• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I wanna take the reveal of Mount Lady's scar to mention how HeroAca uses scars.

Scars in this series are kinda like a mark, both as a medal of honor or representation of a trauma, representing a pivotal moment of character development both good and bad ways.

- Stain got his scar after realizing he would become the hero killer.
- Shigaraki got the scar the day he killed his family.
- AFO y All Might got theirs during their battle 5 years ago.
- Kirishima got his the first day he awakened his powers, making him scared of them.
- Todoroki got his scar by being burned by his mother and swearing he would never be like his father.
- Twice got his scar after a group of his clones killed each other in front of him traumatizing him.
- Deku got his scar both during Todoroki and Muscular fights, making him realice he couldn't keep fighting like that.
- Ida got his scar during the fight with Stain and realizing he was going after vengeance and not justice.
- Endeavor gets his during the fight against the high end Nomu.
- Hawks gets his during his fight against Dabi.
- Toga got his scars during the fight with Curious which fully awakened her powers, she erased them with plastic surgery though.
- Mr. Compress destroyed himself to save Shigaraki.

Now, Mount Lady loses the battle against Gigantomaquia and thousands of lives were destroyed and earns her scar by refusing to give up like Death Arms.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I found the latest episode super poignant; maybe I'm just feeling maudlin today, but I actively teared up a bit. First episode of this season I think fully lived up to this arc's hype (not that prior episodes were bad -- the Nagant fight was well done -- but I just don't think they were as effective thematically and emotionally as Deku v. 1A).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Cultural note: if you don't get what is going on with 13's eyes: they are supposed to be black holes seen sideways.

Funfact: the manga chapter where Mineta talks to Deku trended because occidental fans interpreted his words as a love declaration and considered that he was now bi.

So twitter got full with people both being mad because the bi character was... well, Mineta, and fujoshis loving the ship because that's what fujoshis do.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
It feels like a long-time since since I've heard "You Say Run", they chose a perfect time to play it. Out of all the characters in the show, Bakugos story has certainly had the most pay off. I do like how a lot of it happened during Dekus low point, it works as a nice counterbalance.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
bakugos apologize did more good to bakugo than it did to deku.[/quote]
StarDango

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
What I love about the climax of this confrontation is that it makes sense why it has to be Iida who gets Deku to stop and listen.

As the reviewing mentioned, Deku was the one who stopped Iida from potentially ruining himself by going after Stain. And ever since then, it has been Iida who brought in logic whenever Deku needed it. The most important was when Deku and Kirishima were risking a lot to save Bakugou.

It couldn’t have been Bakugou or Ochako who reached out to Deku first. Yes, their relationship with Deku gets more spotlight than his friendship with Iida (sadly, due to Iida losing his presence in the story.)

But in this confrontation, Deku is being burdened by his emotions and guilt. He needs Iida first because it’s Iida who can always get Deku to listen to reason. Iida won’t let him get caught up in his sense of heroism and pride (Bakugou) or in his care and affection (Ochako.)

It’s also worth noting that Iida grabbed Deku with his left arm. That’s the arm that got damaged by Stain. A reminder of Iida’s biggest mistake is now being used to save one of his best friends.

Following Iida grabbing his hand and Bakugou’s apology is a whole episode dedicated to what Ochako will be doing for him (one of my favorite chapters). I love that it’s the 3 characters who had the most impact on Deku when he started his Academia journey. I’m so hyped for Ochako’s upcoming moment.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird to have Mr. "people who accept Endeavor's apology are the worst kind of fans" get all maudlin about immediately accepting Bakugo's. Endeavor's is a more complicated story arc, of course, both because he was an adult, and committed gross sins in the name of adult goals instead of just being a bully, and actually faced consequences for it. Bakugo is a kid, and his relentless bullying nature is treated as a foible like Mineta's.
I could certainly understand anyone who doesn't want to forgive Bakugo, even if Izuku does, for the same reason as people might not like Mineta or Endeavor.

(The people who can't possibly see both sides of these complicated issues of human relations and are so certain in their moral self righteousness, with absolutist beliefs about each case, like our dear reviewer, are fairly typical, though.)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Did Nicholas (reviewer) comment on whether Bakugo's apology should be accepted and/or seen as absolving him? I don't remember that from the review.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Did Nicholas (reviewer) comment on whether Bakugo's apology should be accepted and/or seen as absolving him? I don't remember that from the review.

He might be referring to if the reviewer at any point said or implied that forgiving Endeavor was inherently wrong or problematic and point the hypocrisy for Bakugo.

But as mentioned...one is a teenager is still growing and learning, the other is a fully grown adult who should know better. Its also a case of magnitude; Bakugo's actions only really affected one person and even then, said person never held a grudge about it. Endeavor's actions had far damaging consequences to those around him.

Its not really comparable at all, its the definition of a false equivalence.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, mm -- I think there are some similarities worth remarking upon (both have been vile and destructive to people around them; and both struggle tremendously with feelings of both superiority and inferiority; I suppose this is in the exact ways you'd expect, given Bakugo is the closest thing to Deku's Endeavor, heroically speaking, Todoroki seeming to have been pushed to a somewhat distant third), but also huge differences (one is an adult, and not in any sense a vulnerable person; the other is a bratty kid; one was partially responsible for his wife's long-term hospitalization and the lifelong scarring of one of their children (and maybe some significant blame for Dabi's supervillainy falls on him, too?); the other has been kind of a dick and made Deku's childhood -- and probably other peoples' childhoods -- suck).

I am not sure if the differences quite make me think the show has treated Bakugo's behavior as harshly as it should, but I also don't think the bar is as high for Bakugo as it is for Endeavor. And, maybe more importantly, I don't think the latest episode implied Bakugo has been completely absolved of responsibility for his behavior; I don't think the episode was about him very much at all, really. It was about Deku, and the people connected to him saving him from himself, and it did a damned good job of that, IMO. Deku looked so utterly broken by his own behavior; the kid was a damned mess, and it felt great to see all of his friends reach him in exactly the way they each needed to reach out.

I may also be kind've affected by anime being so clumsy with these kinds of deep male-male rivalry friendships (Naruto/Sasuke was way goofier and less compelling than this portrayal), too. The bar's not super high, and I think MHA jumped well over it, in this specific instance.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
10/10 adaptation, my only complain would be that Punished Deku wasn't as intimidating as in the manga.

The scene of the last person who All Might saved being the one who gave him hope is one of my favorite full circle history telling ever.

The fact that a writer has the guts to destroy his own premise in order to replace it with a better one while writing weekly and drawing the thing and pulling it so flawlessly is something everyone who wants to write should study.

Congratulations to Bones.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not counting many stars there, so maybe just "Stripes" suits our new American friend better?

Man, I really need to catch up on MHA. I'm a good 40 eps behind y'all.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
The fact that a writer has the guts to destroy his own premise in order to replace it with a better one while writing weekly and drawing the thing and pulling it so flawlessly is something everyone who wants to write should study.

There are certainly a lot of issues with the serialized format, but it also has a kind of malleability that most other forms lack entirely. I can thinking of several series that have been entirely reworked, almost from the ground-up, mid-serialization, almost always for the better.

For all the pitfalls of the process, it's really cool how reactive and changeable manga can be -- sometimes we'll see a half dozen different takes on what a series might turn into just in the first six chapters.

I especially love the manga that just decide to change entire genres midway through, even when they're already successful, just because that's what the writer/artist really wanted to do (and had probably been arguing with their editor about for year years prior).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9