• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AMC Networks Acquires Sentai Holdings, Sentai Filmworks, HIDIVE

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
I'm hoping this doesn't cause problems similar to what happened when Sojtiz bought 20% of A.D. Vision.

I still am baffled as to why they thought the Sojitz deal was a great idea. They must have been in an incredibly deep in a hole to sign up to that. And Funimation essentially bought up their debt when they bought ADV's licenses off Sojitz. Just incredible really. Some really, really poor decisions were made in the in mid 2000's bubble and in the immediate aftermath.

It wasn’t clear they would betray them. They were all supposed to be working against funimation , and if they were working together they’d both make a lot of money. Instead sojitz betrayed them and went to the enemy and they made some money back but not nearly what they could have. They wanted a quick way out when the bottom fell out. Funimation conspired against adv. they signed a tough contract originally because yes ADV needed money quick .
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think the ADV/Sojitz ARM deal and everything that went wrong with that raises any red flags here. That was a complicated deal involving financing and licensing and ultimately ADV split itself up to get the company off its back. Sojitz set up a third party that would license anime on ADV’s behalf but there was a culture clash and the two sides disagreed on how to run things, which led Sojitz to pull the licenses they acquired and that’s why Gurren Lagann was pulled etc etc.

I can see the synergies on Sentai’s end but not on AMC’s. Whatever. It’s their money.

What I wonder is what this means for Seraphim Digital, the dub studio. They have and have had clients besides ADV and its offshoots. If AMC takes that business and gives it to Bang Zoom or Studiopolis or NYAV Post, can Seraphim pay the bills?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
What I wonder is what this means for Seraphim Digital, the dub studio. They have and have had clients besides ADV and its offshoots. If AMC takes that business and gives it to Bang Zoom or Studiopolis or NYAV Post, can Seraphim pay the bills?
Seraphim Digital has basically been succeeded by Sentai Studios. The web domain expired and they've not been credited on anything in like 7 years. Sentai Studios is included in this. From the article:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks is a global supplier of anime and official merchandise. The company's brands include the HIDIVE streaming service, SentaiFilmworks.com, Anime Network cable video-on-demand, and Sentai Studios.
Timeline: Industrial Smoke & Mirrors + Monster Island = ADV Studios ---> Amusement Park Media ---> Seraphim Digital ---> Sentai Studios
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, ok. It’s hard to keep track.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
They make the best dubs.

For me, it depends on the show but generally speaking I'd actually rate their dub quality to be below the other companies.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:09 pm Reply with quote
This came out of nowhere if this means Sentai will actually release more of their anime dub titles on AMC+ then maybe I'll actually go out of my way to get the service through Amazon Prime this year. I'm still waiting on Sentai to release Rage of Bahamu Virgin Soul on bluray this year who the hell knows when it will happen when it comes to the whims of this company.
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
.....I'm still waiting on Sentai to release Rage of Bahamu Virgin Soul on bluray this year who the hell knows when it will happen when it comes to the whims of this company.

Except Sentai never licensed RoB: Virgin Soul to begin with. Sure the Show was on Anime Strike, but it wasn't a Sentai Title on it.
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this doesn't result in HiDive and their app/website being subsumed by AMC+ and gets to remain its own thing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is an…interesting acquisition. I know AMC has a fledgling streaming platform and toes in other ones, is their plan to sweeten the pot by adding HIDIVE?
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I would dearly love to see the whole Sony anime conglomerate implode on itself and disappear, I refuse to buy any releases from them. I'm cheering for Sentai in whatever form they take!
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means Hidive will be able to license more than one show a season and give the Houston voice acting scene more work (although some of the best actors are getting Funi roles). Funimation has so many different dub directors that I love some of their projects and hate others. Sentai dubs may have a few quality issues here or there, but their casting and direction are always spot on.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I hope this means Hidive will be able to license more than one show a season and give the Houston voice acting scene more work (although some of the best actors are getting Funi roles). Funimation has so many different dub directors that I love some of their projects and hate others. Sentai dubs may have a few quality issues here or there, but their casting and direction are always spot on.

At least I hope this affect on a way better improvement on the Latin American feed of Hidive.
There are very lack of localized content there, and this includes the interface (half-translated), lack of subtitles in many works, not all of the LA Spanish dubs included, none of their content dubbed in Portuguese available, and especially, no other paying methods adapted for Brazil or Hispanic countries...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is an…interesting acquisition. I know AMC has a fledgling streaming platform and toes in other ones, is their plan to sweeten the pot by adding HIDIVE?
With AMC also now owning Shudder, I assume they're trying to aim for the target audience that subscribed to VRV.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This was unexpected, I hope this turns out to allow Sentai to dub more of its past releases and license more titles each year. I would normally be alarmed by this type of news but when I think of it, Netflix has been licensing animes the past few years and this could get Sentais titles on tv more.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope with AMC's backing Sentai can afford to buy Netflix dubs now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5