• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Arts Workers Japan Survey: 94% of Japanese Creators Concerned About AI

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
If the article's statistic is to be believed, it's no wonder DLsite and the others in the other day's article put the lid over most if not all AI-generated commercial content.

AI supporters will bleat about how these illustrators supposedly don't deserve to continue and have to bow down to the march of progress, but I can't think of anything more galling than seeing someone with a few keystrokes and a program steal what took real effort and time to create for commercial value and get away with it.

It's now up to the lawmakers to decide if they want the situation to continue as it is, or do something about it with regulation. Considering the Japanese Diet isn't known for its speed in passing laws, the people interviewed might be sweating for some time yet.
Randomix

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:22 am Reply with quote
As much as AI art can look impressive, sexy, awesome, and all that...

I still think it should be outlawed - everywhere.

Artist have spent countless hours, days, and months to improve their work, and for many of them it is their way of earning money for living.

This is criminal activity with AI.
Predictabo

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Randomix wrote:
As much as AI art can look impressive, sexy, awesome, and all that...

I still think it should be outlawed - everywhere.

Artist have spent countless hours, days, and months to improve their work, and for many of them it is their way of earning money for living.

This is criminal activity with AI.

First of all, it's not criminal activity. That's the entire point of this article and the entire debate against AI right now. No laws are being broken and so the groups concerned are requesting it be made illegal or some kind of regulations be formed. The well has been so poisoned by people spouting misinformation to convince people laws have been broken and that AI has no legitimate uses even with proper regulation.

It has so many legitimate uses that would make the lives of artists easier but it does need regulation. However, people who are strongly anti-AI are not going to stop until the technology is fully banned and outlawed because they have no interest in adopting AI into their workflow.

Meanwhile artists who DO see the value of AI to improve their workflow have to keep quiet or their artist friends will disown them entirely and prevent them from getting work. I know quite a few artists who've been using AI who will hide that fact just because this conversation is so toxic.

Harleyquin wrote:
If the article's statistic is to be believed, it's no wonder DLsite and the others in the other day's article put the lid over most if not all AI-generated commercial content.

AI supporters will bleat about how these illustrators supposedly don't deserve to continue and have to bow down to the march of progress, but I can't think of anything more galling than seeing someone with a few keystrokes and a program steal what took real effort and time to create for commercial value and get away with it.

It's now up to the lawmakers to decide if they want the situation to continue as it is, or do something about it with regulation. Considering the Japanese Diet isn't known for its speed in passing laws, the people interviewed might be sweating for some time yet.

The conversation is much more nuanced but people who hate AI do nothing but quote and screencap obvious trolls in order to strengthen their position. No one is interested in actually discussing this like intelligent human beings, it's all emotion and anger and hysterical reactionary responses.

You are falling for trolls and people making sockpuppet accounts. It blows my mind people take it seriously when an account is doing nothing but taking a big poop on artists and saying "hahaha I am glad you're losing your jobs, AI is the future!" because it's really really obvious trollbait.

And frankly, Japanese artists have always had issues with people re-posting their work even before AI. Plenty of them delete everything because people on Reddit/Twitter/etc re-post their work. Doesn't even matter if you fully credit them, link back and tell people to subscribe to them. They simply don't want foreigners re-posting their work period and hated the fact that Pixiv opened itself up to foreigners.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
I got some mixed feelings about IA generated art, on the one hand at first it looked pretty bad, but lately it has been progressing incredibly fast and there are some pieces that look pretty good, but you can still tell it was done by an AI. I don't think it's going to affect traditional artists right now, but I can well understand their concerns.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Before people get excited - or worried - reminder that you should always take these kinds of "X% of people say" surveys with a huge grain of salt. You can ask someone hundreds of questions and if even 1 of those ends up being something mild like "Do you think AI has the potential to replace peoples jobs in the future like other automation?" and they answer "Yeah, maybe" then it's a point they tick to support the "94% of people have concerns about AI" result. These kinds of surveys very easy to spin the result you want to make a nice, appealing headline.

That being said, Japan doesn't have the same kind of freedom of expression laws America does so while I'm not worried about AI being banned in the US since it violates first amendment rights, Japan could be a different story with how some technology is restricted by comparison. All you can really do is trust law makers do their own research and make the most logical call. A scary thought, I know.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:28 am Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:

That being said, Japan doesn't have the same kind of freedom of expression laws America does so while I'm not worried about AI being banned in the US since it violates first amendment rights, Japan could be a different story with how some technology is restricted by comparison. All you can really do is trust law makers do their own research and make the most logical call. A scary thought, I know.

Err... What. What does freedom of speech have to do with the legality of AI... Making AI is not a "speech act", it's the action of scraping their web, increasing server costs for the webhosts, and then amalgamating the scraped data into an algorithm which is capable of reproducing scraped content, all while ignoring robots.txt and so forth. Many would liken it to piracy, and I don't recall the us having some kind of "freedom of piracy".

And honestly... what does America have to do with the legality of AI? AI plagiarises works from every single country and every single language which has more or less any surface web presence. I'm no lawyer, but I don't see why, say, the jamaican government couldn't decide to sue the big players like openAI.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I got some mixed feelings about IA generated art, on the one hand at first it looked pretty bad, but lately it has been progressing incredibly fast and there are some pieces that look pretty good, but you can still tell it was done by an AI. I don't think it's going to affect traditional artists right now, but I can well understand their concerns.

that's survivor ship bias.

we have had both sides happen, artists who don't use ai getting bashed so hard they close their accounts because their work looks like ai and people getting bashed because people refuse.to believe their work is ai.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It is clearly concerning all because of ethical reasons
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
If the AI made something from them, isn't it like their works inspired it? every art is inspired from something ig.
AND, AIs didn't break any copyright laws ig as well. it is like a human changing stuff or some Chinese adidas with changing the logo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1