• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Alternative Anime Season 2's 1st Video Reveals October 5 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
This anime adaptation was very disappointing to say the least. I wonder if season 2 will improve.
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is 10 years older and is better created than this cheap cash grab.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm really not sure how season 2 is going to go over. This is the point where the source material really takes off --- last year I tweeted the old reddit "Muv-Luv Awesomeness/Sadness" chart to ANN reviewer Chris Farris with the arc names de-spoilered to make this point --- but the anime hasn't given me much confidence that it will handle this material well. The anime comes off to me as indifferent and uninsightful, which is going to be a problem when its asked to do a heavy lift like spoiler[portraying Takeru's descent into PTSD].
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
This anime adaptation was very disappointing to say the least. I wonder if season 2 will improve.
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse is 10 years older and is better created than this cheap cash grab.

Yuuya Bridges is the man (also, I miss Yui).
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
The next story arc is probably like the most important and impactful in the whole story. They could easily spend at least an entire cour on it (and probably should). Though by skipping Unlimited and Extra, and rushing through story content in the first season, the necessary groundwork to make that story arc really work hasn't been laid. There's no hope for this one.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I for one am pretty optimistic. I actually liked the first season and I think they did the absolute best with the cards they were dealt: clearly the budget was not particularly high, but they prioritized really good mech animation and with that number of episodes, they just had to make choices about what to cut, and I think cutting most of the Unlimited retread was the best possible choice they had available. They even produced some honest to God great episodes like the mock battle and the coup arc in general, even utilizing elements from the manga.

The truth is Muv-Luv's structure in itself does it no favors. The VN has a lengthy slice-of-life start only to then turn into a military isekai setting that does not even feature actual battles against the aliens and have more slice-of-life. After this tremendous build-up into Alternative, there's then a retread of what happened in Unlimited, another full arc that still doesn't involve the story's main estabilished threat, to THEN actually "start for reals this time I swear". Can you imagine a production company greenlighting a project nowadays that would require, at the very least, 50-something episodes, about a third (or more) of which is just the build-up to the actual bombastic tale that would require a cross between rom-com harem fans and gritty mecha fans for a franchise that's not even that famous nowadays? It would be one hell of a risk.

This anime is an attempt to revitalize the franchise into relevance, and Avex wasn't willing to invest on a full adaptation, so Alternative, the actual part everyone calls as masterpiece, is what we got.
While the anime adaptation so far is certainly not ideal (especially to grab newcomers without the full context), I also think it was far, far from incompetent. Now that they are finally past the "boring" part of the story they just had to get through, they can get to the good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1