• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
Different strokes, I guess. I love the way the Kamados continue to watch over Tanjiro and Nezuko. I thought Takeo’s appearance this week was particularly touching. As another poster said, that is a particularly strong Asian spiritual concept, that one’s loved ones watch over them from the afterlife and I think KnY continues to handle that well.
They did allow Nezuko out of the bag and it was a thrill but the business of dialing her back, of reestablishing her connection to her humanity was important. This isn’t some quirk or demon mode she can switch on and off. She’s at risk of losing everything that Tanjiro has fought for, that she has struggled with since the beginning of the story. That in and of itself was touching and thrilling for me, elevating the story above just an shonen action sequence.
I am so tired of the whining about Zenitsu. Yes, he’s irritating AF. Frequently. But he spends this episode asleep with a perpetual snot balloon hanging out of his nose. The aside about Zenitsu here is just lazy reviewing.
Not certain why so many people qualify any enjoyment for KnY. It’s a shonen series. They are by nature hardly trailblazers when it comes to stories. KnY at least has the benefit of some gorgeous, interesting Taisho era world building to go along with its gorgeous animation. The characters may tend to be archetypes but that is true of most modern shonen. And the show is, for me, entertaining, reason enough to watch it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Still don't like how Tanjiro's siblings just... keep communicating with him from the dead or something.

I'm curious as to why that bothers you considering that the entire premise of the show is based and focused on the supernatural.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
Still don't like how Tanjiro's siblings just... keep communicating with him from the dead or something.

I'm curious as to why that bothers you considering that the entire premise of the show is based and focused on the supernatural.

I'm kinda confused about that. Is that supposed to be symbolic or those are "memories" similar to the one of the other slayer with the rising sun earrings that threatened the demon?

Full Metal Panic once used a spirit of a person talking to a person before going to the afterlife but the IV anime removed it. So I'm not sure if Gotoge is trying to expand something about the dead characters and finally explain why is it that Muzan didn't kill Nezuko.
sjk9000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A whole bunch of Tanjiro trying to hold back Nezuko while she mindlessly lusts after the sweet blood of the innocent? Check. Nezuko transforming back into a baby and immediately being put back in the box for the umpteenth time? That's a wheelbarrow full of checks, right there.

Uh... When have either of those two things happened before? Seriously; I skimmed through the previous fights just to make sure I hadn't forgotten something, but I didn't find any instances of Tanjiro having to physically restrain her from eating someone, or her turning back into a child in the middle of the fight and being put into the box. Maybe I didn't do a thorough enough job, but I'm pretty sure these are both novel developments.

I don't want to be overly pedantic here; I appreciate and agree with the larger point that Nezuko is generally undeveloped as a character, and understand it can be frustrating to have one of her rare moments of screen time suddenly cut short. But the way you're couching this particular criticism is weird.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
sjk9000 wrote:
Quote:
A whole bunch of Tanjiro trying to hold back Nezuko while she mindlessly lusts after the sweet blood of the innocent? Check. Nezuko transforming back into a baby and immediately being put back in the box for the umpteenth time? That's a wheelbarrow full of checks, right there.

Uh... When have either of those two things happened before? Seriously; I skimmed through the previous fights just to make sure I hadn't forgotten something, but I didn't find any instances of Tanjiro having to physically restrain her from eating someone, or her turning back into a child in the middle of the fight and being put into the box. Maybe I didn't do a thorough enough job, but I'm pretty sure these are both novel developments.

I don't want to be overly pedantic here; I appreciate and agree with the larger point that Nezuko is generally undeveloped as a character, and understand it can be frustrating to have one of her rare moments of screen time suddenly cut short. But the way you're couching this particular criticism is weird.

You are right. Like this is the first time Nezuko go on a rampage like this because this is the first time Nezuko ever faces an UM, The anime cut out the narration so people who only watch the anime missed the explanation. UM have the most amount of Muzan blood in their bodies so it trigger Nezuko's memory of when her family got slaughter because of Muzan scent.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
You are completely right with the Nezuko stuff, but word of advice, save yourself the troubnle and let it go for now and save it for Season 3/4 when Kimetsu ends, because she'll never grow to be much more than what she is right now for the story.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
sjk9000 wrote:
Quote:

He's not saying these things happen every time there's a fight or that one happens immediately after the other, he's saying they'd happened before or they happen in general, which they do.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:09 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
sjk9000 wrote:
Quote:

He's not saying these things happen every time there's a fight or that one happens immediately after the other, he's saying they'd happened before or they happen in general, which they do.

This literally the first time Nezuko go on a rampage, all other time before this she can control herself. So no, this didn't happened before unless you count the first episode of the series and even then she still have some self-control.
sjk9000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:

But they don't? Or at least, I don't remember them happening before.

Tanjro has literally never had to restrain Nezuko. Nezuko shrinking and going into the box is always something that happens outside of fights; it's never happened during one.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
This literally the first time Nezuko go on a rampage, all other time before this she can control herself. So no, this didn't happened before unless you count the first episode of the series and even then she still have some self-control.

It counts. She attacked two people then. In episode 2 she started salivating looking at the dead bodies. Same when the wind hashira was taunting her. Now please, let's both stop splitting hairs over an anime review.

sjk9000 wrote:
Nezuko shrinking and going into the box is always something that happens outside of fights; it's never happened during one.

Exactly.
sjk9000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

It counts. She attacked two people then. In episode 2 she started salivating looking at the dead bodies. Same when the wind hashira was taunting her.

sjk9000 wrote:
Nezuko shrinking and going into the box is always something that happens outside of fights; it's never happened during one.

Exactly.

Exactly what? I'm pretty sure James is not complaining about the concept of Nezuko being capable of altering her size and fitting into boxes. He's complaining about Nezuko being taken out of the fight, which isn't something that's happened before.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 pm Reply with quote
sjk9000 wrote:
Exactly what? I'm pretty sure James is not complaining about the concept of Nezuko being capable of altering her size and fitting into boxes. He's complaining about Nezuko being taken out of the fight, which isn't something that's happened before.

Like you say, James is not complaining about the concept of Nezuko being capable of altering her size and fitting into boxes. What he's complaining about is Nezuko spending most of the series in that box, period.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
You are completely right with the Nezuko stuff, but word of advice, save yourself the troubnle and let it go for now and save it for Season 3/4 when Kimetsu ends, because she'll never grow to be much more than what she is right now for the story.

exactly the point.

the staff are just following the manga when it comes to this arc unlike the mugen train arc!

soooooo there is zero chance in hell aniplex will do to demon slayer for what they did with promise neverland season 2 which clearly should have NEVER BEEN RELEASED & they should have ended the promise neverland anime series on a high note after season one! this here would have been a legit reason to end a series with a "BUY THE SOURCE MATERIALS!" type of ending!

its highly unlikely history will repeat itself for if there was any hints that the demon slayer anime was steering further away from the source materials, the backlash from fans would be QUICK & SEVERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

exactly the point.

the staff are just following the manga when it comes to this arc unlike the mugen train arc!

The Train Arc had some differences? I only found it slower
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
In as far as Nezuko is concerned, I already spoke to this in an earlier post, but I think its clearly by design that Nezuko has a glaring flaw now that she is a demon. If said flaw were to disappear and she be allowed to roam around, talk, and fight freely - the sense of urgency in curing the demon transformation would disappear. It is a curse, not an inconvenience. She can lose herself, and this episode proves how razor thin the quest to save her is. But that's the point! This is a quest by Tanjiro to save Nezuko. That's the entire story (arguably stopping Muzan is the 2nd major plot). She's never going to be "one of the group" in the sense that the reviewer wants her to be. It's not a waste of a character, it is the plot. I'm actually starting to wonder why we fixate so much on one character like this. Should we complain because we aren't seeing enough of another character? My goodness! The author keeps writing that character out of the story arc. Sloppy! What magic does Nezuko hold for this reviewer that she must stay out of the box?

I think we can safely conclude that apparently this reviewer really doesn't like this anime. He can give it whatever out of 5 he wants - it's his words that tell the tale. He says he likes the concept, but hates the humor - yet spends the majority of his review on the concept behind the character of Nezuko (who has nothing to do with the humor). I'm sort of ignoring his reviews going forward as it honestly is a bit backhanded towards the fans. Stuff like, "It's all subjective...but I guess fans like harsh tone transitions and weird humor. I just wish it was done well" makes it seem like any fan is just ignoring all the flaws (because we are either blind or perhaps too stupid). Quite the contrary. I don't know if he's obligated to review this or something, but I want to tell him it's okay not to watch something he dislikes.

Anyways, it was an excellent episode. I think the interactions and the callbacks to the family are not only appropriate, but it shows where Tanjiro's and Nezuko's strength originates from. This story really focuses in on the strength imbued by mothers oddly enough. The Kamados, Rengoku, I believe Inosuke, and Rui's "family". I have a feeling the author is telling us something about how that can really shape someone's personality.

The action was of course compelling. I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what the true Upper Six can actually do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14