• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: House of Representatives Censures Rep. Paul Gosar For "Violent" Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
babajones wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Paul Gosar, by the way, is the grandson of Slovenian immigrants. But I guess he thinks his own rules don't apply to him.

Maybe his problem is with just illegal immigration and crossing the border illegally.... Thats does not mean he oppose all types of immigration

And while those words may sounds nice and principled "illegal immigration" has been a convenient dog whistle for simply anti-immigrant sentiment at large since we started having immigration policies.

Quote:
As someone who went through the process to immigrating legally to Norway to be with my spouse, yes, it's certainly not a guarantee you'll be approved but then it's not a right to legally live wherever you want if a country says no.

Eh, immigrating to live with your spouse and immigrating to avoid domestic or state violence or to escape poverty-induced-death aren't comparable. If your choice is staying in a fire or breaking another country's sovereign border to escape the fire, you'd be irrational to do the former.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
babajones wrote:

Maybe his problem is with just illegal immigration and crossing the border illegally.... Thats does not mean he oppose all types of immigration

Except the problem with this belief is that most republicans hate illegal immigration and even legal immigration you only need to look at Republicans who opposed resettling Syrian immigrants a few years back or the party sabotaging immigration reform (that members of their own party pushed for years before that) as one of many examples and treat immigrants as somehow being much more a threat to this country and it’s people than the white supremacists, neo nazi’s, & anti government militia groups that they enable, encourage, & protect.
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Except the problem with this belief is that most republicans hate illegal immigration and even legal immigration you only need to look at Republicans who opposed resettling Syrian immigrants a few years back or the party sabotaging immigration reform (that members of their own party pushed for years before that) as one of many examples and treat immigrants as somehow being much more a threat to this country and it’s people than the white supremacists, neo nazi’s, & anti government militia groups that they enable, encourage, & protect.

I think you need to stop listening to sensationalist news sites, Twitter radicals, or whatever source you're hearing this kind of stuff from. A total of 17 people died from extremists killings in the US in 2020, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the typical homicide rate we see every year from stuff like robberies, gang violence, or just regular old murder which is in the tens of thousands every year. Big cities like Los Angeles can see more killings than that over a single weekend Even if violent extremists were a serious issue, this is just whataboutism. Illegal immigration is a perfectly fine issue to be concerned with, regardless what other issues are also worth looking into that may or may not be just as bad.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That group you're talking about was found to be guilty of $26 million in damages today by a federal jury for Charlottesville and the investigation into January 6th's events is, arguably, about if people with political power helped orchestrate it by leading those same groups. The point of measurement for concern isn't whether they're massacring people. It's political influence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I think you need to stop listening to sensationalist news sites, Twitter radicals, or whatever source you're hearing this kind of stuff from. A total of 17 people died from extremists killings in the US in 2020, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the typical homicide rate we see every year from stuff like robberies, gang violence, or just regular old murder which is in the tens of thousands every year. Big cities like Los Angeles can see more killings than that over a single weekend Even if violent extremists were a serious issue, this is just whataboutism. Illegal immigration is a perfectly fine issue to be concerned with, regardless what other issues are also worth looking into that may or may not be just as bad.

Why are you bringing up whataboutism when you're doing it right here and now ?
I know it's the easy refrain to say the other guy is just changing the subject but really...

Violent extremism is a serious issue, everyday gun violence is too. Maybe, just maybe both things can be true at once and ironically the source of the problem is the over militarization of a populus that isn't bright enough to see that more guns isn't a viable solution.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This is really bad, AOC is known for getting death threats often, her life was at one point in serious danger. This is well known to Congress, yet Paul Gosar took it upon himself to stoke the flames even more. It is even more cruel when right after Gosar got censure he went back to his office and retweeted that insensitive meme again.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
This is really bad, AOC is known for getting death threats often, her life was at one point in serious danger. This is well known to Congress, yet Paul Gosar took it upon himself to stoke the flames even more. It is even more cruel when right after Gosar got censure he went back to his office and retweeted that insensitive meme again.

TBH, I could see this as a case for the fighting words exception to the First Amendment.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

I think you need to stop listening to sensationalist news sites, Twitter radicals, or whatever source you're hearing this kind of stuff from.

Don’t know if your being snarky with this post or not but If I followed any of these outlets I’d be spouting BS arguments such as “Democrats want undocumented immigrants to vote in elections” eventhough Republicans ignore how registered republicans commit voting fraud at a more frequent but low enough rate that kills the republicans argument of stronger voting laws that habitually disenfranchise minority voters.

Or how teaching Critical Race Theory is somehow racist or offensive because it more or less teaches what history books (that haven’t been whitewashed ) already teach kids about which is that this country has an ugly history of racism towards non whites. And encourages sexual deviancy and somehow encourages kids to stop learning from the adage that sticks and stones break bones but names will never hurt them Confused

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Removed conspiracy posts & responses.

Edit: keep your posts factual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
I hope that there is an eventual response from the creators to this unauthorized use of the OP in an OVA - Attack on Titan Chibi Theater Fly​ Cadets​ Fly would be the appropriate vehicle.

I may be a bad person for saying this, but I would like to see the Gosar video remade using the Attack on Titan - Junior High OP.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Paul Gosar, by the way, is the grandson of Slovenian immigrants. But I guess he thinks his own rules don't apply to him.

A number of foreign athletes used the Tokyo Olympics as a way to gain entrance to Japan and then fled when it came to return to their home country. It's no surprised Japan took issue with that and would arrest them and deport them back for trying to do that. Most countries do not like illegal immigration, although it certainly seems to be controversial in the US to have that stance.

Japan did not take issue with all foreign athletes who "used the Tokyo Olympics as a way to gain entrance to Japan and then fled when it came to return to their home country," and did not arrest and deport all of them. Notably, Japan kept and protected Belarusian sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya from being forced back to Belarus against her will. Other Belarusian athletes also sought refugee status, although two had not reached Japan yet when they did.

https://news.yahoo.com/belarus-sprinter-krystsina-tsimanouskaya-google-translate-japanese-police-115126732.html
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
There is a saying from Voltaire that's appropriate here. "I may not like what you have to say,but I'll defend your right to say it." Look,I think the Paul Gosar video is dumb and silly. Whatever you think of it,under the First Amendment,he had the right to do what he did. That doesn't make him immune from criticism. Kathy Griffin did an ISIS-style video of showing off the severed head of then-President Trump. Let's just say,I thought both videos were stupid.
But,as I said before,there are people who agree with what he says and among them are legal immigrants. Someone said that Gosar's grandparents were immigrants themselves. Here's the thing. They came here legally. They didn't sneak across the border in the dead of night. They went through legal channels to come here. In my opinion,his grandparents would probably share his opinion,as do most Americans. There are many immigrants who had to wait a long time to come here,perhaps years. How do you think they feel? Many of them would be upset and rightfully so. These people played by the rules to come here and for them,they feel undercut by those who didn't do what they did.

If I were a legal immigrant,I'd probably share many of the same frustrations that native-born Americans feel. People breaking in to this country against the law and making harder for both native-born Americans and legal immigrants to find jobs. Again,you might not like Rep. Gosar's video and you certainly have the right to do that. But,there are people who feel the way he does,and that includes those who came here legally.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Removed a post.

Keep your posts respectful, everyone!
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
. Kathy Griffin did an ISIS-style video of showing off the severed head of then-President Trump. Let's just say,I thought both videos were stupid.

First, I find it weird that people keep comparing the actions of a comedian to an elected official; Second, there were repercussions for that video, something which all the whataboutists seem to forget: She was fired by CNN and faced a federal investigation for two months from the FBI.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
. Kathy Griffin did an ISIS-style video of showing off the severed head of then-President Trump. Let's just say,I thought both videos were stupid.

First, I find it weird that people keep comparing the actions of a comedian to an elected official; Second, there were repercussions for that video, something which all the whataboutists seem to forget: She was fired by CNN and faced a federal investigation for two months from the FBI.
Yeah, she, her family and friends also still get death threats to this day. The comparison does not stick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3