• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Halt Ad-Supported Streaming Starting With Spring 2022 Season

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:53 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised if half the people complaining here are the same people who still pirated anime even when CR had ad-supported episodes.

Last edited by paulchaested on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
And what if someone just wants to watch a single show on CR? At the moment they could watch it with ads, but soon they will have to pay a subscription?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quite the decision being made. As of last year, Crunchyroll had 120 million users, and of those, only 5 million were paying subscribers.
Quote:
Crunchyroll announced on Tuesday that it has garnered more than five million subscribers and more than 120 million registered users. The service had surpassed four million subscribers and 100 million registered users in February.
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2021-08-04/crunchyroll-surpasses-5-million-subscribers/.175871

The difference between those numbers is enormous. A significant portion of Crunchyroll's revenue as a result is that ad revenue. A significant portion of the anime audience are minors who are under the age of 16 and aren't able to get a job. I discovered Crunchyroll in 2009 when I was 15, and I watched everything in SD with ads on the delay. It wasn't until I got my part-time job in 2012 when I was 18 that I finally got the subscription.

If their parents won't get them the Crunchyroll subscription, lots are going to turn to piracy and they'll probably never come back. It's going to be interesting to see how much piracy will grow following this decision.

One of the things that helped Crunchyroll grow so big in the first place is the free tier with ads. This is also something that helped FUNimation grow too when they began streaming in 2008, and they didn't have a subscription service until 2011/2012. HIDIVE not having a free tier with ads has been a disadvantage going all the way back to the Anime Network Online days which had a select few free episodes. For anyone curious, as of 2020, HIDIVE had about 300,000 subscribers since they launched in 2017.
Quote:
When did HiDive launch and how has it been doing?

HiDive launched two and a half years ago. The growth has been fantastic. We went from just a handful of users to floating around 300,000 users right now. It’s [subscription video on demand] SVOD, so it doesn’t have advertising.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/01/16/houston-based-japanese-animation-co-receives.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:06 pm Reply with quote
They're also still blocked access to most of the back catalogue to non-subscibers in Canada. They don't do this in any other country and still haven't provided an explanation as to why. Soon, most of the site will be locked to subscribers only in Canada.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
And what if someone just wants to watch a single show on CR? At the moment they could watch it with ads, but soon they will have to pay a subscription?
They'll either not watch or go to piracy. The lack of a free option with ads for just a few shows is one reason I never watched anything Amazon or Netflix snatched up, and same will go for Disney+ and their offerings (which I hope aren't dubtitled like Star Wars Visions). It's also why for years I didn't watch Anime Network Online exclusives as I was already subbed to Crunchyroll and FUNimation and wasn't making a lot of money. Hulu having lots of Sentai stuff for free with ads helped, though Hulu did away with the free tier with ads in August 2016 and moved that to Yahoo! View, and Yahoo! View shut down in June 2019. I do finally have a HIDIVE subscription as well, though I really wish they also had a free with ads tier for those unable to justify multiple subscriptions or don't have the money for any subscriptions yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sharkticon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What I think a number of people are missing, is that this will both be a driver of a return to piracy, and be the right business policy decision for CR.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:16 pm Reply with quote
No one said their back catalogue would be subscription only. Free users will still have access to it with ads. Likewise, there was no indication that after the spring season that they wouldn't just make this only for the current season. So, at most viewers would be behind is 3 months, not forever.

If you think waiting 3 months to watch something for free is too long, I'm calling you entitled. As a child, I had to wait years from the initial air date and months between episodes, (oh, the dark ages of anime or as some call them, the age of great anime).

Of course, simulcasts are nice and do curb anime piracy, but what about waiting a week? I know people who would have none of that and would rather pirate than pay or wait. Even then, if ads were mandatory day 1, they would still find a way to avoid them. As a former friend of mine said when pirating, "Why pay for something you can get for free?"

CR might even have more plans down the road we are currently unaware of.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if half the people complaining here are the same people who still pirated anime even when CR had ad-supported episodes.

I pirated even while I was paying a subscription.

Mune wrote:
If you think waiting 3 months to watch something for free is too long, I'm calling you entitled. As a child, I had to wait years from the initial air date and months between episodes, (oh, the dark ages of anime or as some call them, the age of great anime).

Kids these days, I swear!
Back in my time we had to walk three mile sin the snow to the store to buy one gallon of anime! And if you weren't careful you would be enlisted in the army in the way... there were other ways to get that anime, but you needed to trade two goats and three chickens for it!
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, at most viewers would be behind is 3 months, not forever.

It doesn't say this. It says from the Spring season, new simulcasts and new seasons to ongoing shows will be paywalled except for the first three episodes which will be available as ad-supported tasters. When those seasons complete their broadcast, simulcast runs, those first three episodes will be paywalled as well. You won't see them for free.

They also say that existing content pre-Spring 2022 will keep the free ad-supported option. The "for now" is implicit. They can be paywalled at Crunchymation's whim, or when the licenses are renewed.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
sharkticon wrote:
09jcg wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

It's going to hurt anime in the long run, too. First Crunchy nearly monopolize the business with the Funimation merger, now they put everything behind a paywall. In the long run, all that does is mean fewer people will get into anime, which means fewer customers for Crunchyroll. The ad-supported streams were how a lot of kids and casual fans became more devoted fans, and now that's going to be over.

Sounds like another case of a huge company buying a business they don't actually understand.
I think this is the biggest issue. I've been a paying subscriber for years, but I'm older and well into an established career. 14 year old me would never have been able to afford a subscription. I don't think I'm unique, in that as time went on and I began to have disposable income that I started paying for subscriptions. They're cutting off their future paying customers before they get a chance to become fans

Crunchyroll didn't exist when I was 14. I became a fan watching the Sci-Fi channel, Cartoon Network, and Saturday morning cartoons on various channels. Anime is even more culturally ubiquitous now. There will still be new fans.
It didn't exist when I was 14 either. I grew up on Toonami as well (in addition to the Sci fi channels long forgotten anime blocks, so I'm assume we're both the same late 80s early 90s demographic), which was part of a cable package my parents paid for. I'm sure there will still be fans, but the barrier to entry just increased. People don't consume media through things like Toonami anymore. They do so through streaming and now a decent chunk of the audience is locked out of the premier anime streaming site

Last edited by 09jcg on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mune wrote:

Yuvelir wrote:
Kids these days, I swear!
Back in my time we had to walk three mile sin the snow to the store to buy one gallon of anime! And if you weren't careful you would be enlisted in the army in the way... there were other ways to get that anime, but you needed to trade two goats and three chickens for it!

It was the main driving force for pirating 10 years ago, which was that if anime wasn't available as fast as pirating, then people would be more swayed to pirate. Thus, as a main complaint, streaming companies, like CR and Funi started simulcasting within hours of the airing, and it worked to some degree. Here's the thing, the vast majority of people who pirate will never pay to watch and will give excuses why they won't. I've heard plenty of excuses. It's either the quality isn't as good, the translation isn't accurate, the company doesn't spend money the way they want, the people who work on it are bad, someone at the company is bad, ...and the list goes on and on.

Last edited by Mune on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to add this, but re-reading this garbage corporate quote is quite amusing when you consider this decision.
Quote:
“When we brought Funimation and Crunchyroll together last year, our top priority was to put fans first,” said Colin Decker, CEO of Crunchyroll. “Unifying all of our brands and services under the Crunchyroll brand globally enables us to offer more value than ever before as we combine subs, dubs, simulcasts, library, music, movies, manga—all into one subscription. The new Crunchyroll is the realization of a dream, and we are grateful to the creators of anime and the millions of fans who have joined us in making the community what it is today.”
https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4495938340500-Anime-Fans-Win-as-Funimation-Global-Group-Content-Moves-to-Crunchyroll-Starting-Today-

"Fans first", except the ones that were watching for free with ads.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

Yes, clearly things should never get better, because they weren't good when you were a child. What a smart and totally not psychotic viewpoint on things.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I used to work in a coffee shop and this other business owner would leave her kid to sit in with us while she had to take care of manager stuff, and the kid loved anime. I remember him telling me he liked Promised Neverland (when there was only one season) but he hadn’t watched the finale yet “because I don’t have premium.” I let the kid watch it on my phone as long as he promised not to go snooping, and he didn’t, and was seriously so happy he didn’t have to wait a week. And a happy ending to the story, he told his mama what I did and she said she got him a premium account because she just didn’t know.

That’s all to say, this is gonna turn tweens/teens, arguably most of animes target demo, to piracy. Parents are already probably paying for two or three streaming services, and Crunchyroll is a harder sell than Disney+.

This sucks.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting as I keep hearing that other streaming services like Disney+ are considering adding a streaming-with-ads option, so to see Crunchy do the opposite is a choice for sure. Charging for something that has been free for ages rarely feels like a great move.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13