• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Seven Seas Voluntarily Recognizes UW7S Workers Union

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:45 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

I think they're referring to the incident with I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl where the translator stood by their change along with their other industry peers until people contacted the Japanese mangaka and publisher to look into it which prompted a [url=]response from Seven Seas.
Don't ever do this people.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:23 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
This union has nothing to do with translators who are contractors, I thought. This is for the full-time staff.

You are correct this unionization does not apply to freelancers and contractors, which is why I expressed doubt on such statements being genuine and truthful.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

I think they're referring to the incident with I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl where the translator stood by their change along with their other industry peers until people contacted the Japanese mangaka and publisher to look into it which prompted a [url=]response from Seven Seas.

I hope you mean the mistranslation and not the people who contacted the publisher about it.

Also, glad the union issue was sorted out Smile . Hope everything works out going forward, it might be a bit turbulent before everything is settled down. And as said above, it's too bad it doesn't cover freelancers.

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
livin_large

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="Alphonae"]This is fine and all, but there's one part that concerns me.
> Staff should never be required to work on materials that make them uncomfortable.
So does that mean the end of some of the more raunchy titles from Seven Seas?

If I had to guess either they won't be licensed at all or they'll use this ruling to justify more changes being made to the titles they work on so the workers feel more comfortable working on them. I have a bad feeling this is just the start of more of these kinds of situations popping up Sad
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:37 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

I hope you mean the mistranslation and not the people who contacted the publisher about it.

Also, glad the union issue was sorted out Smile . Hope everything works out going forward, it might be a bit turbulent before everything is settled down. And as said above, it's too bad it doesn't cover freelancers.

the later clearly, it's shitty and wrong
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:22 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
the later clearly, it's shitty and wrong

There's nothing wrong raising an issue about and trying to get a mistake corrected. It would be worse NOT trying so I really don't understand your reasoning here? Confused
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
If you're both talking about what happened with Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite, the translator and co-translator for Mushoku Tensei came out saying they were unaware that their work was edited post-translation to remove text.

They got harassed on the net for a mistake if that

Does it really count as a mistake when they double down on their decision?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
This union has nothing to do with translators who are contractors, I thought. This is for the full-time staff.

Contractors cannot typically form or participate in unions, but that doesn't necessarily mean unions have nothing to do with them; a union can still work to improve a company's treatment of contractors, and in fact, it's usually in their best interests to do so, since it's bad for the full-time employees if management can offload their work on to underpaid contractors.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
Workers deserve protection; hopefully, this provides those workers protection without negatively impacting the product.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
This is fine and all, but there's one part that concerns me.
> Staff should never be required to work on materials that make them uncomfortable.
So does that mean the end of some of the more raunchy titles from Seven Seas?

No, it would just mean management would need to do the good faith work of:
A) Knowing the general nature of what they license. "Raunchy" can mean everything from a mildly risque romcom to hardcore non-con and everything inbetween. The company licensing it has a responsibility to know where that title lies.
B) Honestly and openly communicate that information to the staff working on that title. That includes the translator, letterer, and other editors. Make sure anyone working on a title knows what they're getting into before any contracts are signed.

Neither of those preclude Seven Seas (or any other licensor for that matter) from licensing R18 titles. It just means they need to recognize how some works under that banner can be upsetting for some to work on, and take a proactive approach to getting the right people working on them.

As for the talk of constractors and freelancers, that's also addressed in UW7S' site:
Quote:
Protections & benefits for freelancers.
Across the board increases to pay, kill fees, and revision fees must be implemented for our freelancers. A competitive pay scale that allows us to hire experienced letterers, translators, designers, etc. must be introduced and followed. Tests must be paid and reviewed in a reasonable timeframe.

Legally, freelancers and contractors can't unionize in the same way the full-time staff at Seven Seas can, but they are being included and considered in this.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
There's nothing wrong raising an issue about and trying to get a mistake corrected. It would be worse NOT trying so I really don't understand your reasoning here? Confused

I agree, customers absolutely should have the right to ask for proper services and products. However, a lot of people apparently love the taste of corporate boot and will defend companies and their anti-consumer business practices out of either brand fanatism or spite. I would certainly hope a successful unionization will lead to better products and treatment for the media Seven Seas licenses but I will reserve judgement until it becomes evident of the case.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Contacting the mangaka on their private time to bully the translator into changing the translation into the exact way you think it should be done at the risk of the translator losing their livelihood and being blacklisted from the industry is harassment of both the translator and the mangaka. If you have an issue with the translation, you email Seven Seas calmly and maturely like a grown adult. Or better yet learn Japanese yourself if you think you can do a better job. That so many “fans” think this mob mentality is acceptable shows how messed up anime and manga fandom is.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
Contacting the mangaka on their private time to bully the translator into changing the translation into the exact way you think it should be done at the risk of the translator losing their livelihood and being blacklisted from the industry is harassment of both the translator and the mangaka. If you have an issue with the translation, you email Seven Seas calmly and maturely like a grown adult.

It might do you a bit of favor reading my posts more carefully, I never said anything about contacting the mangaka. I was referring to the people contacting the publisher. That was the thing you suggested, yes? As per my first post;
Quote:

The mangaka herself expressed that people direct any inquiries concerning this toward the Japanese publisher instead. And I hope people were sensible to do that.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Alphonae wrote:

Quote:
Protections & benefits for freelancers.
Across the board increases to pay, kill fees, and revision fees must be implemented for our freelancers. A competitive pay scale that allows us to hire experienced letterers, translators, designers, etc. must be introduced and followed. Tests must be paid and reviewed in a reasonable timeframe.

Legally, freelancers and contractors can't unionize in the same way the full-time staff at Seven Seas can, but they are being included and considered in this.

This is very risky for them to include in their actual bargaining. A key principal to collective bargaining under US law is that the unit can only bargain about things which relate to people covered in the unit. Directly demanding an increase in freelancer pay, for example, as part of the deal could get them invalidated as a bargaining unit with the NLRB if they aren't careful.
Any and all demands must relate to the well-being of members of the bargaining unit directly.
They could theoretically claim that the company must "increase quality of freelance contractors in order to lower the burden on the employees' workload", for example.... but it starts to get into real gray area, litigatable issues when you go there.

So I suspect that when it comes down to brass tacks, these demands about freelancers and people not included in the union itself must be dropped prior to actual negotiations even if they don't disappear from their website. (Nothing wrong with saying you're on the side of freelancers, etc. The problems start when you make increasing their rates part of your bargaining agreement. )

Last edited by samuelp on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4