Erica Mendez) aren't that bad as others have complained and I'm optimistic their voices will get better over time in the next set of episodes will drop in the November or December on Netflix.

So I give the dub a 7.9-8.0/10

FireChick wrote:
There's actually a reason why the VSI dub sounds so stilted: Apparently somebody had the idea to have a Portuguese man, who previously voice acted in Portuguese dubs of anime, direct the English dub of the anime.

The dub of the 2021 version of Shaman King, it's not a phenomenal one but not a terrible dub either, the dub is just fairly decent is what I can describe it. Now granted this is Hermes Baroli's first anime dub so when compared to his direction to the foreign Live-Action dubs he's done at VSI it does have it's hills and valleys in some instances but some of the performances of the original actors like Dan Green, Oliver Wyman, Lisa Ortiz and Michael Sinterniklaas did a good job as do the new voice actors like Abby Trott and Brianna Knickerbocker. Plus the ADR script by Erica Mendez and Michelle Knotz did somewhat helped the dub not be as bad as everyone thought they say (but that is subjective).

I'm optimistic that Hermes would get better in the next several dubbed episodes and I'm optimistic he would do more anime dubs beyond Shaman King so he can perfect his role as an ADR Director, besides there are some folks like Carrie Keranen, Todd Haberkorn, and Kevin Hoffer who do voice directing both on the foreign Live-Action shows/films and Anime dubs so this isn't the first that you have an ADR Voice director being familiar doing voice direction in Live-action dubs to do anime dubs or vice-versa.

theNightster wrote:

If I where to guess either they have beef with Sean Schemmal or their was a schedule conflict. Either way I kind of prefer Kaji Tang’s take on Amidamaru anyway, it’s kind of fun hearing Gaius from Trails of cold steel as ghost samurai bro.

A similar situation also happened with Cristina Vee who wanted to reprise her role as Reina in Sound! Euphonium The Movie - Our Promise: A Brand New Day but but wasn't told nor given the opportunity to reaudition for the film before she learned she was replaced which would explain why she hasn't done ANY new voiceover work with VSI Los Angeles since Last Hope/Unit Pandora and Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas back in 2018 other than her reprisal as Sailor Mars in Sailor Moon Eternal this year.

Perhaps someone from VSI Los Angeles (either the voice director, producer, engineer, etc.) or the actors (Sean Schemmel and Cristina Vee) has creative differences or disagreements which resulted in the production team refusing to hire Cristina Vee and now Sean Schemmel in their Future dubs at the studio, maybe that would likely explain why they don't do voice work at VSI Los Angeles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3