• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Matsuri Licenses, Dubs 2 Anime Shorts From Nippon Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livin_large

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
And what about what Sean Chiplock and Marzgurl said?

Well, Rial doesn't seem to be following Chiplock on Twitter either but I'm not sure if she ever did to begin with so that might not be evident of anything. But given what I've seen I imagine anyone coming to Berry's defense is probably going to come under scrutiny. There appears to be a Six Degrees of Vic Mignogna situation where people have guilt by association and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of forgiveness for that. I'm not saying Berry's statement can't be true but in things like this it doesn't matter if something is true or false. If people perceive a slight against them then that's all that matters.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Well, Rial doesn't seem to be following Chiplock on Twitter either but I'm not sure if she ever did to begin with so that might not be evident of anything. But given what I've seen I imagine anyone coming to Berry's defense is probably going to come under scrutiny. There appears to be a Six Degrees of Vic Mignogna situation where people have guilt by association and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of forgiveness for that. I'm not saying Berry's statement can't be true but in things like this it doesn't matter if something is true or false. If people perceive a slight against them then that's all that matters.

Even if Monica privately feels more forgiving (not saying she does), publicly she has bet so hard on the #KickVic train that she can’t deviate from it in any way without giving the Vic defenders ammo.. Things have escalated to the point where she pretty much has to go scorched-earth on anyone with remotely possible Vic-sympathies especially since her partner keeps injecting himself into Twitter drama left and right like a complete imbecile.

The idea that she would cut off ties with people she’s worked with for decades like Cynthia Cranz and Linda Young for being part of a small project with Vic, when it’s quite possible that they didn’t know what they were signing up for, is a less than ideal portrait of her. The implied threat that she deleted (I’m sorry Lynzee that tweet was a thinly veiled threat if I ever saw one) also shows she’s vindictive enough to attempt to outright destroy careers over this. Monica has a large fanbase and enough pull in the industry that she can definitely curtail opportunities for anyone she doesn’t like; or at least make their careers a living hell. Morgan Berry’s panicked response was due to harassment she was getting from Monica’s followers after all.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:25 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that, while what Morgan said may be true, it's also true that she's a guest at Anime Matsuri this weekend, and it isn't the first time she's been there. Anime Matsuri's reputation isn't a secret. There's a reason why no industry goes there, not even the industry that even works and resides in the same city. Anime Matsuri chooses to keep re-inviting Vic as a guest, as well as inviting the alt-right YouTubers who directly profited off of making women's lives miserable throughout his lawsuit. I honestly think it's little wonder that at least in this one case someone would be hesitant about trying to get answers about how the recording went when attending the convention on more than one occasion was also a choice they made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
People expressing their disappointment and discomfort with these VAs being involved with Vic is not "harassment" in any way and it's pretty disingenuous for Vic stans in this thread to portray it as such, especially given the thing Vic was fired from the industry for was actual harassment of women. A quick search of these VAs' Twitter pages shows nobody has been "harassing" these VAs over the Vic thing. Like Linda Young is still tweeting about con appearances and her fan support and a quick look through the replies shows nobody bringing up the Vic thing at all. Unless these VAs come forward to say they've actually been harassed by fans for being involved with the Vic project, this complaining calling any criticism = harassment is all just concern trolling designed to shut down any legitimate issues people have with this.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'd love to be excited about Tiffany Vollmer's return to anime dubbing, but yikes. In her case, she may have little-to-no knowledge about Vic's past controversy since she's so far outside the anime dubbing circle. Hopefully she at least turns up in a different, completely unrelated project.

SERIOUSLY. Tiffany Vollmer returning to anime would be totally awesome... if it was in anything other than this. Why this, of all things? Maybe she wanted to ease herself back into anime by starting small? I sure hope so, because this is not a great look, no matter the circumstances.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:44 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
The unfortunate thing is that, while what Morgan said may be true, it's also true that she's a guest at Anime Matsuri this weekend, and it isn't the first time she's been there. Anime Matsuri's reputation isn't a secret. There's a reason why no industry goes there, not even the industry that even works and resides in the same city. Anime Matsuri chooses to keep re-inviting Vic as a guest, as well as inviting the alt-right YouTubers who directly profited off of making women's lives miserable throughout his lawsuit. I honestly think it's little wonder that at least in this one case someone would be hesitant about trying to get answers about how the recording went when attending the convention on more than one occasion was also a choice they made.

I don't think she needs your approval to go to a convention. Nor does anyone else for that matter. The fact you claim to be concerned over other making people miserable while trying to gatekeep which people can go to which conventions and actively spending your weekend live-tweeting a convention you're not even going to posting pictures of attendees at the convention to make fun of them and invite harassment towards them is astounding.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:

I don't think she needs your approval to go to a convention. Nor does anyone else for that matter. The fact you claim to be concerned over other making people miserable while trying to gatekeep which people can go to which conventions and actively spending your weekend live-tweeting a convention you're not even going to posting pictures of attendees at the convention to make fun of them and invite harassment towards them is astounding.

Oh, she can go wherever she pleases, and people are allowed to formulate opinions based on the things other people do. I'm not out here trying to stop her. I'm out here saying, "Well, judge how you're gonna judge based on their actions."

I lived in Texas almost all my life. I ALREADY went to about a half a dozen Anime Matsuri events, including the first several years it existed. I'm not speaking from ignorance. I'm speaking from direct personal experience, as a former volunteer, and as someone who has directly and personally interacted with John Leigh. Don't act like you know me, the people involved in the event, OR the event itself better than I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure she got blind casted, she mentioned something like that happening with Food Wars!. She turned up, Vic was there, she did her lines, got paid and went home. Adrien Brody was awarded an Oscar when he knowingly did this, so maybe we should just leave well enough alone.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Do you not think people should be aware of what they're spending time and money on for an event that's scammed a lot of people? I like knowing if I'm about to be scammed by something. Why don't you?
Miami Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'd love to be excited about Tiffany Vollmer's return to anime dubbing, but yikes. In her case, she may have little-to-no knowledge about Vic's past controversy since she's so far outside the anime dubbing circle. Hopefully she at least turns up in a different, completely unrelated project.

I think it's precisely because people like Vollmer aren't that active in the voice acting industry anymore that they have to freedom to do this. Just in this thread alone you got people being gross and trying to manipulate and control these women for interacting with him which is super creepy. I find it hard to doubt they would be living in a hole and not know what Vic went through considering a lot of them worked with him for decades. I'd say the more likely explination is they've simply decided to not cut ties with him over allegations from 3 years ago. Unlike other VAs still active in the industry, they don't have to worry about being blacklisted for making enemies with a powerful VA or company. That's not their thing anymore so there's no real way to intimidate them into submission.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Miami Mike wrote:
Just in this thread alone you got people being gross and trying to manipulate and control these women for interacting with him which is super creepy.
Literally no one is doing this.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Miami Mike wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I think it's precisely because people like Vollmer aren't that active in the voice acting industry anymore that they have to freedom to do this. Just in this thread alone you got people being gross and trying to manipulate and control these women for interacting with him which is super creepy. I find it hard to doubt they would be living in a hole and not know what Vic went through considering a lot of them worked with him for decades. I'd say the more likely explination is they've simply decided to not cut ties with him over allegations from 3 years ago. Unlike other VAs still active in the industry, they don't have to worry about being blacklisted for making enemies with a powerful VA or company. That's not their thing anymore so there's no real way to intimidate them into submission.

Bro, slow your roll. Nobody is trying to manipulate anybody. We are 100% allowed to make our own choices about both the media we consume and the events we attend when we are given news about what the people involved are choosing to do. If they gotta do what they gotta do, let 'em. We have an EQUAL amount of freedom to make our own decisions based on what we see.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You obviously haven't seen the zeal of Mignogna's supporters in their unyielding harassment of Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, and other Funimation staff or their supporters. They've turned a shady convention into an all-out alt-right hangout and YouTube into their mouthpiece to spread their hate.

Fact is, Mignogna is a predator and his supporters are in the same vein. He's been victimizing people for over a decade.

Okay. I'll bite. What makes Vic Mignogna and his friends "alt-right", exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times now. Please tell me they invited Richard Spencer as a guest at Anime Matsuri at least and it's not just another "this guy said Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie" sort of thing like people did with the Angry Video Game Nerd.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:44 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You obviously haven't seen the zeal of Mignogna's supporters in their unyielding harassment of Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi, and other Funimation staff or their supporters. They've turned a shady convention into an all-out alt-right hangout and YouTube into their mouthpiece to spread their hate.

Fact is, Mignogna is a predator and his supporters are in the same vein. He's been victimizing people for over a decade.

Okay. I'll bite. What makes Vic Mignogna and his friends "alt-right", exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times now. Please tell me they invited Richard Spencer as a guest at Anime Matsuri at least and it's not just another "this guy said Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie" sort of thing like people did with the Angry Video Game Nerd.

No, we're talking people who are actually part of the alt-right pipeline. Feel free to view the guest list yourself.
https://2022.animematsuri.com/speaker-list-dark/

Multiple Comicsgate/Fandom Menace YouTubers, people who've very directly said that minorities and women do not belong in comics and Star Wars and that everything under the sun constitutes as "going woke", two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit... like, it's already weird to have lawyers be actual guests of honor at an anime convention, but TWO is even more strange. The Angry Video Game Nerd having a random opinion people didn't agree with about Ghostbusters 2016 one time is absolutely nothing compared to the hate machine these particular guests generate.
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The only way Vic, known and admitted sexual predator, could return to voice acting is by another known and admitted sexual predator creating a job for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8