• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Offers 'Switch Online + Expansion Pack' Membership With N64, Genesis Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Do they realize people are already playing these games on a modern console Laughing

Modern Vintage Gaming: The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast

Do you realize the average consumer either doesn't know or care for emulation?

Do ya realize the people who tend to buy these classic games are old-time gamers, who tend to know more than your average consumers? The newer average gamers either has no nostalgia about these or look too retro for them. That's why it's the old-time gamers who keep these games alive thru emulation - $20 and an hour of their time is no effort at all compared to waiting years for official releases

For example: if we tell ya that ya can play, let's say, the Mother/Earthbound series [or insert whichever classic fav of your choice] right now for 20 bucks and an hour of your time, wouldn't ya do it or would ya continue to wait for an official release that may come who knows when?
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:39 am Reply with quote
If old timey gamers were who you were first referring to then, alright. But since the topic had to do with Nintendo I assumed you were referring to their target market: casual consumers.
Also, don't discredt new gamers when it comes to interest in older games. You use Earthbound as an example but there is no alternative method. Meanwhile when metroid dread was announced people dusted off their Wii U's to buy old metroid games on the Wii U shop, and videos and articles directing new gamers to the Wii U shop and Switch SNES/NES popped up, plus explanations on where to start with the franchise.
Finally, If Nintendo released a Pokemon game on the switch e-shop for $10-20, people will buy those, despite how easy it is to emulate GB/GBA/DS/3DS games. Monster hunter stories has 100k downloads for €21 on Google play store. I remember checking when the sequel came out.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Why does Japan get the six-button controller but America gets the three-button one? Once again, Americans are shafted out of the good controller.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
So basically instead of coming out with an "N64 Classic" console, the Switch is basically becoming the "N64 Classic" console (complete with janky 3-handed controller and everything)? Only problem is you can't buy the games, they are subscription only, right? Though I have to admit, I would very much like to play Banjo Kazooie on Switch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I presume you can just play N64 games and Genesis games with either the default Switch controllers or whatever other third party controllers you like (unlike the Genesis Mini where I've tried plugging in other USB controllers but haven't gotten anything else to work; I think you have to use a USB stick to modify the firmware to be able to use other controllers not specifically designed for the Mini).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2