• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Galaxy Next Door (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:50 am Reply with quote

(A) Galaxy Next Door (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 6 volumes, by Gido Amagakure)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Asashi Production

Genres: comedy, romance, science fiction

Themes: aliens, childcare, manga-ka

Plot Summary: Since his parents died, manga artist Ichiro has barely scraped by, forced to support his two younger siblings on just a middle school education. He doesn't even have time to learn how to use a computer, which forces him to keep wrestling with pen and paper. When his art assistants quit to strike out on their own, on top of juggling deadlines, family, and the constant fear of losing his job, Ichiro feels close to a total breakdown.

But then a new assistant pops into Ichiro's life, his prospects immediately start to brighten. She's an incredible artist, she always finishes on time, and she's beautiful, to boot. But she also seems to know an awful lot about him, and, soon, she makes a confession that bends Ichiro's mind beyond the confines of Earth…

Air Date & Platform:
April 8, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen caps)

Episode 01: Crunch Time with the Princess
Episode 02: Shopping with the Princess
Episode 03: Drama Bomb with the Princess
Episode 04: Weather Conditions with the Princess

Episode 05: At the Zoo with the Princess
Episode 06: A Letter with the Princess
Episode 07: A Slight Fever with the Princess
Episode 08: Christmas with the Princess

Episode 09: A Hot Spring with the Princess
Episode 10: Family Meeting with the Princess
Episode 11: Stinger Removal with Kuga-kun
Episode 12: Fireworks with the Princess

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:45 am; edited 14 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:22 am Reply with quote
Edited to fix a double negative in the last sentence.

Opinions are subjective and blah blah blah, but whether other people like the show or not, anybody who says A Galaxy Next Door isn’t one beautifully drawn anime is going to get labelled with an unflattering mental post-it note from yours truly. So, y’know, tremble in fear at that prospect <g>. The art’s nothing fancy, and I won’t compare its animation to the likes of Demon Slayer but in terms of attention to detail, color, composition, and other things I don't know enough about to do justice to, this is the prettiest anime I've seen in a while.

The background music is awesome without drawing too much attention to itself too. I love it when background scores enhance a story without distracting from it. I can still remember the piano scores from Violet Evergarden or Just Because or The Kawaii Complex Guide or Blue Spring Ride or, oddly enough, Ben-To. I was able to track down some of those scores. The piano and violin work on Ice Guy and His Cool Colleague was the best last season had to offer as far as I could tell, but I didn’t mention it at the time because I probably won’t remember it in five years, and as good as it was, I thought the music was kind of wasted on that show.

As to whether or not I just plain liked A Galaxy Next Door – hells yeah. I won’t say it’s my favorite romance this season based on one episode, not with My Love Story with Yamada-Kun at LV999 and Skip and Loafer both starting strong. Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You is back too, and I’m fond of that anime.

As of the first full week, I'm all in on Home Hero, Konosuba Explosion, Hell's Paradise, Skip and Loafer, Magic and Muscles, Tonikawa, Yamada-Kun at Lv999, and now, A Galaxy Next Door. That anime about insomniacs looks pretty promising too. Even if none of the anime I've put on the 3 week probation list pan out, this is looking like a good season, especially for romance anime.

Last edited by Edjwald on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I guess it had to happen sooner or later, Edjwald, but it looks like we are having our first significant divergence of opinion. By no means do I think this is a bad show, but I'm not bonding with it all, not even one little bit. In fact, I don't plan watching any more. I can't even really say why it's not grabbing me. It's almost like a pheromone thing where the show's pheromones just aren't meshing with my receptors for some reason that science cannot yet explain. I'm glad you like it, Edgwald - it's always fun having shows sync up with you.

edited to add more Very, Very Important Thoughts... it's weird this show isn't working for me. The characters are likeable, the kids are cute, I like romance shows, I like aliens... eh, I guess I should give this another chance just to make sure I wasn't caught in a bizarre space-time continuum rift when I watched the first eppie...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01: Crunch Time with the Princess

Summary: Kuga, a struggling manga artist, inherits an apartment building and is aided by a talented new assistant, Shiori. During a late-night work session, Kuga accidentally touches a pen in Shiori's back, revealing her to be a Star-Person princess and his fated husband. However, Shiori insists they must fall in love first before they can marry.

Comments: This seems like a pretty sweet anime, so far. It almost feels slice-of-life, aside from Shiori being an alien. But I'm even more curious what her natural form is. The "stinger" she mentions made me think of insectoids, but her demeanor feels way too refined to be that kind rudimentary creature.

And then, based on the title of the series, what if her full form is literally a galaxy? I can't even fathom the fictional physics of how all that matter can be contained in a human body shell. I hope the story can come up with a good explanation for it.

The art is very good, though. Not so much in the backgrounds, but I do like the character designs and color scheme. There's a certain kind of pleasantness to it.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 I guess it had to happen sooner or later, Edjwald, but it looks like we are having our first significant divergence of opinion..

It's fine. I was starting to think dad might be a travelin' man.<g>:

All I can say is, when Shiori said that bit about really liking his non flashy, not so popular manga because she could sense the care put in the little details in the art, I kind of got what she was talking about, because that's the exact quality I was responding to in the anime that she said it in.

The art is not stylized or particularly original. And like I said, the music doesn't draw attention to itself like that Calypso jazz montage music that keeps popping up in Bofuri season 2. And yet, I can tell somebody took a lot of pains putting it all together even though it's a couple of simple scenes without a lot of melodrama.

Blood- wrote:
.. it's weird this show isn't working for me. The characters are likeable, the kids are cute, I like romance shows, I like aliens... eh, I guess I should give this another chance just to make sure I wasn't caught in a bizarre space-time continuum rift when I watched the first eppie...

That happens. It's also entirely possible I got too rhapsodic because I do this weird thing when I connect with a prettily drawn anime with pretty music. It's almost like I'm watching a music box with moving parts and not even focusing on the plot so much.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Shopping with the Princess

Summary: Shiori rents an apartment and asks her Star-People to discover if their engagement can be annulled. Two men flirt with Shiori, but Ichiro hurts her arm, causing his nose to bleed. Ichiro promises to be more careful and learn how to be around Shiori safely.

Comments: Interesting "mechanics" when being a Star-Person, I suppose. The developing chemistry between the two is pretty cute, though. There's an understated quality to it that's subtle, yet effective. I think it's the fact that Shiori, while she's technically a princess, isn't nearly as uppity as I expected for someone from a royal lineage. I'm hoping there are more awkward moments between the two, as well as seeing how each might change through the course of the series.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:09 am Reply with quote
The second episode was fun and the main characters grew a bit closer (both emotionally and literally with her moving in). That said, Shiori's powers sure seem more like a curse than anything that I would call beneficial, especially for Kuga who has to stay close and be mindful of his actions or suffer the consequences.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I watched the second episode trying to see if I should reconsider, but I still love this show because it's as pretty and colorful as a big old easter basket. As for Smoky's comment, I can see where the powers involved might be considered a way of guarding bloodlines and such. Makes me wonder if they evolved or were designed.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Drama Bomb with the Princess

Summary: Ichiro tests to see how far he can get from Shiori before becoming ill, while Shiori suggests acting out scenes from romantic manga. Shiori introduces herself to the other tenants, and Momoka visits Ichiro and his siblings. When Shiori learns she is jealous of Ichiro's friendship with Momoka, she realizes she must be in love with Ichiro.

Comments: Yes! There goes some of that awkward rom-com humor I'm looking for. I feel like culture clash can go a long way to illustrate just how silly or over/under-utilized our interactions with one another can be. It's totally awkward for Ichiro, because he's essentially just Shiori's guinea pig for love. But I like how she's also adept enough to realize what it all might actually mean.

I'm hoping there aren't any kinks thrown in, like more Star-People coming to look for her, or something. At that point, I feel it would ruin the great intimate setup they already have going. It's cute, funny, and even a little logical in its progression. More thinky, but just feely enough. I like it.

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Weather Conditions with the Princess

Summary: Ichiro has to cancel taking his siblings to the zoo due to rain. When Shiori accidentally tears one of Machi's tarot cards, Ichiro volunteers to make a new set, and they draw the new cards together and help Machi put on a fortune telling performance. Ichiro confesses that he loves Shiori and wants to date her properly before getting engaged. Shiori happily accepts and passes out from excitement.

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
I’m loving this show. It’s got heart, light comedy, warmth. I’m not entirely sure about the stinger. Is that based on some cultural myth or just a very randomly inserted device? The simple setup works for me and the manga artist slant sets up some interesting space for gags that break the 4th wall if they want to go there.

My reference list is not huge but there is an almost Ah! My Goddess aspect to it all (though more mature and less goofy) so I already like Shiori and Ichirou more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
A random thought popped into my head while watching episode 4. I remember many anime and manga of old being very slow when it comes to romance. Tiny bit of progress were made every few episodes or chapters and things like a confession or some scandalous hand holding were saved for the end of the series.

However, it feels like there are way more anime like Galaxy these days in that romance makes actual progress in a not snails pace. Now at the end of episode 4 we have both mains being aware of their feelings and having spoken said feelings out loud. Now the actual dating and getting to know each other better begins.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:31 am Reply with quote
Of course, you have shows like Konigawa: Moon Over You that progress like a rocket and move at a snails pace at the same time.

You're right, when I start counting on my fingers (and toes), the anime that move at a slow pace way outnumber the ones that move the relationship along briskly, and more options is generally a good thing.

That said, it's not the formula, it's the handling that matters. Which seems obvious, right? But we live in a world where as soon as something has a success, a legion of imitators swarm out, and if they are also successful, more imitators swarm out, and fewer and fewer of them have an actual vision or put any heart and soul into a project...they're just looking for a quick, safe, predictable profit until the genre they're mining gets played out..
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: At the Zoo with the Princess

Summary: Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: A Letter with the Princess

Summary: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3