• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
This was probably one of the most pivotal points of the entire series, and the adaption really nailed it in terms of the animation, direction, execution, and animation. It all felt impactful, meaningful, and special to see Thorfinn go through so much, realize so much, and make a resolve to change that feels so genuine and earned after so much build-up both from his actions in season 1 and with what has happened to him this season.

It's one of the most satisfying and incredible moments of character development I have ever seen, both in terms of being such a shift for the protagonist and how it basically challenges the kind of series it had been in the prior season.

Great stuff!
tintor2 wrote:
Yuto Uemura better win an award for his deliveries cos he gave Thorfinn like five tones to sound in a single episode. He really sounded different when speaking to Einar after leaving Valhalla or what you might consider that scenario be. The anime has always used hallucinations of Thors in Vinland for even the 2nd opening of season 1 and they did it again in the latest episode but rather than staying, they made him leave. It really feels like the redefining episode of Thorfinn. I think even Hajime Isayama was impressed by this in an interview for how protagonist changed after so many encounters.

He delivered a career defining performance in this episode.

And Naoya Uchida hasn't missed a beat as Askeladd.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:35 am Reply with quote
Gotta say. Thorfinn and Canute being foils is kinda strange when you considering how their teenage personas were defined by Askeladd in season 1. When the two lost their most important people in their lives, Thorfinn and Canute lost their innocence symbolized but their changed facial expressions. The two had the same face but now in season 2 it's different as they are seeking different paths but apparently the one who made the change is Thorfinn as he is trying to escape from violence while Canute is still has the coldness from season 1.

Curiously, the voice actors of Thorfinn and Canute have been interacting for years ever since 2016 thanks to Bungo Stray Dogs where they share similar roles. Atsushi Nakajima and his rival Ryunosuke Akutagawa. Still, Thofinn and Canute haven't talked that much. I remember Hajime Isayama said he was completely interested in Thorfinn's character back in an old interview when he heard Yukimura was writing about slaves and was looking forward to see Thorfinn meeting Canute again in this arc.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the joy and openness of Thorfinn just warms my heart...along with him and Einar being bro's.

Poor Harald. Also poor Estrid that she has no idea what's going between her brothers. Canute is willing to sacrifice everything for his goals but will there be anything left of him by the end of it? Especially when he's talking to the severed head of his father?
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
I’ve loved every episode of Vinland Saga so far, especially this season for the focus on Thorfinn’s development, but now I’m even more excited to see Canute’s descent into madness and an undying thirst for power.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a real “Schmidt/Winston” scenario for any of the New Girl fans who might also be into Vinland Saga enough to read these reviews (seriously, chime off in the comments if you got that joke because I'm dying to know what the crossover-appeal ratio of New Girl and Vinland Saga is).
I got the joke right away James.
Amauri14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to comment that I understood the “Schmidt/Winston” joke and even created an account just to do that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:53 am Reply with quote
It was nice hearing Askeladd's Seiyu again, he does such a great job with the character. Is it just me , or did episode 11 feel very comedic, I know Vinland Saga has been comedic in the past, but never so much in a single episode.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder what actually triggered Canute's change. I mean already in season 1 he orchestrated the King's death
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
It's funny how Thorfinn both was and was not in this episode. But ironically a comedic confrontation ends up leading Lief to a direct shot at Thorfinn after all these years.

A noose is already tightening up on the farm. And centered around it is none other than our least favorite idiot Olmar. I was not expecting to see Ketil facepalm.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Amauri14 wrote:
I just wanted to comment that I understood the “Schmidt/Winston” joke and even created an account just to do that.

Treecko Tempo wrote:
I got the joke right away James.

Hell yeah Cool
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Christ, I clicked on this episode review on a whim and was hit with a random New Girl reference I happened to know. lmao
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It kills me that Leif is thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to (the real) Thorfinn. I hope they get to meet up in the future. Very curious how that would turn out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the scene where Thorfinn was repeatedly slashed is one of the most brutal sequences in a show full of brutality. I found it much more compelling than watching Thorkil destroy a bunch of stupid soldiers.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Between Wulf blinding his own man with a coin straight to the eye

Hooded guy wasn’t Wulf. Hooded guy has no scars on his face like Wulf does
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thorkil brutally killing everybody sadistically and having the Best of his life linda seems like a reference to ridiculously edgy characters like Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach who seem only famous for violence. Meanwhile Thorfinn and Einar seem like the actual antíthesis who admitted they don't like violence at all and prefer having a more normal life. Yukimura has often said that while he draws violence, he absolutely hates it which seems like a Nice message in regards to what people should do
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9