• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AMC Networks Acquires Sentai Holdings, Sentai Filmworks, HIDIVE

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picky33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
We still don't know what the break down will be for the new company, aka who's running it, who's staying on the board, what changes we AMC plans on doing to the company, Hands on or Hands off, Very little details were given in the ANN article.

Personally, I think this is a bad move, I foresee AMC getting fed up with the brand in 18 Months and start selling off what they can or just ignoring it and not putting anymore money into it for new title actuations.

As much as Sentai wishes to say Hi-Dive is a separate company the CEO of Sentai owns a significant steak in HI-Dive. So he probably made out like a bandit.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:49 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
The most surprising thing I found out about AMC Networks is that James Dolan, yes THAT James Dolan, is the chairman at AMC Networks. Now I'm slightly concerned he could run Sentai into the ground like the Knicks and Rangers.

My confidence in this deal just sank. This is the same guy who holds onto MSG solely for the network rights while everyone yells “Sell the team!” at him.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm that surprised. Anime has been talked about as "the thing" to get into for streaming services for a while now, and I'm sure Sentai is in need of a significant infusion from an investment. They've done relatively well finding ways to get by, like handling physical releases for Crunchyroll or coming up with some surprise licenses/deals, but who knows how long that would last against competition that could simply outspend it. It's possible that some of the moves Sentai was making recently were to make it more attractive to investors/buyers. Back when Anime Strike was a thing, Sentai was the official company acquiring the licenses, so it wouldn't be the first time they've made use of those connections to give a bigger company an "in" when it comes to anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
I consider myself a big fan of Sentai. I am a cynic by nature and this day signals the end of Sentai as a relevant anime distributor. I don't trust AMC to make Sentai a stronger company and would not be surprised to see it be dissolved in 2-3.

I have to see results first to believe that this is the right move. I selfishly hope that at least Sentai is able to keep releasing the PriPri and GuP movies and continue to be involved with Made in Abyss.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
squirrelmecha-2.0 wrote:
Here's hoping for Breaking Bad anime

you'll just have to settle for the slipping jimmy animation. and no im not joking.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they’ll make an anime version of Into the Badlands.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I wanna be optimistic for once so here's to hoping this means Sentai has the investment to dub more big name shows and can appear on Netflix originals again like they did with 7 seeds. I've been in a big mood for more sentai content since Funimation began outsourcing most of their dubs to la, which kinda kills the joy of watching a texas anime dub.

If you're gonna outsource, at least choose NYC or even Florida. I don't want funimation to become studiopolis 2.0
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
I wanna be optimistic for once so here's to hoping this means Sentai has the investment to dub more big name shows and can appear on Netflix originals again like they did with 7 seeds. I've been in a big mood for more sentai content since Funimation began outsourcing most of their dubs to la, which kinda kills the joy of watching a texas anime dub.

If you're gonna outsource, at least choose NYC or even Florida. I don't want funimation to become studiopolis 2.0

Are you sure about that? Because most of FUNImation dubs still use their Dallas based talent combined with LA and NY based talent as well as VAs from around the world, so the dubbing scene there isn't going anywhere.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
DevilBrew wrote:

Are you sure about that? Because most of FUNImation dubs still use their Dallas based talent combined with LA and NY based talent as well as VAs from around the world, so the dubbing scene there isn't going anywhere.

What dubs are you even talking about? A lot of their newer dubs primarily use la talent with texas actors getting minor roles instead. Idk what you mean why they say they're getting VA's from around the world cause that has never been the case.
macloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Im worried about how this will have any effects on the licences, both past and future, for the UK, seeing that MVM for example handles a lot of sentai releases.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Series5Ranger wrote:
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
.....I'm still waiting on Sentai to release Rage of Bahamu Virgin Soul on bluray this year who the hell knows when it will happen when it comes to the whims of this company.

Except Sentai never licensed RoB: Virgin Soul to begin with. Sure the Show was on Anime Strike, but it wasn't a Sentai Title on it.

Sentai has released quite a few former Anime Strike titles with new dubs in the last year its not to out of the way to assume they will eventually do the same with Virgin Soul. The fact that Chris Rager(one of the leads of the Rage of Bahamut dub) showed up in two recent Houston dubs is a pretty decent lead that they dubbed Virgin Soul at some point last year and are simply sitting on the release tho this is still just a theory could eventually be announced wouldn't surprise me at all if it is within the next few months.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well,thanks everyone. That includes you,Tenchi. That clears things up rather nicely. Thanks again. I appreciate it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
Using talent from California and a few other countries like Australia doesn't change the fact that most of their current simuldubs are being directed by people employed by Funimation or at nearby studios like Sound Cadence and Okratron.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Using talent from California and a few other countries like Australia doesn't change the fact that most of their current simuldubs are being directed by people employed by Funimation or at nearby studios like Sound Cadence and Okratron.

Exactly what I'm saying.
I Am Audrey, how are you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So when's Discotek next?
it’s not Discotek but RetroCrush’s parent (Digital Media Rights) is now partially owned by Cinedgm [/list]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5