• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest Composer Koichi Sugiyama Passes Away at 90

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Sugiyama is another perfect contender to be put on a "Which dead celebrities are treated like saints, but were truly awful people when they were alive?" thread.

Wouldn't surprise me if he thought he was so famous/celebrated he could say whatever he wanted and get away with it, from what I can tell, outside of his music, he was a trash human being.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
Hey if you want to bring things back to anime, remember how Yoshiyuki Tomino made Gundam: Reconguista in G, and how that anime was a takedown aimed at the ultra-nationalists in Japan who want to rearm the country and resume being an imperialist power?

Personal interpretation of a work is one thing, but it might be a bit much to try to speak for a creator unless they directly say something themselves. Has he ever actually came out and say he is against Jaoabese nationalism? I'm asking because If people take issue with Koichi Sugimiya, they most certainly would take issue with Yoshiyuki Tomino given he harbors a lot of views people would find regressive: his comments on Jews and women being the most well known ones. I suppose anti-Semitism and sexism isn't necessarily related to Japanese nationalism, but it'd be a bit strange if that's where he would draw the line.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
I'm asking because If people take issue with Koichi Sugimiya, they most certainly would take issue with Yoshiyuki Tomino given he harbors a lot of views people would find regressive: his comments on Jews and women being the most well known ones. I suppose anti-Semitism and sexism isn't necessarily related to Japanese nationalism, but it'd be a bit strange if that's where he would draw the line.

Wait...WHAT? Tomino is an anti-Semite? Ugh... well, then looks like my chances of watching any more Gundam or projects by him might now go up in flames.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Vent wrote:
Hey if you want to bring things back to anime, remember how Yoshiyuki Tomino made Gundam: Reconguista in G, and how that anime was a takedown aimed at the ultra-nationalists in Japan who want to rearm the country and resume being an imperialist power?

Personal interpretation of a work is one thing, but it might be a bit much to try to speak for a creator unless they directly say something themselves. Has he ever actually came out and say he is against Jaoabese nationalism? I'm asking because If people take issue with Koichi Sugimiya, they most certainly would take issue with Yoshiyuki Tomino given he harbors a lot of views people would find regressive: his comments on Jews and women being the most well known ones. I suppose anti-Semitism and sexism isn't necessarily related to Japanese nationalism, but it'd be a bit strange if that's where he would draw the line.

I can find literally no credible sources in English about Tomino being an anti-Semite while Sugiyama's bigotry is well-documented.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
But I have to muse, why do we have to respect the dead when, I'm sure, respect would have been more preferable to people when they were alive than when they are dead?

Posing the question a different way, should the mere fact of being dead make one more respected?

People taking part in grave dancing when someone they don't like dies is inevitable. No amount of "being a good person" prevents that because not everyone is on the same page or agrees on what a good person is. All that changes is whose doing the dancing.
Nobody is immune to being the subject of schadenfreude, let alone major public figures like celebrities and artists. Everyone posting in this thread is going to have someone smugly smiling to themselves when their obituary is printed. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of getting giddy over seeing someone I dislike dying. Maybe I'm just a doomer, but every death I see is just another reminder of our own mortality. We'll all die one day. I'm sure there will be people celebrating our own deaths because we all make enemies. No amount of trying to "be better" is going to change that. Live your life how you want and don't worry what people say. Life's too short.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:19 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
tsog wrote:
But I have to muse, why do we have to respect the dead when, I'm sure, respect would have been more preferable to people when they were alive than when they are dead?

Posing the question a different way, should the mere fact of being dead make one more respected?

People taking part in grave dancing when someone they don't like dies is inevitable. No amount of "being a good person" prevents that because not everyone is on the same page or agrees on what a good person is. All that changes is whose doing the dancing.
Nobody is immune to being the subject of schadenfreude, let alone major public figures like celebrities and artists. Everyone posting in this thread is going to have someone smugly smiling to themselves when their obituary is printed. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of getting giddy over seeing someone I dislike dying. Maybe I'm just a doomer, but every death I see is just another reminder of our own mortality. We'll all die one day. I'm sure there will be people celebrating our own deaths because we all make enemies. No amount of trying to "be better" is going to change that. Live your life how you want and don't worry what people say. Life's too short.

Weird how life is too short to treat others well, but apparently not to waste it being a bigot. People’s actions outlive them. They don’t magically stop when they die. His music remains, and sadly so does the harm of the causes he supported. This kind of nonsense about mortality only exists in an incredibly self-centered view that doesn’t consider others at all.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I can find literally no credible sources in English about Tomino being an anti-Semite while Sugiyama's bigotry is well-documented.

Forgive me, I thought it was one of his more well known extremist views

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1293302139800809472
gpanthony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a horse in this race, except to say that it's become very clear to me in our present time that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, except that they aren't. And if you have the wrong opinion it will never be forgiven.

While I do find Mr. Sugiyama's opinions disappointing and certainly hurtful to many people, I also believe that it is still preferable to treat the dead with dignity because I believe that everyone brings some good to the world, in this case Mr. Sugiyama's music, and also some bad as well. I don't think any of us can know what led him to think the horrible things he did, but just looking at the response of his Japanese friends and colleagues, I do think it is unfair to say that those thoughts were a complete picture of him.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
I don't really have a horse in this race, except to say that it's become very clear to me in our present time that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, except that they aren't. And if you have the wrong opinion it will never be forgiven.

While I do find Mr. Sugiyama's opinions disappointing and certainly hurtful to many people, I also believe that it is still preferable to treat the dead with dignity because I believe that everyone brings some good to the world, in this case Mr. Sugiyama's music, and also some bad as well. I don't think any of us can know what led him to think the horrible things he did, but just looking at the response of his Japanese friends and colleagues, I do think it is unfair to say that those thoughts were a complete picture of him.

Considering that he didn't treat the dead with dignity, he forfeited that right.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Forgive me, I thought it was one of his more well known extremist views

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1293302139800809472

Well that sucks!!

Unfortunately, grappling with whether to engage with art created by artists with noxious views is a part of modern life. Part of the problem is that Sugiyama wasn't just an ordinary bigot - he was activist who led and donated money to causes that actively made marginalized people's lives worse, right up until the very end.

This quote from Tomino is almost 40 years old, and while don't get me wrong, it really sucks, it's not something he has expressed recently or seems to have engaged with at all. He almost certainly doesn't contribute to anti-Semitic causes. I'm not a Tomino fan so I don't have a dog in this fight; I just believe there are degrees of awful and people need to decide for themselves where they draw the line. Sugiyama was way, way over the line for many people and they are within their rights to express that. Speaking of...

[removed]

Edit:

All y'all saying it's disrespectful to dance on Sugiyama's grave...

The man LAUGHED at the suicides of LGBTQ teens. LAUGHED.

He does not deserve any more respect than he gave others.

[I removed a line from this post. We're allowing discussion of his Legacy, both positive and negative, but regardless of your position, vulgarity is inappropriate -t]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:

If your "wrong opinion" involves you being a professional raging asshole for most of your life, and actively promoting asshole causes, then no, you shouldn't be forgiven.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
A legend has left us. Us Dragon Quest fans will never forget you Sugiyama-san.
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
tsog wrote:

Wow is that a non-answer to my questions or what.

The man is dead; I doubt he even care about what people think of him any more. I bet I'll be the same when I die; not giving a f*ck, not being able to give a f*ck, about what people think of me, good or bad. And I sure as heck would like people to respect me more when I'm alive than after I'm dead; respect is useless to me once I'm gone after all.

The only ones who actually care about "respecting the dead" are those who are still alive, ironically.
juaifan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:

Humans are complex creatures, and not everyone can be an open minded saint like Hayao Miyazaki who goes out drinking with old Nazi soldiers from WWII and then pens a manga honoring them and their life after getting to know them.

But no amount of mean comments on the internet is going to change the fact that Sugiyama is an industry legend and the grandfather of video game soundtracks. For every comment happy this man is gone there's dozens of mangaka, actors, comedians, streamers, directors, artists, and programmers showering the man in praise and reverence, not to mention all the normal everyday people who are saying nice things about him. I think things will be fine, in the end.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
and not everyone can be an open minded saint like Hayao Miyazaki who goes out drinking with old Nazi soldiers from WWII and then pens a manga honoring them and their life after getting to know them.

when did he do this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6