• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ah, so the "help" was not getting him back or fighting monsters, but just locating his party? It looked like she was doing that by sonar. Smile Also misleading (to me, at least) was the whalesong that appeared to be in response to her call because of the timing and her comment. Plus also too, "weaker" is a nebulous term here - weaker physically or mentally or in some other attribute? The Serpent's red eyes suggested to me that it was being controlled by her since it's mentally weaker than her, not that it couldn't be because it's physically stronger. Hence the confusion in my weaker mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm glad they cut out that other shit though. That sounds really stupid. Smile

Well that other "shit" flows far better in the full reading vs my truncated explanation Smile
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ah, so the "help" was not getting him back or fighting monsters, but just locating his party? It looked like she was doing that by sonar. Smile Also misleading (to me, at least) was the whalesong that appeared to be in response to her call because of the timing and her comment. Plus also too, "weaker" is a nebulous term here - weaker physically or mentally or in some other attribute? The Serpent's red eyes suggested to me that it was being controlled by her since it's mentally weaker than her, not that it couldn't be because it's physically stronger. Hence the confusion in my weaker mind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm glad they cut out that other shit though. That sounds really stupid. Smile

Well that other "shit" flows far better in the full reading vs my truncated explanation Smile

Yeah I try to avoid going into too much detail when explaining something to anime only people. Danmachi is known to skimp on and change stuff between adaptations
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Arc ended on a high note but part of me still wishes we had seen the POV of the Moss Huge especially when it dies cos I found it a little funny. The next ep is titled Rabbit Foot so it looks like we're finally getting a Denatus animated.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
Nice review as usual from Rebecca for this episode 5.
But I think the review doesn't appear on main page because the date is set to July 18th instead of August, i suppose.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:31 am Reply with quote
Something went wrong with the review upload; it appears before Episode 1's and never displayed on the main page.

Fantastic episode' the last four built up to this moment fully selling Bell as a fully-fledged adventurer. I love the part where Moss Man realizes that he needs to run but nope, no escape from Hestia Familia. It might've been nice to see more of Moss Man getting incinerated by Argo Vesta, but getting Bell at the end just like in the last volume 12 illustration was fantastic fanservice.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
For the anime-only fans in the room you would have gotten something similar to this if they had animated the Denatus all the way back in season 1
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed in how lazy the portrayal of the other gods at the Denatus was. I get that there would be some serious design costs behind portraying them as interesting and unique, given their number and how brief the scene was, so it's understandable, but seeing all these supposed gods portrayed with the stylish flair of "Villager C" right next to the actually-designed named characters was pretty jarring.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I love how Freya's back, not at all hiding how much Bell turns her on, and is trying to get him declared her husband.

From "Little Rookie" to "Rabbit's Foot." It fits!

Probably for the best Bell didn't talk about Marie within earshot of his other love interests.

Poor Lili is desperate to get some alone time with her beloved Bell but keeps being cut off...mostly by other women. But at least she got a nice moment with Bell in the end.

Ooh! Ryu intrigue!
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In any event, this Denatus may be Freya's first public declaration, but it's hardly her very first attempt to nab Bell's attention. She's definitely bears keeping an eye on.

For the anime-only fans out there. If the Denatus from season 1 had been animated you'd see thatspoiler[ Freya already hinted at her interest in Bell in public by actively defending Hestia against Loki when the latter demanded that the former reveal how Bell leveled up so quickly. Loki noticed this and later warned Hestia to be careful.]

Last edited by GhostD on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
More importantly, will Bell turn against her along with everyone else?

Yeah, that totally sounds like Bell Cranell's style. A fickle herd follower who counts the votes and avoids ruffling feathers at all costs.

Felt for Lili this episode. She's come such a long way from her first encounter with Bell. Some of that is him providing the security and encouragement required for growth, but a lot of it is her own hard work and determination to change. She's got the same resolve as he has.

Poor Bell too, to a degree. He doesn't particularly enjoy being famous, and finds saying no to people extremely difficult. It's made him a lot of friends, but its only going to cause him problems from here on out I think. He'd have rather spent the day with Lili I'm sure.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Honestly last week's episode made me feel upset. This arc was also supposed to let Lili shine and grow but... it didn't really? And it's all due to the power fantasy taking precedence over everything else.
She's being praised for her tactical choices, but while I don't know what better choices could have been made I do know that the Moss Huge outsmarted her and they were all about to die. Then she made that grand speech... but it was rendered pointless: whether she did that or cowered in fear or tried to run away on her own, it would all have been the same. It was not teamwork, nor Lili's intellect, or her pluck that saved the day. No, it was Bell Cranel making a heroic entrance just in time to solo the baddy (and next episode he has the gall to say that it was "a group effort").
I'm not saying that anyone other than Bell should be allowed to defeat the arc's main antagonist (although, you know, that would be cool), but at the very least I wanted Lili's most important choices being the reason why everyone makes it out alive.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
More importantly, will Bell turn against her along with everyone else? There's almost certainly a lot more to the story than we're getting.

Now...that's just jumping the Shark,as far as pretending you do not read,nor write reviews for, the source material. Smile
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:15 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Honestly last week's episode made me feel upset. This arc was also supposed to let Lili shine and grow but... it didn't really? And it's all due to the power fantasy taking precedence over everything else.

Depending on how far they animate, either this season or next you're going to get what you want. The LN has a whole chapter on Lili's exploits in the dungeon.

Apart from the Denatus at the beginning, this Episode was more of a slow-paced recap episode fit for a BD. Not great not terrible; but it set up the next arc quite well -- and that is bonkers.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:22 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Now...that's just jumping the Shark,as far as pretending you do not read,nor write reviews for, the source material. Smile

Laughing C'mon, can't I get stupidly creative sometimes?

(Yeah, should've gone with my first instinct to leave that out. Smile )
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Laughing C'mon, can't I get stupidly creative sometimes?

(Yeah, should've gone with my first instinct to leave that out. Smile )

You surely were,and are, creative Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15