• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Tales Mobile Curse

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Something big this week was Starfield and Redfall both delayed to early 2023, leaving the rest of the year rather barren for high-profile game releases. Which may make for a quiet holiday season, with only S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 still slated for Dec - but since it's an Ukraine studio, ya never know now

TranceLimit174 wrote:

I'm surprised: no mention of the Dead or Alive series officially being dead in the water since it recently came out that DOA7 was canned during early development?

Could be a hoax:

MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
From what little I played of Luminaria I also want to say that it being an action oriented game with a third person camera, in VERTICLE phone view was such a terrible choice.
Could barely see anything around my character standing nice and tall in the middle of the screen. Surely horizontal phone view would've made far more sense for a game that was trying to be an action game!

I agree, the gameplay really turned me off from the game and I never got very far in it. It just felt like mashing the attack button and swiping in the vague direction you wanted to go in. The fact that you had to play so much for each character route was even more of a turnoff, since it just felt like so much padding.

It's a shame, because I really liked the voice acting as the characters seemed interesting, I just didn't want to have to play it enough to learn more.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Luminaria was heavily promoted? I rarely, if ever, saw any ads for it, and my algorithm is pretty much laser-focused into that demographic! As in, I play a whole bunch of anime-style mobile games, and even watch ads on some of them, e.g. Another Eden and Lord of Heroes, in order to get extra goodies. I saw plenty of ads for stuff like Girls' Frontline, Arknights, Epic Seven, etc. -- all games I already play, by the way -- but I never saw a single ad for Luminaria. So whatever advertising they were doing wasn't hitting actual mobage players. (Or maybe I'm just cursed to never see a Tales game ad idk.)

Anyway, I'm a Tales fan, but I skipped Luminaria, so I can't really speak to why it was canceled so quickly, at least in regard to its mechanics. But, I can say that I personally skipped Luminaria precisely because all the previous English-language Tales mobile games have shut down. After Link, Rays, and Crestoria, I just didn't have it in me anymore to give Bamco yet another chance, and I suspect a few other Tales fans might have skipped the title for the same reason.

But, yeah, it's unfortunate that these mobile forays have ended so badly for the Tales franchise, because I suspect that they had been intended as replacements for the Tales handheld crossover experience (ala Tales of the World). I actually really loved Radiant Mythology, and I'd love if Bamco returned to stuff like that for handheld consoles, but with the mobile market being the big money-maker right now and handhelds being essentially a thing of the past, I doubt they will... Unless they decide to port their mobile games to the Switch. But what with English-language versions of Tales mobile series consistently failing, I'm now just plain concerned about the overall future of Tales crossover games. At least in their possibility of being released in English, if nothing else.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
with only S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 still slated for Dec - but since it's an Ukraine studio, ya never know now

STALKER 2 has already been put on hold.
PyrosAWX

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Something big this week was Starfield and Redfall both delayed to early 2023, leaving the rest of the year rather barren for high-profile game releases

The Final Fantasy 35th anniversay website has hinted to another game release this year. Although, this doesn't mean it would be a "high-profile release".
egozi14

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:25 am Reply with quote
As a long Tales of fan who played most of the titles,
It may be unfair to say it but I thinks it serves them right,

They should focus more on making Tales Of what it is and properly should keep porting their old games over trying again and again to jump on the gacha train,

I was hopping into Tales since they had some interesing stories, charas,
and awesome gameplay, but once they started to go astray by taking inspiration from other games like Skyrim (looking at ToZ), taking out the chibi world map to replace it with lifeless areas (Most Tales that came after ToV) or stuck with the ToG battle system which was less of what we had in the main titles since it was adapted from a sistership title,
I kinda had hard time to recommend the title as most of its recent games had theirs up and downs (mostly with the gameplay but at times with the story),

Rn I would rather they go to their roots while adding new things to there over removing a lot of nice mechanism or focusing on yet another money grabbing gacha game that once again give you some random boring story where you meet all of the charas we know and love in alternative world for the 10000th time, it was fun at first but lost it meaning quickly after~
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 am Reply with quote
ToG's battle system 'adapted from a sister title?' It's from Destiny DC and Rebirth, which are mainline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2