• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
2Old2Care wrote:
I'm sorry, but I do not find Ainz's excuse for executing genocide on decent people, just to make his friends happy entertaining.

Well 4 seasons in, this is not the show for you. It's basically a general plot of every fantasy genre against the invading hordes of undead, but told from the opposite point of view.

In any case, it makes enough sense from Ainz' perspective. As far as he is concerned, he's trapped in a videogame with fake CG AI people. Nobody may actually be dying and he continues to role play.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Kinda odd were getting comments like this on season 4. I mean isnt it obvious what to expect by now? Also whats wrong with enjoying fictional evil beings doing evil things? I've never once thought while watching I wish someone would challenge Ainz but rather look forward to the crazy antics and world domination.

I guess it's because early arcs tended to pit Ainz and his followers against people who were even more evil, which made it easier to root for them, and even when they found themselves fighting decent people, they'd usually spare their lives or resurrect them because they had some use for them.

That's why it was shocking to me when Ainz mercilessly and brutally killed those people who invaded the Tomb of Nazarick back in season 3, and I've tried adjusting my expectations ever since, but I'm still finding it very petty of him to annihilate an entire kingdom filled with innocent people just because of one nobleman who stupidly crossed him.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Kinda odd were getting comments like this on season 4. I mean isnt it obvious what to expect by now? Also whats wrong with enjoying fictional evil beings doing evil things? I've never once thought while watching I wish someone would challenge Ainz but rather look forward to the crazy antics and world domination.

I agree. Especially love the evil people getting their just desserts from even more evilier people.

Yes, the common people are getting toasted, but there wasn't that many good people (as characters) in the Kingdom. Think we can all guess that Princess Renner, besides not being all there, has been playing the long game with Nazarick since the beginning. What about the first son, the royal heir. Yeah, he was a piece of work. Took much enjoyment with the Red Caps getting to play with him
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I figured it was Pandora's actor from the conversation with Albedo at the beginning, but was so focused on the fight that I didn't put 2 and 2 together while watching to explain the odd way he was fighting. Even as a delay tactic though, I'm surprised Pandora would beg on the ground. You'd think he wouldn't want to tarnish Ainz's image.

It was odd that Pandora didn't have a world item. Ainz said he was giving one to each of his guardians just in case to make sure they didn't get mind controlled (or similar) again. Maybe he did have one but it wouldn't help getting out of the barrier, only in like with Albedo?

I agree with Richard, this episode certainly flew by (in a good way)

danpmss wrote:

It's way more obvious in the books, as you can gradually see Ainz slowly but surely losing more and more his humanity living as a Lych King heavily deprived of emotions because of his current body (while proceeding to hilariously conquest the world accidentally til the point he finally realizes his subordinates have been following their agenda based on what they though Ainz was talking about).

This is something that's most noticeable this season compared to the others (even the last one when you can say Nazarick wasn't being the aggressor in regards to the invasion), Ainz loss of humanity and evil actions have greatly ramped up. It was obvious the direction Ainz would go in as you watched, but I don't think the gradual fall was portrayed well in the anime.
2Old2Care

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I didn't like the concluion of season 3 at all. What a waste of lives.
Thankyou danpmss for adding some perspective that I was missing. It does seem that the story is about Ainz's decline of humanity and the battle of evil against greater evil. I'm still drawn in about how this will play out, but I will still down rate the episodes that go to such excessive means when relating to the killing of decent characters.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

danpmss wrote:

It's way more obvious in the books, as you can gradually see Ainz slowly but surely losing more and more his humanity living as a Lych King heavily deprived of emotions because of his current body (while proceeding to hilariously conquest the world accidentally til the point he finally realizes his subordinates have been following their agenda based on what they though Ainz was talking about).

This is something that's most noticeable this season compared to the others (even the last one when you can say Nazarick wasn't being the aggressor in regards to the invasion), Ainz loss of humanity and evil actions have greatly ramped up. It was obvious the direction Ainz would go in as you watched, but I don't think the gradual fall was portrayed well in the anime.

Very unfortunately, books 3-9 were notoriously poorly adapted. This is the first season to actually go with extra steps trying to follow the book's presentation and storytelling, and focusing in the utmost important conversations and details. Eps 1-9 from season 1 were pretty fine even then, definitely better than whatever we got afterwards til S4.

The first escalated shock should have been book 7 (S3), much like it was in the anime, but it's nowhere near as effective as the books, as they didn't get you into the invading adventurer's characterization nearly enough, nor gave you as much detail about the grim innerworks of Nazarick afterwards.

Then book 8 (the less I talk about how much it got wrong in execution, the better), and by the point the escalation goes up to book 9 with the SPLAT storyline (terribly toned down), you should have had more or less the same level of expectation for his further actions in the anime currently.

Unfortunately, book 12-13 also serve as further escalation of Nazarick's atrocities before the most grimdark they ever got so far (14 aka, this arc), and well, they were omitted from the anime in order to be adapted as movie(s), hopefully more than one. You only know background information about more or less what happened as of now (which honestly, was executed very well all things considered, this arc is getting a lot of effort put into the narrative to make up for the lack of context from the temporarily skipped content).

Last edited by danpmss on Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
2Old2Care wrote:
I'm sorry, but I do not find Ainz's excuse for executing genocide on decent people, just to make his friends happy entertaining.

Well 4 seasons in, this is not the show for you. It's basically a general plot of every fantasy genre against the invading hordes of undead, but told from the opposite point of view.

In any case, it makes enough sense from Ainz' perspective. As far as he is concerned, he's trapped in a videogame with fake CG AI people. Nobody may actually be dying and he continues to role play.

That is not the reason, people still get this confused, Ainz is not trapped in a game or the people are AI. Ainz nad The Guildbase were transported to a comepltely different alternate world entirely, this was made clear even in s1 that they are not in the game yygdrasil anymore and yet people still confuse this for it.

If u read the book you would know Ainz was never really that much different in his real life person than in his game person cause he came from a dystopia world were they were living in biodomes with a polluted world, children dead on streets was a common thing, the only real change was his emotions were somewhat repressed but his personality is their.

To be frank the kingdom had its downfall coming for a long time even before ainz showed up, it was a failed state and slane and empire both wanted it gone. I mean after all this time to have idiots like philip still attack a grain shipment from a powerful nation what else did u expect?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

If u read the book you would know Ainz was never really that much different in his real life person than in his game person cause he came from a dystopia world were they were living in biodomes with a polluted world, children dead on streets was a common thing, the only real change was his emotions were somewhat repressed but his personality is their.

Have to disagree on this point. Just because you come from a dystopian future, doesn't mean you are a truly evil person. Nothing in the light novels said anything other than he was an ordinary guy, much like our world's ordinary guys. Playing for a long time with a group of people makes him see less of sociopath than anything else.

Lot of people play evil characters, but that doesn't make them evil. But he is not in a game anymore, and the NPC's are not on paper anymore. I don't know what everyone expects out of Ainz. The gods made him an evil lich overlord in charge of a mostly evil Tomb, but that Tomb is home now and its denizens are his responsibility for better or worse.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
LOL the reviewer confused Aura for Mare. usually they confuse the gender not the actual twin Razz
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Have to disagree on this point. Just because you come from a dystopian future, doesn't mean you are a truly evil person. Nothing in the light novels said anything other than he was an ordinary guy, much like our world's ordinary guys. Playing for a long time with a group of people makes him see less of sociopath than anything else.

Lot of people play evil characters, but that doesn't make them evil. But he is not in a game anymore, and the NPC's are not on paper anymore. I don't know what everyone expects out of Ainz. The gods made him an evil lich overlord in charge of a mostly evil Tomb, but that Tomb is home now and its denizens are his responsibility for better or worse.

The fact that he only has like a 5th grade education probably doesn't do him many favors either.
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
We've not heard much mental backchat from salaryman Suzuki Satoru over the past couple of seasons of Overlord. What the New World has to deal with now is a full-fledged Demon King, an undead inhuman being intent on world domination and willing to slaughter anyone who stands in his way. This is quite a common story, in isekai and in other works of fiction, the rise of a Great Evil that blights the land. What's oddly entertaining about this story is that we've seen the rise of this Demon King from a beginning of sorts, from Suzuki Satoru's transmigration and we've come to empathise, at least in part, with both Ainz and his horrific close associates, the NPCs he regards as the "children" of his friends.

Arguing that Ainz is evil because he's not nice to human beings tends to ignore what he did to races like the Quagoa and we human beings were cheering him on. Non-humans are apparently fair game although what happened to the nearly-human-shaped ones like the lizardmen did give us some pause.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
What was with Cocytus's apparent walk around the block after the fight? I'm guessing it was supposed to honor him or something, but it's not anything I'm familiar with.

Actually, just re-watched it and it seems like he did that to walk around Brain rather than walk past him? Out of respect I presume.

It sure does show the difference in scale though (again). One fights with a weapon called 'god slaying emperor blade' and the other uses his technique called 'true nail clipper' lol. Too bad he couldn't use it against Shalltear
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
What was with Cocytus's apparent walk around the block after the fight? I'm guessing it was supposed to honor him or something, but it's not anything I'm familiar with.

Actually, just re-watched it and it seems like he did that to walk around Brain rather than walk past him? Out of respect I presume.

It sure does show the difference in scale though (again). One fights with a weapon called 'god slaying emperor blade' and the other uses his technique called 'true nail clipper' lol. Too bad he couldn't use it against Shalltear

Cocytus is the extremely chivalrous member of Nazarick, so it was out of respect. It's also why he chose to use a sword (and possibly why he chose a high stance, exposing his arms as an obvious weak point instead of taking a stance with no weak point at all) instead of simply blasting him with ice magic.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
LOL the reviewer confused Aura for Mare. usually they confuse the gender not the actual twin Razz

I totally swapped the names in my head while writing. Error has been fixed. Thanks.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
RIP, Brain. You went out on your feet, facing forward, sword in hand. Even Cocytus respected your determination, and he didn't know you beforehand.

I doubt Blue Rose will survive as a party after what happened, but maybe I'm wrong. Lakyus wasn't just betrayed, but she was mind-controlled by her own party. I can't imagine that there would be any trust left after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7