• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Lays Off 150 Employees, Mostly in the U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

They're cutting out the positions that have no real merit or point.

If that were true then they'd be firing whatever executive decided they should cancel all their shows after two seasons. I promise you that the social media team has done more to promote that brand than the higher-ups who have done nothing but embarrass the company over the past six months. Folks love to mock social media employees, but the fact is that these people potentially reach most customers than the ad execs putting commercials on TV.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
As far as animation goes It seemed like Netflix was greenlighting anything and everything pitched to them regardless of how much demand there was for it. Now it's catching up to them.

That was true for all their divisions. Animation was, ironically, one of the few consistently good areas of content for Netflix. But when they began losing money, cartoons were singled out and cut down in far greater numbers than live action projects. And most of these projects looked great, and many had gotten more than a year of work put into them before they were axed. It's short-sighted and wasteful, but that's always been how Netflix seems to roll.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Quality over quantity, I say. Hopefully this leads to better content down the road.

This has nothing whatosever to do with quality. Netflix's CEO is on record saying that he wants every cartoon on the service to be like The Boss Baby. When that trash is your model for quality, it's no wonder that anything with any creativity or heart in it is getting killed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Considering nearly all these cuts have been shows designed more for positive articles than revenue, I doubt it. The showrunner was actually the same person who handled the recently canceled Naomi for the CW, which was a complete disaster. Maybe they thought that meant she couldn’t be trusted on a series.
Naomi being canceled doesn't have much to do with it's quality or perceived lack of but because the CW is selling themselves to another company and most of their shows are being canceled.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
its fan outreach site Tudum

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

Maybe people thought it was too dumb?

Well, no, it's obviously a riff on their logo sound effect. It just looks stupid. Like a knock-off antacid brand. They paid someone to come up with that. smh

Sounds too dumb tu me.
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
Guess glowing news articles and likes/retweets don’t pay the bills anymore Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
Guess glowing news articles and likes/retweets don’t pay the bills anymore Laughing

They never did, but when times are good (namely everyone was willing to work with you, you had the lion’s share of streaming traffic, etc) you can pursue positive PR and social media clout without worrying about the bottom line. Now that everyone and their mother has a streaming service and won’t share their toys with Netflix anymore, they need to be much more cognizant of where their dollars go. Hell, that company memo from a few weeks back flat out warns the people acquiring shows to, and I quote “spend our subscribers money wisely.”
IG

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

They're cutting out the positions that have no real merit or point.

If that were true then they'd be firing whatever executive decided they should cancel all their shows after two seasons. I promise you that the social media team has done more to promote that brand than the higher-ups who have done nothing but embarrass the company over the past six months. Folks love to mock social media employees, but the fact is that these people potentially reach most customers than the ad execs putting commercials on TV.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
As far as animation goes It seemed like Netflix was greenlighting anything and everything pitched to them regardless of how much demand there was for it. Now it's catching up to them.

That was true for all their divisions. Animation was, ironically, one of the few consistently good areas of content for Netflix. But when they began losing money, cartoons were singled out and cut down in far greater numbers than live action projects. And most of these projects looked great, and many had gotten more than a year of work put into them before they were axed. It's short-sighted and wasteful, but that's always been how Netflix seems to roll.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Quality over quantity, I say. Hopefully this leads to better content down the road.

This has nothing whatosever to do with quality. Netflix's CEO is on record saying that he wants every cartoon on the service to be like The Boss Baby. When that trash is your model for quality, it's no wonder that anything with any creativity or heart in it is getting killed.
Um no,the reason for those cancellations.Because they did not have the numbers for the show's cost . If they dont have the ratings that can cover the cost produce they will cancel it . It simple as thought . Netflix is a business and not a charity .As for animation , animation is expensive . Way more than live-action.So cutting the animation does make sense . Especially since they are rumors they have been not as good as they been letting on . Just because something is being talked on youtube. Does not mean it's a success .So if the boss baby is getting the numbers than acourse they will go that route.Because again Netflix is a business and they have to be verry careful of what they green lit now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2