• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Dress-Up Darling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm glad you liked it. I, for one, am not looking forward to another Nagatoro. I hope this dynamic isn't going to be the norm, and the start to approach each other as equals quite soon.

Me neither. That show was shamelessly a one trick pony so the material got pretty stale pretty quick. The interaction between Gojo and Kitagawa feels more organic and creative (i.e. their reactions being able to go in many ways).

I hope it continues this way, don't let me down.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm glad you liked it. I, for one, am not looking forward to another Nagatoro. I hope this dynamic isn't going to be the norm, and the start to approach each other as equals quite soon.

This show doesn't at all feel like Nagatoro considering that Marin isn't doing anything to purposely make Wakana feel uncomfortable, it's all his own doing. I've haven't read the manga, but I do have a feeling that once Wakana starts helping Marin to make more costumes, he'll become much less anxious and more comfortable.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not talking about the plot context, although Marin's obliviousness to the discomfort she's causing does feel almost deliberate in terms of how she decided to live her life. (Outside the context of a manic pixie dream girl show, I would easily describe her as a self-centered jerk, considering the way she barges into his home and then his room) But watching 24 minutes of our male lead stammering and freaking out is not my idea of a good time, which is the similarity I'm talking about.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio

Stick around for another episode. If the anime follows the manga spoiler[that goes away very quickly.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
Marin painted her toenails to match her eyes. Why is she having problems cosplaying again? And why does she ask that question herself? I've never seen a show have so little faith in its own premise... Her reaction when Gojo's hand reached her groin, that I understood, the rest of it, no.

She barges into his bedroom, strips down to her very coordinated swimsuit and makeup because she knew he was going to see what she was showing but then she was clueless to his reactions to it? I'd say she was treating him like furniture but she probably respects furniture.

I have a saying that seems to fit her very well: "Who are you when you're at home?" We don't know yet and she may not know either.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
Do Japanese in general get English euphemisms (i.e., cheesecake) that went out of fashion half a century ago?

It seems that Marin bringing a cheesecake as a visiting gift is a joke intended for the viewers and not the characters.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Marin painted her toenails to match her eyes. Why is she having problems cosplaying again? And why does she ask that question herself? I've never seen a show have so little faith in its own premise... Her reaction when Gojo's hand reached her groin, that I understood, the rest of it, no.

Why would Marin being able to paint her toenails to match her eyes mean that she should be able to make her own cosplay costume? One is a pretty basic skill that most people could learn in just a few minutes, while making costumes is so much more complicated, especially for someone who has never sewn before. Plus, for all we know, she might not have painted her toenails herself and, instead, may have gone to a salon to get a pedicure.I don't see why her not understanding why she can't make a costume even though she has a book on how to make costumes equates the show not having faith in its own premise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Why would Marin being able to paint her toenails to match her eyes mean that she should be able to make her own cosplay costume? One is a pretty basic skill that most people could learn in just a few minutes, while making costumes is so much more complicated, especially for someone who has never sewn before. Plus, for all we know, she might not have painted her toenails herself and, instead, may have gone to a salon to get a pedicure.I don't see why her not understanding why she can't make a costume even though she has a book on how to make costumes equates the show not having faith in its own premise.

I'd say the series realized after the fact that Marin's first attempt would be taking a base outfit and accessorizing it to the point she gets a gross approximation of what she's trying to make but they try to hide it by saying "oh no, what she'd really do it start at 0 with some cloth and a book saying it's so easy, anyone can do it... and we'll then lampshade it with a comment from Marin saying she still couldn't do it."
Editor: "But everything else about her is prefab so why would her first cosplay outfit attempt be 100% homemade?"

This is why writers hate editors, they're such pests. I am glad that we're not coming into the premise with Marin merely seeking to improve her cosplay... and that is still true after episode 2... but I am annoyed the series spent more time ogling her body than it did explaining what she's trying to do and why. With an established hobby, we can build a character from there but with a new interest right from the start, we have to first establish a baseline character.

Oh. there's my biggest problem here. Seeing how adept Marin is at establishing her appearance in every situation... presumably... why would she even try to act clueless as to what her appearance is doing to Goji, let alone be clueless? "Because it's funny"?

It's funny in the classroom, in his bedroom it's something else entirely.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'd say the series realized after the fact that Marin's first attempt would be taking a base outfit and accessorizing it to the point she gets a gross approximation of what she's trying to make but they try to hide it by saying "oh no, what she'd really do it start at 0 with some cloth and a book saying it's so easy, anyone can do it... and we'll then lampshade it with a comment from Marin saying she still couldn't do it."
Editor: "But everything else about her is prefab so why would her first cosplay outfit attempt be 100% homemade?"

This is why writers hate editors, they're such pests. I am glad that we're not coming into the premise with Marin merely seeking to improve her cosplay... and that is still true after episode 2... but I am annoyed the series spent more time ogling her body than it did explaining what she's trying to do and why. With an established hobby, we can build a character from there but with a new interest right from the start, we have to first establish a baseline character.

I have absolutely no idea where you're getting any of this. Have you ever actually talked to a cosplayer and why they do it or how they get started? It's actually very realistic that Marin would pick up some fabric and a how-to book, try to make a costume from scratch, and realize it's beyond her abilities and tons of cosplayers have started out exactly that way. They also explain very clearly what Marin is trying to do and why: she wants to cosplay this character because she loves her and thinks it would be fun to "become" her for a day. You don't need a deeper reason, because most cosplayers don't have a deeper reason.

And what is this prefab nonsense? You're judging her for dressing a speaking a certain way when the whole point of the series is not to make assumptions about people based on their likes and hobbies. [Edit: removed personal comment. Errinundra]

Quote:
Oh. there's my biggest problem here. Seeing how adept Marin is at establishing her appearance in every situation... presumably... why would she even try to act clueless as to what her appearance is doing to Goji, let alone be clueless? "Because it's funny"?

It's funny in the classroom, in his bedroom it's something else entirely.

Nah, the lack of self-awareness is actually developmentally typical for the age. I actually loved how un-self-conscious she was. It spoke of confidence and comfort in her own skin. She doesn't see her body as shameful or inherently sexual, so it doesn't occur to her that Gojo would until he gets close to the body part that is inherently sexual.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac,

You're bordering on trolling. I'm not surprised people are getting frustrated with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
If I'm understanding Animegomaniac correctly, they're asking why she doesn't just buy a pre-made cosplay outfit and accessorize it to be more like her character of interest's outfit (assuming there isn't already one on the market for that popular character). It doesn't seem to be beyond her means, and she doesn't make her own clothes, so if she can't sew, that's an option, which for some reason she hasn't considered, despite the fact that she can't sew. My own take on it is that even so, she wants to try to create it with her own hands, somehow, as if that will bring her closer to the character she loves.

Re: the question about why she seems oblivious to Gojo's discomfort, or rather why would she be so, I think the answer is that we were told that she does some professional modeling, so she's used to being outfitted and measured and seen in underwear, and no longer thinks much of it.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Nah, the lack of self-awareness is actually developmentally typical for the age. I actually loved how un-self-conscious she was. It spoke of confidence and comfort in her own skin.

The first sentence there doesn't seem to match the next two. If lacking self-awareness (in the context here of being aware of how you're perceived rather than an objective analysis of your mental state of being) is typical, then being unself-conscious and comfortable in your own skin wouldn't be extraordinary for a teenager. I dunno, most of the teenagers I knew (and was) and know are hyper-self-aware, and always concerned about how they might be seen by others. Which is why her being so comfortable in her own skin and oblivious to Gojo's view of her stands out as unusual.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The first sentence there doesn't seem to match the next two. If lacking self-awareness (in the context here of being aware of how you're perceived rather than an objective analysis of your mental state of being) is typical, then being unself-conscious and comfortable in your own skin wouldn't be extraordinary for a teenager. I dunno, most of the teenagers I knew (and was) and know are hyper-self-aware, and always concerned about how they might be seen by others. Which is why her being so comfortable in her own skin and oblivious to Gojo's view of her stands out as unusual.

I probably worded that poorly. Her lack of awareness of the effect she is having on Gojo is pretty typical - she doesn't think of what she's doing as sexual so why would he? Teens may be constantly thinking about how others perceived them but they're actually not very good at knowing how they're actually perceived vs what's going on in they're own heads.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
I am not fan service adverse but an entire episode given up to - for the millionth time - showcasing a Japanese male being reduced to a quivering mess by the proximity of female flesh? *yawn*

I like this show and I look forward to seeing more episodes, but I am very glad this one is out of the way.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
3:

Hot take: there's at least one person in your social circle who has had a wet dream of you.

Another episode of how Gojo's introversion goes head to head against Kitagawa's extroversion. Not really a conflict, but how they are realizing and gradually warming up to each other's personality. Right now, that really works about their relationship is how Kitagawa doesn't judge and care about other people think, and how Gojo chooses to keep up with Kitagawa's whims even when some of her likings are not his thing. They actually know this about each other, so it's going to blossom further.

I'm just wondering if they will experience some kind of friction down the road, that would be interesting to see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that soon he might need a kick up the butt for what he was doing in avoiding her, since it would make her feel like he is embarrassed being seen with her.

2 weeks is a very short time to be thrown onto him as a time imit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5