• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catone2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Taguchi and the rest of the staff at Pierrot this time really understand Bleach and Kubo's vision for it. It's all there in the direction, episode titles, and down to the poems and previews. The already additional scenes have been a welcome addition and even the rearranged ones have been fantastic. Can't wait for Quilge vs Ichigo and whatever else they add.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Definitely would've rather had Byakuya's eulogy than Yhwach and pals moving comically slowly in Hueco Mundo.

and who is that guy!? never heard of that name which should not be a surprise to some since there are people who DID indeed dropped the manga after the disaster that was the xcution arc and never looked back!

also it seems that kubo really likes using the same faces for multiple character like if its fate stay night/fate grand order!

i mean think about it! first there was the burn the witch one off series where that guy who had the renji face , ninny who was basically looks like that girl whose loyal to halibel and of course the main girl whose a mash up of ichigo and the vizord shorty!

and it look like he didn't change his art style in this arc for he used a renji face again for one of the un named quincies in EP 2 and he even have the quincy king look like he's an evil version of zangestu!

he sould consider changing his art style and not use the same ones so often! otherwise people propbably would have given burn the wich more fan fare and in turn give kubo the motivation to make it into an actual bleach spinoff series about the central branch of the soul society!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
also it seems that kubo really likes using the same faces for multiple character like if its fate stay night/fate grand order!

i mean think about it! first there was the burn the witch one off series where that guy who had the renji face , ninny who was basically looks like that girl whose loyal to halibel and of course the main girl whose a mash up of ichigo and the vizord shorty!

and it look like he didn't change his art style in this arc for he used a renji face again for one of the un named quincies in EP 2 and he even have the quincy king look like he's an evil version of zangestu!

Is this...um...is this your first time seeing a creator do more than one work? Because it's ridiculously common for them to re-use their old designs. Look at Fairy Tail or Edens Zero, for example, which imported character designs and names wholesale. Or look at how many times Akira Toriyama uses the same faces and hairstyles between Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest. Even MHA has characters and design elements taken from Horikoshi's previous works.

Quote:
he sould consider changing his art style and not use the same ones so often! otherwise people propbably would have given burn the wich more fan fare and in turn give kubo the motivation to make it into an actual bleach spinoff series about the central branch of the soul society!

His art style? You mean the one thing he's pretty consistently praised for is the thing he should change?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The exposition has been pretty heavy-handed/out of place, both with the power-explanation mid-fight here, and with Nel's blathering to refresh the audience's memory last episode. Despite this, they're still going through the material at a very nice pace. The luminescent blues for the Quicy powers are very eye-catching, and I'm excited for more.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it was around this time Kubo became a meme full force.

No really, a real meme, it was called "Kubo Troll" and it actually began at the end of the Arrancar Arc, but it was around this time everybody was making them.

Don't look for it if you are watching the final arc for the first time, it's full of spoilers obviously since it's people taking pages from the manga and making jokes with how bad they were.

Not spoilerish example:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/149/713/fb8.jpg
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Koichi Yamadera having the time of his life as Quilge here.

The visuals and action continue to be top-notch. Ayon beating the @#$% out of Quilge was so satisfying. As was the Sternritter entrances.

Wow, Mayuri just casually admitting to erasing a bunch of people for the sake of balance.

Poor Kira...
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The exposition has been pretty heavy-handed/out of place, both with the power-explanation mid-fight here, and with Nel's blathering to refresh the audience's memory last episode. Despite this, they're still going through the material at a very nice pace. The luminescent blues for the Quicy powers are very eye-catching, and I'm excited for more.

I feel like Bleach has always been too heavy handed with explaining itself and that could get annoying. Otherwise. This episode was great. Things feel like they are moving fast
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

I feel like Bleach has always been too heavy handed with explaining itself and that could get annoying.

I gotta mostly agree here with that. Now granted, it's not as bad as some other shonen titles, but it's hardly out of place in the new material now. I don't think it gets too annoying though. Certainly not enough to overshadow the outstanding animation and, so far, solid adaptation/story pace.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh sick, we get remixes for some of the other Bleach tracks too. Incredible that TOTALLY UNNAMED QUINCY BOSSMAN just goes "Ichigo's over there? Aight we over here then."
arcthenomad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Oh sick, we get remixes for some of the other Bleach tracks too. Incredible that TOTALLY UNNAMED QUINCY BOSSMAN just goes "Ichigo's over there? Aight we over here then."

Sad thing is that is the exact same stunt Aizen pulled on Ichigo during his attempt to assault the Soul King's Palace. You would think that Soul Society would be watching for that. Also they obviously know at this point that Isshin has his shinigami powers back so you would think they would have gotten in touch with him and Urahara like immediately. Especially, after what Mayuri said in yesterday's episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Opie's Voll Stern Dich form is suitably impressive, both in its initial shape and especially when he absorbs Ayon and starts hulking out. ... [But] I was far more impressed with the way Opie used the already established Quincy power of gathering Reishi to straight up destroy his opponents and the surrounding landscape...

Well, I suppose there's a reason he's named Opie. Smile And for me there's no small irony in that the swastika (manji) appears in Ichigo's Bankai eyecatch, rather than the Quincy's.

Speaking of the Quincy, I thought it was funny that Uryu's response to "Stay out of my library without permission!" was to snoop around his office without permission. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
Voll stern dich is a nonsensical translation and just a string of words, I don't know why they didn't go with Vollständig like it's supposed to be.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And for me there's no small irony in that the swastika (manji) appears in Ichigo's Bankai eyecatch, rather than the Quincy's.

I don't see how it's ironic, though? I'm sure I don't need to point out that the manji is not the Nazi swastika... Not to mention, it's part of the word "bankai" (卍解) and also the tsuba of Ichigo's zanpakutou is shaped like it.

Anyway, watching this is sooo nostalgic. I remember reading this arc in the manga, after being so severely burned by most everything that came before by that point - being so hopeful that finally this is going to be a story not centering around the shinigami, that finally the Karakura gang is going to appear more for a single chapter, that finally Ishida is going to be relevant instead of being relegated to comic relief, that maybe Kurotsuchi Mayuri is going to get his comeuppance instead of having been turned into a comical character whose main comic aspect is being a dick to the character whose immense and brutal trauma he'd caused, that maybe Ichigo is not going to disappear for like months and years from what is ostensibly his story while an endless cast of side characters are having one on one battles for no end... oh how naive I was. Anime smile + sweatdrop Still, I hope that with the anime having a very finite episode number, it's going to do what Kubo apparently physically can't, and streamline the damn story, cut away the fat, and maybe even flesh some things out that really needed to be fleshed out before the manga's unceremonious end.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
kurowa-san wrote:
Voll stern dich is a nonsensical translation and just a string of words, I don't know why they didn't go with Vollständig like it's supposed to be.

I don't know German but know Spanish.

All the Hollow attacks and terminology is in Spanish and arranged in a certain way that when pronounced with Japanese rules is a pun.

For example: Sado's main attack is "La Muerte" (The Death), in Japanese is "魔人の一撃" which is pronounced as "Ra Muerute" which menas "Devil's Strike".

Maybe it's the same thing here, the word is arranged to make it a Japanese pun.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
For example: Sado's main attack is "La Muerte" (The Death), in Japanese is "魔人の一撃" which is pronounced as "Ra Muerute" which menas "Devil's Strike".

I don't know Spanish (know a bit of German, though), but I know Japanese, and "Ra Muerute" is the phonetic approximation of "La muerte" in Japanese. 魔人の一撃 would be "Majin no ichigeki". Anime smile + sweatdrop It's not a pun, they're just assigning "La Muerte " to the Japanese phrase to indicate that Chad is saying "La Muerte" and not "Majin no ichigeki", basically the attack has two names, one in Japanese and one in a foreign language with a similar/related meaning, because we're Bleach and we live and die by the power of cool.

So no, "Voll Stern Dich" is not a pun either, it's just either the localization team or Kubo himself not knowing German.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12