• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nagoshi's New Crew

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you intrigued or upset with Baiken's new gameplay direction in GG Strive?

It's not like this is the first time ArcSys has changed up Baiken's play style anyway. Accent Core was the first to change up her counters, and in my opinion made them more complicated & less intuitive (especially her super counter). Meanwhile, Xrd changed them completely from "react on block"-style, like an actual Alpha Counter, to being more based around guessing what your opponent is doing & timing them accordingly, i.e. you could actually whiff them & leave yourself open. As someone that's loved playing as Baiken ever since GGX, I've sadly never really felt as comfortable with her as I once did, though her Xrd version was still fun on the whole, admittedly; just not the Baiken that I enjoyed for so long.

It's like when Dead or Alive 4 changed its counter system from just "Back+Free" for everything to "Back or Forward+Free, depending on if it's a Punch or Kick attack", which completely messed with me & made the game much harder to just pick up & play.

As for how Baiken looks to play in Strive, it does look cool, and I honestly like the tether system. As for character design, while the "increased size" was noticeable in Xrd, it is getting a bit silly now with Strive. It doesn't run Baiken for me (I'm no prude), but I will admit that I do prefer her older designs more, in this case, except for the single-eye goggle, which is still cool.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dead or Alive has been back and forward with how the counter system should work first game it was 6 way
VelvetPierrot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yacht Club Games, of Shovel Knight fame, are teasing a “megaton announcement” for February 1st on a G4TV livestream. Perhaps this is the long-speculated Shovel Knight 2?

It's strange that some media didn't even remember this: Shovel Knight Dig was announced in 2019 and Yacht Club Games posted an update on their site: https://www.yachtclubgames.com/blog/development-update-delve-into-dig-2022
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Dead or Alive has been back and forward with how the counter system should work first game it was 6 way

I literally just checked the manuals for DoA 2-4, and they back up what I said. 2 & 3 were simply "Back+Free" to counter literally any blow, with slightly adjustments for high, medium, or low. I played a bunch of those two entries back in the day, and I loved how simple the counters were, because it added that sense of "you could be countered at any point".

DoA4 changed it where "Back+Free" only countered middle punches, while "Forward+Free" only countered middle kicks (highs & lows were back for everything), and for me that completely ruined the mechanic. I'm not all that great at being that kind of predictive, and I remember getting screwed over way more than I liked, and while the fighting itself was still great, the counters were messed with in a way that I didn't agree with. Outside of Dimensions for the 3DS, which returned to "Back+Free/Hold" for everything", I have not played any of the later Dead or Alive games.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:57 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Nagoshi Studio is headed up for former longtime Sega producer Toshihiro Nagoshi, who got his start working with Sega's arcade teams

May as well

"Sega exits the arcade business after 56 years - Publisher sells remaining 14.9% of shares to Genda, all arcades will be rebranded as GiGO"

Quote:
An era ends as Sega fully withdraws from the arcade business in its home territory of Japan.

The news reported by Yakuza fansite The Tojo Dojo (spotted by Eurogamer), which says the publisher is selling all remaining shares in its arcade operations to Japanese amusement rental business Genda Inc.

Back in November 2020, the company sold 85.1% of shares in its Sega Entertainment division, which handles its arcades, to Genda for an undisclosed sum. Genda will now take the remaining 14.9% of shares and rebrand all of its locations.

Genda chairman Takashi Kataoka tweeted that every Sega arcade in Japan will now be branded as GiGO, an acronym for "Get into the Gaming Oasis."
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Nate148 wrote:

I literally just checked the manuals for DoA 2-4, and they back up what I said. 2 & 3 were simply "Back+Free" to counter literally any blow, with slightly adjustments for high, medium, or low. I played a bunch of those two entries back in the day, and I loved how simple the counters were, because it added that sense of "you could be countered at any point".

DoA4 changed it where "Back+Free" only countered middle punches, while "Forward+Free" only countered middle kicks (highs & lows were back for everything), and for me that completely ruined the mechanic. I'm not all that great at being that kind of predictive, and I remember getting screwed over way more than I liked, and while the fighting itself was still great, the counters were messed with in a way that I didn't agree with. Outside of Dimensions for the 3DS, which returned to "Back+Free/Hold" for everything", I have not played any of the later Dead or Alive games.

agreed, two days ago 8wnas talking. with a friend how combo breakers were too complex to be fun in ki, but in omk, they were so simple the became an actual gameplay element as that added the element of predicting or baiting one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1