• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zoe let loose his inner gorgon?

Ah, so the OP with Chise helping all the kids through their emotional trauma actually happened in the show. It was cute seeing everybody as kids and opening up a little more. Honestly the stuff with Lucy's family was out of Philomela's control and she was more of a bystander and victim than a perpetrator...but it just makes her grandmother even more vile.

Can they finally save Philomela?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:40 am Reply with quote
Completely agree with Nick's episode 21 review. AMB has always been a solid series, but the last few episodes have stepped the series up to another level. After this episode, I now have to consider there to be a Big Four for the season instead of just a Big Three.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The last three episodes have been absolutely amazing. Philomela's portrayal is crushingly heartbreaking and deeply empathetic, Chise's growth is incredibly satisfying and all the secondary characters are great as well (I think Isaac is the weakest so far, really hope to get an explanation about him never showing his face).

Seeing it's this good regardless of the poor production values, I can only imagine how glorious it could've been if season one staff came back...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:59 am Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Seeing it's this good regardless of the poor production values, I can only imagine how glorious it could've been if season one staff came back...

If this series has poor production values then this must be one crappy season visually for you, because I haven't many series this season which look as good or better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If this series has poor production values then this must be one crappy season visually for you, because I haven't many series this season which look as good or better.

Well it admittedly is a bit worse than at least the previous two, outside of that one show which is so good it almost compensates, but I still probably wouldn't put this in the top 5 techincally. My comparison is mainly with the first season which is simply on an other level: every aspect here is downgraded and such a great source material deserves much better. I've explained more of this in an earlier post in this thread if you wonder why I feel this way. It's just a shame that the old staff couldn't come back to make it justice.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Well it admittedly is a bit worse than at least the previous two, outside of that one show which is so good it almost compensates, but I still probably wouldn't put this in the top 5 techincally. My comparison is mainly with the first season which is simply on an other level: every aspect here is downgraded and such a great source material deserves much better. I've explained more of this in an earlier post in this thread if you wonder why I feel this way. It's just a shame that the old staff couldn't come back to make it justice.

Yeah, I remember that post. I didn't comment on it at the time because I was busy, but I thought at the time that you were overstating how big a difference there was between the seasons. Yes, the animation was a little better in the first season, but not that stark a difference; I think you're overestimating the first season's quality on that front. And while I get what you mean about the dreamy aspect to the direction, you're forgetting that the Academy arc in the manga focuses far less on the "wonder of magic" aspect in favor of emphasizing character interactions.

While I haven't yet read the manga volume that the last couple of episodes have been based on, I've generally been satisfied with the adaptation so far, especially in the last few episodes. This half is easily among my top 5 for this season.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I remember that post. I didn't comment on it at the time because I was busy, but I thought at the time that you were overstating how big a difference there was between the seasons. Yes, the animation was a little better in the first season, but not that stark a difference; I think you're overestimating the first season's quality on that front. And while I get what you mean about the dreamy aspect to the direction, you're forgetting that the Academy arc in the manga focuses far less on the "wonder of magic" aspect in favor of emphasizing character interactions.

While I haven't yet read the manga volume that the last couple of episodes have been based on, I've generally been satisfied with the adaptation so far, especially in the last few episodes. This half is easily among my top 5 for this season.

It's true that this arc is different than season one and less magic-focused, and that's not the new staff's fault. However I've rewatched season one just before the first cour started and the difference was already noticeable in the OVA. I don't think I'm overestimating it honestly, just take a look at the best backgrounds from this season and compare it with the worst of Takeda: there's still a nigth and day difference. All scenes with movement just look really bad this season, especially the fights are barely animated, and the direction is simply absent without any creative or impactful framings. Naganuma is directing Apothecary Diaries this season, and his touch is still apparent despite that show not being fantasy.

Yeah, to me the difference is as stark as it could be, as those issues stack on top of each other making it visually flat and lifeless compared to season one. With that said, it's only out of the top 5 from a production point of view. Luckily the story is still amazing and if I factor it in it easily climbs in my top 3, or even top 2 after the last couple of episodes. I'm absolutely loving the payoff and the arc's climax, which makes the downgrade all the more sad. If I didn't love the story this much or didn't get spoiled by season one, I'd be way more forgiving with this "OK" adaptation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember thinking that Philomela in her consumed state was basically naked just with black skin, but now she is buck-naked and doesn't have any tendrils to cover her butt up. Also she is surprisingly busty.

I like how Lizbeth didn't get a sob story, she was always just an arrogant and cold woman who only really cared for her own image and superiority and how her own child effected that. She didn't see him really as a mother should see a child but as an extension of herself and her successes, and Adam eventually realize that.

The sad thing is that both Adam and his daughter looked to Lizbeth for maternal affection she wasn't capable of giving either of them, especially Philomela whom she only saw as a failure compared to her father and a stain on the family because of her mother. And she was always planning to kill her.

Luckily Philomela finally voices her desire to save herself and get help and Chise answers by breaking down the power of a God with a hammer! That was a really great scene of the two of them to close the episode out on.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... and turning Adam's vengeful hex into her spear is a killer addition.

Hard not to be reminded of Fate/mumble mumble when that happened. Though I suppose a more literal resemblance would be to Soul Eater.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
There is a missing moment that I think it was pretty neat where spoiler[ Ellias did have the impulse to stop Alycorne from sacrificing herself, and then wondering why he did felt that. I think it was a pretty good reflection on her.]

Regarding action I think the animation is nothing stellar, but really I don't mind much. This ain't a show that relays on good kinematic action for viewer engagement, and I think this episode still has some great character moments.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:43 am Reply with quote
It's fitting that now Lizbeth is the monster that she tried to turn Philomela into. It fits her better.

Poor Philomela. Just when she and Alcyone can finally connect again, she loses her. And even if she got her memories of her parents back, that doesn't completely make up for losing Alcyone. And then she gets to see her father again but it's not her father. At least now she has friends by her side.

It's funny how everyone wants a piece of Lizbeth, even the God she was trying to summon.

Power of Friendship for the win!
Gnarth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I am a little bit disappointed we didn't get explanations about the Webster incident after all this time, and God knows when we will, but other than that, I loved the finale. Philomela's character arc was handled perfectly and the final scene, that sincere laugh, made all the build up worth it. Chise is finally matured to the point of helping others out of the darkness she's way too familiar with, and she's learning to value herself even if the implications are scary. It's great that Joseph keeps appearing from time to time, and he always has some lessons for Chise, who understands him more every day.

I admit I would've liked a lengthier epilogue, maybe a whole episode, but that speaks to how much I've come to care about these characters. I want to see Isaac's face and know what his deal is, I want to see more of Rian and, most of all, I need the Lucy x Zoe ship to sail! And obviously what Veronica is up to. I'm definetly going to pick up the manga, and really hope to see a season 3 in the future.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully we get a S3 in a few years. The manga just started back up with the new arc though it's being AI translated so gotta wait for the fansub group to give it a proper translation.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's that weird being that came tangled along within the Eye-God's vines to stare Chise down for a moment, which nobody's sure what to make of.

I'm convinced that was Shub-Niggurath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4