• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom of the Elite II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
In this case, it appears to be a pair test where only one of the two needs to pass.

Actually, it's the pair's total score that matters, in each individual subject (60) as well as across all subjects (700).

One thing I'm curious about: there appears to be an odd number (25) of students in the class (see 5:42 and 6:55). Who's the odd one out, and what do they do with him/her?

Episode Review wrote:
Ryuen is his own worse enemy. He uses violence too often and too liberally. People follow him out of fear, not loyalty. This will bite him in the ass one day.

Re: Class 1-C. spoiler[It looks like I guessed the traitor(s) correctly.] Ryūen does seem to have a small circle of loyalists, though, who help him control the rest of the class. I considered Ibuki to be one of them, based on the events of last season.
Telu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The moment Kushida was asked to relate her backstory is the moment she should have rethought her plan. If Ayanokoji doesn't know what happened, he isn't a target—especially as he has kept her outburst secret up until this point.

In Kushida's eyes, you don't need to know the details to be a target, as long as you know the minimum then you are already a target to expel.

At this point, Kushida has got to know (or at least highly suspect) that Ayanokoji is the mastermind of the class. So why hasn't she told Ryuen?

Because nobody knows how capable Ayanokoji is, the only ones that knows that Ayanokoji is a little bit capable (a little bit more than the average student) are:

Sae Chabashira (Class D - Teacher)

Sakayanagi Arisu (Class 1-A)

Honami Ichinose (Class 1-B)

Horikita Suzune (Class 1-D)

Kuruisawa Kei (Class 1-D)

Yosuke Hirata (Class 1-D)

Edit: I forgot to add Suzune's brother xd
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:30 pm Reply with quote
That backstory was a bit underwhelming considering the build up. Her mental state aside, she told a bunch of secrets and everyone else flipped out. Though some of those secrets were way above the others...

Quote:
Yelling your true feelings out loud seems even more risky than a blog. Honestly, I wonder if just having a private blog that only she could access wouldn't have worked.

Yeah, you'd think a diary would fit the bill lol
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
• At this point, Kushida has got to know (or at least highly suspect) that Ayanokoji is the mastermind of the class. So why hasn't she told Ryuen?

• I can't understand how Kushida sees the highly apathetic pair of Hirokita and Ayanokoji as more of a threat than Ryuen.

I think Ryūen has already figured out who the mastermind is. Last episode he recalled how he often saw Ayanokōji and Horikita together. This episode he sent an email to Ayanokōji addressing him as mastermind.

I do wonder why Kushida lets Ryūen see her hidden side. Does she not care because he's in a different class, or does she want to somehow get rid of him, too? Though I don't think she can outmaneuver him.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Kushida makes funny faces when she gets owned.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:20 pm Reply with quote
So I was wrong, Ryūen doesn't know for sure that Ayanokōji is the mastermind, he just suspects him. And given the way Kushida talks about the mastermind, she doesn't seem to know either.

"Don't Confront; Undermine" seems to be Ayanokōji's go-to strategy, just like in the pool episode and the island arc in season one.

Unfortunately, Karuizawa's actions this episode made it obvious to Kushida and Ryūen that she is one of the mastermind's pawns, making her a target.

We finally meet the white-haired girl (Shiina) seen in the OP and ED.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I figured cleaning the jacket was to get rid of that hand print evidence (if prints on fabric would even last that long), but I guess planting something works too. How exactly did Ryuen know where it was hidden btw when Kushida didn't notice? She seems like the type to have checked her things.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Looking back on it, one thing has become painfully clear: Kushida is a pretty crappy villain, especially when compared to the other focus characters of this season.

You talk about this as if it's a bad thing but honestly I think it makes her way more engaging. Having someone around who very much tries to be the same level of chessmaster as everyone else only to owned repeatedly because she just doesn't stack up is great. Can't wait for when she *does* manage to get one over on them, because I'm rooting for her.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Koenji is great. Some narcissists seek validation in harmful ways, but this guy is so into his head it literally doesn't matter to him if you acknowledge he exists or not. I'm sure his date partner is himself.

I think Ryuen is now on camera trying to kick someone in the face, but as he says, the school doesn't seem to care.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm happy we got those short scenes of Ayanokoji covering his ass by having both his teacher and the former student council president on hand as witnesses.

I don't really understand what that was about. They didn't go in to see what was happening, so they can't actually be witnesses to "they started it." They just have Ayanokoji's word, and that wasn't enough to get them to care in the first place (nor do we have any evidence they would care even if they did witness it). They're just standing outside in the rain instead of wherever they were before.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The only genuinely well put together part of this adaptation, honestly speaking (and it wasn't exactly perfect either, considering the characterization nuances for how the main character sees both people and the world in his own bubble; nonetheless, definitely very well executed for what it was).

I'm not a big fan of this series, as I do find it to be very pretentious and tropey (both for worse AND for better), but it's very clear the omission of the MC's monologuing in the novels makes for an experience much more dumbed down than what it should have otherwise been.
kanekisan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:34 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy we got those short scenes of Ayanokoji covering his ass by having both his teacher and the former student council president on hand as witnesses.

I don't really understand what that was about. They didn't go in to see what was happening, so they can't actually be witnesses to "they started it." They just have Ayanokoji's word, and that wasn't enough to get them to care in the first place (nor do we have any evidence they would care even if they did witness it). They're just standing outside in the rain instead of wherever they were before.

same here. Honestly, the main question it "what is it about" lol. I honestly think that the main idea of this anime is human relationship. I have even read more about that topic on https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/human-relations/ , found some free essays about it, and I can say that its quite interesting. I would really recommend that

Last edited by kanekisan on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:49 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling they would use the Ayanokoji-Sakayanagi confrontation as the ending stinger--it was the right decision--but I'm really disappointed at the way they handled it.

Sakayanagi's challenge in the LNs was both detail-oriented--"I've known you for 8 years and 243 days"--and more than a little obsessive, which went a long way to defining a previously underexposed character in a very short period of time.

And Ayanakoji's accompanying monologue after he challenges her to bury him is one of the most important in the series--he wants her to succeed, even as he doubts that she will be able to. That self-loathing is a key aspect of his character that really needed to be brought out here.

The confrontation needed more than the 60 seconds they gave it, and it shouldn't have been hard to find that time in the episode--the date was unnecessarily long.

This season hasn't been a particularly great adaptation, but they may have saved the worst slipup for last.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2