• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Matsuri Licenses, Dubs 2 Anime Shorts From Nippon Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:
No, we're talking people who are actually part of the alt-right pipeline. Feel free to view the guest list yourself.
https://2022.animematsuri.com/speaker-list-dark/

Multiple Comicsgate/Fandom Menace YouTubers, people who've very directly said that minorities and women do not belong in comics and Star Wars and that everything under the sun constitutes as "going woke", two YouTube lawyers who milked the Depp/Heard lawsuit... like, it's already weird to have lawyers be actual guests of honor at an anime convention, but TWO is even more strange. The Angry Video Game Nerd having a random opinion people didn't agree with about Ghostbusters 2016 one time is absolutely nothing compared to the hate machine these particular guests generate..

I'm genuinely not seeing the issue here. If your entire reasoning for calling someone alt-right is because they hate woke media then that's a lot of people in the anime community. That's a pretty commonly held viewpoint here as well in a lot of talkback threads when the topic comes up like High Guardian Spice and Crunchyroll Originals threads. Myself include, for the record. I guess you'd call me alt-right as well for not liking that stuff?

Why are they at an anime convention? The same reason Anime Expo had Twitch streamers and YouTubers like Pokimane and DisguisedToast, or other conventions invite YouTube comedians like King Vader. Because anime conventions aren't actually about anime in the end, just nerd gatherings.. They weren't when My Little Pony was a huge fad back in the 2010s, or Homestuck back int he 2000s and those two properties dominated conventions. There's plenty of non-anime stuff at anime conventions and it's been that way for a long time. I don't see the issue outside you disagreeing with their opinions here. If people can survive a convention having a feminist panel, I think people can deal with a panel from a girl who thinks The Last Jedi is a bad movie.

This is not just people who think The Last Jedi is a bad movie. These are people who fundamentally believe that women, LGBT, and minorities do not belong in their franchises. You know all this, I don't know why this conversation is even happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:

I'm genuinely not seeing the issue here. If your entire reasoning for calling someone alt-right is because they hate woke media then that's a lot of people in the anime community. That's a pretty commonly held viewpoint here as well in a lot of talkback threads when the topic comes up like High Guardian Spice and Crunchyroll Originals threads. Myself include, for the record. I guess you'd call me alt-right as well for not liking that stuff?

"Woke media" isn't a thing that exists. It's an absurd boogeyman made up by those who are upset that their regressive views aren't considered acceptable anymore. On the plus side, when I see someone use that term, I know that I can safely ignore any and all of their other opinions.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So the big premiere of these shorts came and went last night, annnnnnnnnnd nobody's talking about them.

I saw a picture of the room they used; it wasn't even half full of people. Apparently more people went to Rekieta's panel than to the dubbed anime AM went out of their way to promote.

I'm starting to think this dubbing studio isn't going to be as lucrative as Vic McNuggets hopes it is. Laughing

I wonder how much of the point is profit and how much is seen as a culture war issue. As if holding him accountable is a personal affront to certain people. I saw a picture of someone going around AM with a shirt that makes reference to Ron Toye. Who, aside from those super invested or super informed about the details of McEggnog’s quixotic lawsuit, knows who he is? Who is that shirt even for?
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The fact no one on social media is talking about these two after they premiered is hilarious and a sign of how this new "business" is going to tank.

Also, it's telling how many defends have come up in the forums being the ideal bad anime fan.

Last edited by camseyeview140 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
"Woke media" isn't a thing that exists. It's an absurd boogeyman made up by those who are upset that their regressive views aren't considered acceptable anymore..

You're explaining that it exists in this post though so it has to exist. I agree that certain things aren't allowed in American media anymore, but they're still allowed in Japan. I generally don't consume any American media anymore precisely because of that kind of change. If my "regressive views" are only accepted in Japanese media, then I suppose that's where my attention will remain.

But I think what you and other people forget is that most anime fans align with these kinds of regressive views. Surely no one can expect the average anime fan to be shocked about a YouTuber complaining about forced diversity in comic books or Star Wars when every time a new Hollywood live-action anime adaption is cast we see the community by and large complaining about the casting. Anytime we see people trying to ask for more diverse representation in anime people are right there dunking on them and pushing back against it. The only difference is anime fans are backed up by the creators who always share those views rather than being condemend by corporations. While the official Twitter account for Star Wars might preach "Star Wars Is For Everyone", we hear about companies like Shueisha saying women wishing to enter into a male-targetted medium must be willing to understand the male audience. When DC and Marvel call people incels and chuds for complaining about the lack of sexy women in comics, you have mangaka releasing swimsuit photospreads and talking about how they love to draw boobs. I think anime fans are perfectly happy with their "regressive views" at the end of the day.. If I would agree on one thing, it's that people hoping for American media to go back to the good old days are going to be disappointed in the end. There is no putting that genie back in the bottle. These franchises are never going to go back to how they were 10-20 years ago. I would recommend they make the switch to anime and manga and enjoy what Japan has to offer instead.
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Awesome.. The western side of the industry can desperately use some more and new players at this point. Especially in translation and dubs.

Agreed. It's never a good thing to let monopolies pile up and try to control everything. Especially when there's a lot of bad players out there meddling in the distribution and censorship of titles. It's also nice to see some names I haven't seen in quite awhile. Seems to be a decent chunk of old pre-Kai Dragonball alumni which I haven't heard from in a spell. Glad to see they're not entirely retired yet.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

You're explaining that it exists in this post though so it has to exist.
Please educate yourself about the origins of the term "woke" in African American vernacular before you start ranting about things you don't understand.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

You're explaining that it exists in this post though so it has to exist. I agree that certain things aren't allowed in American media anymore, but they're still allowed in Japan. I generally don't consume any American media anymore precisely because of that kind of change. If my "regressive views" are only accepted in Japanese media, then I suppose that's where my attention will remain.

I have no idea how anything you said here is related to the topic at hand, because no one was talking about what is or isn't considered appropriate content in a series. This has nothing to do with how many boobs are in your favorite manga. And I don't know who these "most anime fans" are, but the ones I know aren't like that. Maybe you just need to hang out with better people?
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

But I think what you and other people forget is that most anime fans align with these kinds of regressive views. Surely no one can expect the average anime fan to be shocked about a YouTuber complaining about forced diversity in comic books or Star Wars when every time a new Hollywood live-action anime adaption is cast we see the community by and large complaining about the casting. Anytime we see people trying to ask for more diverse representation in anime people are right there dunking on them and pushing back against it. The only difference is anime fans are backed up by the creators who always share those views rather than being condemend by corporations. While the official Twitter account for Star Wars might preach "Star Wars Is For Everyone", we hear about companies like Shueisha saying women wishing to enter into a male-targetted medium must be willing to understand the male audience. When DC and Marvel call people incels and chuds for complaining about the lack of sexy women in comics, you have mangaka releasing swimsuit photospreads and talking about how they love to draw boobs. I think anime fans are perfectly happy with their "regressive views" at the end of the day.. If I would agree on one thing, it's that people hoping for American media to go back to the good old days are going to be disappointed in the end. There is no putting that genie back in the bottle. These franchises are never going to go back to how they were 10-20 years ago. I would recommend they make the switch to anime and manga and enjoy what Japan has to offer instead.

??? You do realize Shueisha received backlash for making that sort of comment FROM Japanese manga artists? And the entire context of them making that statement is because they weren't hiring female editors for their shonen manga team, with Soichi Aida even stating he would never hire women as editors? And that the statement about "understanding" Japanese men was an attempt to save face about that situation without guaranteeing women could be hired at all? It's really strange you would state that anime fans are "perfectly happy" with how things are when the article states the opposite. What's your point?

Japan also deals with similar problems regarding programming about their minorities (Korean and Chinese)... not sure if you paid attention to Japanese media in the early 2010s, but a lot of conservatives got annoyed with K-dramas being everywhere when the Korean wave hit. This is also leaving out the fact that Japan does practice a lot of what people complain about for American localization. Plenty of times when they've had to localize/serialize Korean or Chinese manga (i.e. Cheese in the Trap), they've changed settings and characters to Japanese (they never do that for American/European content for some reason). There was also an attempt to bring Korean webtoons over to Japan but publishers were afraid they wouldn't sell. There are plenty of Koreans and Chinese people who work as manga artists in Japan, but you wouldn't know that because the majority of them use Japanese pen names or Japanese pronunciations of their names.

All I'm saying is your statements clearly show a surface view of how Japanese anime fans and creators think. It's not that they're happy with "regressive" views; it's just that the higher ups (publishing companies) won't let them try something different. And Japan has that strong "shikata ga nai" mentality where they ultimately decide not to pursue things further because they feel they have no power to change them, and because Japanese society discourages speaking out against their superiors.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
"Woke media" isn't a thing that exists

Does "woke" not mean political correctness? From what I have seen it seems like most American franchises is trying to do that by changing sexes and ethnicities around so I think that's an untrue statement you posted and it is a thing that exists.

Ming Yi wrote:
There are plenty of Koreans and Chinese people who work as manga artists in Japan, but you wouldn't know that because the majority of them use Japanese pen names or Japanese pronunciations of their names.

I am sure people are aware of great artists like Boichi and Yu Kamiya but the people who hate them aren't Japanese people who dislike Koreans and Chinese. It's feminists and other progressives who hate the way they draw. When Oda showed off those pages Boichi drew of Nami and Kalifa there was a lot of nasty comments calling him sexist. But foreign artists working in the industry does not mean they're forcing every manga to have foreign characters and replace existing characters with foreign ones. They love manga the way it is. No attempts at censoring or changing it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:

Does "woke" not mean political correctness?
No https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke#20th_century
Quote:
Black American folk singer-songwriter Huddie Ledbetter, a.k.a. Lead Belly, uses the phrase near the end of the recording of his 1938 song "Scottsboro Boys", which tells the story of nine black teenagers accused of raping two white women, saying: "I advise everybody, be a little careful when they go along through there – best stay woke, keep their eyes open."[9][10] Aja Romano writes at Vox that this represents "Black Americans' need to be aware of racially motivated threats and the potential dangers of white America".[4] J. Saunders Redding recorded a comment from an African American United Mine Workers official in 1940, stating: "Let me tell you buddy. Waking up is a damn sight harder than going to sleep, but we'll stay woke up longer."[11]

By the mid-20th century, woke had come to mean "well-informed" or "aware",[12] especially in a political or cultural sense.[6] The Oxford English Dictionary traces the earliest such usage to a 1962 New York Times Magazine article titled "If You're Woke You Dig It" by African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley, describing the appropriation of Black slang by white beatniks.[6]
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:36 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
I am sure people are aware of great artists like Boichi and Yu Kamiya but the people who hate them aren't Japanese people who dislike Koreans and Chinese. It's feminists and other progressives who hate the way they draw. When Oda showed off those pages Boichi drew of Nami and Kalifa there was a lot of nasty comments calling him sexist. But foreign artists working in the industry does not mean they're forcing every manga to have foreign characters and replace existing characters with foreign ones. They love manga the way it is. No attempts at censoring or changing it.

Hmmm... you should read more comments from Japanese people then.

As I've previously mentioned, Japanese publishing companies change Korean or Chinese works when they republish them in Japanese by changing all the characters into Japanese. Not to mention manga artists are reluctant introduce such characters into manga because their editors don't think they'd sell and they'd be unpopular with Japanese otaku, who don't want their manga to be "poisoned" by them. Sound familiar?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:07 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:

Does "woke" not mean political correctness? From what I have seen it seems like most American franchises is trying to do that by changing sexes and ethnicities around so I think that's an untrue statement you posted and it is a thing that exists.

Cardcaptor Takato already posted the historical roots of the term, but if you're referring to its recent pejorative usage, it's basically a synonym for "Anything that makes me uncomfortable and that I don't like." In that usage, it's essentially meaningless.

And oh yes, the great plague of popular entertainment daring to *checks notes* acknowledge that there are more types of people out there than white dudes. Truly we live in the end times.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:24 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I have no idea how anything you said here is related to the topic at hand, because no one was talking about what is or isn't considered appropriate content in a series. This has nothing to do with how many boobs are in your favorite manga. And I don't know who these "most anime fans" are, but the ones I know aren't like that. Maybe you just need to hang out with better people?

I'm not sure why there's confusion. You said people who complain about "woke media" are just people upset their regressive views are no longer accepted in society. So I just pointed out all those regressive views are still perfectly accepted in anime. All the concern over some YouTubers being at Anime Matsuri seemed silly to me given the kind of content we consume. Someone making a video on not liking forced diversity in the new Lord of the Rings show probably isn't as offensive as the fact half the very few black characters that do show up in anime are drawn as stereotypical caricatures. If even more popular YouTubers like Hololive Vtubers can go into excruciatingly sexual detail on their love for loli and admitting to things that would get them arrested in some countries and still get to hold events at anime conventions then we're probably fine.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:43 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
the fact half the very few black characters that do show up in anime are drawn as stereotypical caricatures.

Which modern black characters do you consider stereotypical caricatures vs those who are simply designed to be recognizably black? I admit that I haven't watched every series that's come out every year but I don't remember seeing any major outrage on social media over racist designs, so I'm genuinely curious if I've just managed to miss some pertinent drama on the Twitter?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8