• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just being naive, but I don't think that YouTube or torrents are the main problem in the anime community. (For the record, I've never watched anything on YouTube. I have downloaded a couple of series but nowhere near as many as I legally own.)

I think the real problem is the absurd belief that people have that 1) R1 anime DVDs are mostly edited 2) devoid of a Japanese language track and 3) have a terrible dub anyway so they're worthless. I've routinely run into people who seem to think that every series has gotten the 4Kids treatment. There are still people babbling about how Naruto's only available in "butchered dub." (I'm not kidding. I've seen the posts.)

I don't know if it's willful ignorance or just plain stupidity, but there are a lot of people who act like any R1 DVD is a heavily-edited, English dub only release.

Also, the constant harping against dubs that many in the fanbase do is not helping sales at all. There are a lot of people who either don't like or have difficulty with subtitles. Some people, like myself, plain prefer to be able to understand what the heck we're listening to. The anti-dub hostility is keeping some people from even trying to watch anime.

Eh, just my opinions. Feel free to ignore or flame me.
genman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that anime companies in Japan and the U.S. let fansubs proliferate. If they were more like the RIAA and MPAA they'd be out there shutting down people's ISP accounts and suing downloaders and fansub groups.

Given most people's ethics and attitudes, the gestapo approach is the only way to deal with the problem. Unfortunately, I doubt a single anime company out there would have enough time or resources to police the internet and send people threatening letters. But still, even if they were able to just take out a few groups and scare a few downloaders, it might curb the problem for a while.

Perhaps they will someday form a member organization with some teeth?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I don't know if it's willful ignorance or just plain stupidity, but there are a lot of people who act like any R1 DVD is a heavily-edited, English dub only release.

That's garbage, MOST of the time it's just people making an excuse. 4Kids is an obvious exception on the industry side and there are some people who are exceptions on the consumer side, but they are by FAR in the minority.

And people harping on the dub has no discernible effect. I know this because that's what the company told me 10 years ago when all the sub fans hated the dubs and had to pay more for a subbed VHS tape because they didn't sell well comparatively, even though all the English voice actors "sucked". Besides, DVDs are SUPPOSED to spare us THAT particular drama because you can just choose an audio track you like. (-_-)
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
I like the way some fansubbers handle the subtitling. While I agree that some of the stuff out there is annoying, with poor choice of font and multi colours, I'm not too fond of the plain san-serif yellow/white fonts used on DVDs.

When I watch DVDs, the dub has to be absolutely annoying to make me want to read the DVD's subs. I find that the subs appeared jagged (something to do with anti-aliasing) and it just feels obtrusive and out of place.

I guess it's just a personal preference, but I like white serif fonts with black outline placed low on the screen. But yeah, I understand that there are limitations to what you can do using a TV and DVD player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow lot's of good points about the R1 subs vs fansubs,I also think diffrent color text is helpful for showing two poeple talking.

The flake of the week was funny and the baby dolphin was cute.Anime smile
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
somebody asked:

"Hey Answerman, I recently saw the film "Pan's Labyrinth" and I thought it was a great movie but I couldn't help comparing it to Spirited Away"

Have you seen David Bowie's "Labyrinth"? how about "Mirrormask"? let's get classic, how about "Alice in wonderland"? have you read "Coraline"?

The plot of "the girl that goes to a magical world with a mission to save...."
is preety common, also it give room for imagination and the variants are endless, since the world can have any kind of creatures, including creatures/mascots out of the same main character's imagination, is a very tender topic and it makes it very interesting.

Im going to see "Pan's labyrinth" tomorrow (cool thing is in spanish, my mother language) but I must announce that all the authors in this day and age have to develop stories on settings that we already saw million of times...

You know...Is like when Miyazaki Ripped off DUNE to create Nausicaa....

that Ol' man though he fooled everyone....
ryoga79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
I also find subtitle quality on dvds does depend dramatically on the player and a little on the discs themselves, my all format multi-region player shakes them around like crazy on some disc but on others is absolutely fine, the ps2 not so bad, then my R2 Sony and multi-region PC are perfect

There is one other thing to say about subtitles though, no dvd should ever have just hard of hearing subtitles. I brought the Slam dunk dvds to support the show (guess I was the only one) but I can't blame anyone for that as I couldn't actually watch them. Ghastly subs. That practice must be outlawed and is a definite case of the fansub beats the official release hands down.

Does anyone else buy anime just on the case of packaging, without ever reading reviews or anything? for me fancy packaging make me buy dvds even if I've never heard of the series. If they went to this much trouble then the series can't be that bad... That is something torrents and youtube can't replace.
Flame-X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The only issue I have with R1 DVD subs is the engrish. Like in Utawarerumono, Eruru's name shows up as "Elulu".
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

I'll have a chance to get copies next weekend, I'm told they'll be available at SIGNIFICANT discount at the Tutu Cast Party here in Texas. I can check on them for ya, if you have a price target you want to hit, but you'd need to send a check or money order or something. ADV reps will be on site, so if you'd prefer to deal with them directly, I can see about getting a mailing address to send them a check or something if you want.

Wow...thanks so much! I don't know what a good price would be to shoot for.
I can get a MO to you i'm sure. Got AIM? Mine is : BritannicaMoore we can discuss it somemore there. Or emails...whichever you prefer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kei-clone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I just have to say whoever uses YouTube to watch anime is n00b. If you don't want to buy the DVD's then at least take the effort to find it and download it, then at least the quality won't be as horrendous.
Jetto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I think the fansubber's subtitles are awesome. I like the Karaoke and all, I don't see it as "Gimmicky" in the least.

However, when they start splicing their group's screen names into the credits, that pisses me off... ><

Fansubs are nice, but I hate it when "leechers" are more loyal to a group of pirates (when it comes down to it, that's what they are) than they are to the anime itself. Its sad, really...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
bill1234 wrote:
I don't really have any respect for him either I never really liked him to begin with Aswerman were you serious when you said go to hell or..... I really don't see the joke with that. I was going to post yesterday.... what do you have a job are u a real person or just a robot...... like in the matrix movie.... do you have a soul....... that was really rude I don't get it....................... the go to hell part I don't get it at all...........

No. I am a soulless monster, who particularly enjoys the taste of first-born children.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I've got one for you. Won't clean his room, gives me sass when it's time to stop watching the anime and go to bed.... excellent sacrifice for the answerman. Give me a drop shipping address, and we'll get this moving.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
Fansubs are nice, but I hate it when "leechers" are more loyal to a group of pirates (when it comes down to it, that's what they are) than they are to the anime itself. Its sad, really...

I actually find that amusing. Even more amusing when one fansub group "rips off" another, and then all the loyal masses of the group accuses the other of being a thief and say stuff like "hay u how dar u steel scrips wtf [whatever group] wurkd sooo hard n al u du iz steel der wurk ok itz therz ok not urz!!!!"

I'm not against fansubs, but it's really...interesting when one fansub group accuses another of "stealing".
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bill1234 wrote:
I don't really have any respect for him either I never really liked him to begin with Aswerman were you serious when you said go to hell or..... I really don't see the joke with that. I was going to post yesterday.... what do you have a job are u a real person or just a robot...... like in the matrix movie.... do you have a soul....... that was really rude I don't get it....................... the go to hell part I don't get it at all...........

No. I am a soulless monster, who particularly enjoys the taste of first-born children.

Funny I thought you enjoyed the blood of virgins. Laughing thats at least what I prefer Twisted Evil It is funny because any body with half a brain knows that they won't be able to post a colume on a professional site...I mean come one what site would let you just because they need someone to do it....I think the guy who wrote that was just trying to be funny anyways so I don't think his feelings were hurt. Wink

Last edited by omar235 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6