• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Debuts Heroines Run the Show Anime's English Dub on Thursday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is as close as we'll get to seeing the Honeyworks Confession Rehearsal stuff dubbed since it's set in the same universe.

(How many dubs is Sarah in this season?).
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I guess this is as close as we'll get to seeing the Honeyworks Confession Rehearsal stuff dubbed since it's set in the same universe.

Its far to many from the looks of it. It looks like Cris George is playing it safe with his casting this time around can't say I'm thrilled about that but will hold my opinion of the dub until I actually watch it.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Sarah will do a good job and be able to attract people who were put off by Hiyori's Japanese voice. I'm not that into VAs (JP or EN) so I don't recognize most of the names, but I hope they'll do a good job! Apparently Cris George also directed the Uramichi dub which I really liked.

Edit: Huh, turns out I HAVE seen Sarah in the Otherside Picnic and New Sakura Wars dubs, but she played Kozakura and Azami which are very different characters than Hiyori. Wonder how different her performance will be then.
RaeRoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Looks like 3 so far. key, named characters too
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:44 am Reply with quote
I feel like Funimation used to have a lot more varied VAs back in early to mid 2010s. Did everyone move to LA for better pay? I know J. Michael Tatum moved to LA and he said he would continue to be in TX dubs but I wonder how that's going to happen now with remote dubbing ending.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like Funimation used to have a lot more varied VAs back in early to mid 2010s. Did everyone move to LA for better pay? I know J. Michael Tatum moved to LA and he said he would continue to be in TX dubs but I wonder how that's going to happen now with remote dubbing ending.

A lot of actors did/are and for good reason. Funimation was always a bit more willing to use LA talent every now and then even prior to 2019, especially if it was someone they had worked with before who moved (and that jumped exponentially to include actors who were always based in LA with more remote-recording being utilized). But LA studios have historically not done the same, even for sequel reprisals, and had only just started extending casting recently, and rarely in major roles (but it was at least improving somewhat). The biggest exception that comes to mind pre-2020 was probably Clifford Chapin as Kaworu in the Netflix Eva dub, and that still wasn't really that long ago either.

So if you live in TX, have done some work for Funi (now CR), and can manage to afford the move to LA - you can open up a lot more doors for yourself while still maintaining working relationships with directors in TX. And Funimation dubbed the majority of anime even pre-merger, so there would always be at least something if a couple directors remembered and liked you.

Heck, I maintain you could thrown in the fact that TX is bleeding local, experienced talent (who don't already work as directors/writers/engineers) left and right as one of the multiple likely reasons they are mandating local actors only outside of reprisals (on top of simply getting dubs out faster, return on investment for the new expensive building, creating a wall between local and non-local actors to nip pay/unionization discussions in the bud, pick your poison). It used to be you'd see actors make the move after years of working in TX; think Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, Troy Baker, J Michael Tatum, Amanda Lee, Alejandro Saab, etc... or directors like Christopher Bevins. But that window keeps getting shorter and shorter and its not uncommon to see actors with one or two named roles under their belt already wanting to leave for better opportunities, while also keeping a safety net of connections.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 am Reply with quote
Was already planning to watch this one, but with Sarah Wiedenheft's name on it I'm absolutely sold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

A lot of actors did/are and for good reason. Funimation was always a bit more willing to use LA talent every now and then even prior to 2019, especially if it was someone they had worked with before who moved (and that jumped exponentially to include actors who were always based in LA with more remote-recording being utilized). But LA studios have historically not done the same, even for sequel reprisals, and had only just started extending casting recently, and rarely in major roles (but it was at least improving somewhat). The biggest exception that comes to mind pre-2020 was probably Clifford Chapin as Kaworu in the Netflix Eva dub, and that still wasn't really that long ago either.

So if you live in TX, have done some work for Funi (now CR), and can manage to afford the move to LA - you can open up a lot more doors for yourself while still maintaining working relationships with directors in TX. And Funimation dubbed the majority of anime even pre-merger, so there would always be at least something if a couple directors remembered and liked you.

Heck, I maintain you could thrown in the fact that TX is bleeding local, experienced talent (who don't already work as directors/writers/engineers) left and right as one of the multiple likely reasons they are mandating local actors only outside of reprisals (on top of simply getting dubs out faster, return on investment for the new expensive building, creating a wall between local and non-local actors to nip pay/unionization discussions in the bud, pick your poison). It used to be you'd see actors make the move after years of working in TX; think Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, Troy Baker, J Michael Tatum, Amanda Lee, Alejandro Saab, etc... or directors like Christopher Bevins. But that window keeps getting shorter and shorter and its not uncommon to see actors with one or two named roles under their belt already wanting to leave for better opportunities, while also keeping a safety net of connections.

I guess we're also going to see less of Funi vets who moved to LA in future dubs outside reprisals or sequels that get LA dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1