• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Toonami Kids Strike Back

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
Toonami was and still is the most influential programming block ever for anime because it respected anime as an art form and not a product.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:41 am Reply with quote
I would have thought that Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Pop, would be a no-brainer for Toonami. The show is borderline "We have Dragon Ball at home", and I say that as someone who likes the show.

I would love it, though, if they pulled a wild card and streamed something out of left field. They announce that Toonami will stream all of Ninku.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:07 am Reply with quote
I love Toonami. With exception to marathon weekends and times when my cable decided not to work, I make sure to tune to it on Saturday nights. The revival of Toonami definitely has helped me to watch more anime that I likely would've never seen. I know streaming is the main way people like to watch their shows nowadays, but I've always preferred watching shows on TV via cable. It's not as though I don't have a Crunchyroll sub, because I do, but if I had a choice between binging a whole series after it's done streaming/watching it as episodes come out or waiting to see if it'll air on Toonami and watch it weekly from there... I'm going to choose the Toonami option every time. It's probably dumb, but streaming just can't compete with the feelings I get each time I change the channel over to Cartoon Network and I hear those notes indicating the block is about to start.

That said... I know Toonami has definitely been seen as "going downhill", especially after 2020. Between budget issues and the like affecting the block from WBD to licenses being too expensive or outright not allowed due to Sony's influence, the block has been in a state of... I want to say "stagnation", but I don't think that's right. They do have new shows - original creations and licenses - but a lot of the shows you would think should air on Toonami just haven't and may never do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting for the day that Mob Psycho 100 S2 may see its time being aired on Toonami, especially after S1 was able to be re-ran a couple of years back. And yet, it still hadn't happened and likely may never happen. But, then again, we look at Demon Slayer and how Jason DeMarco stated that, at the time when S2 came out, the cost of the license was too expensive, but we wrapped up the S2 premier just a few months ago. So never say never, I suppose. Still, it is one of those things where I look at the block and go "This is great, but man... it could be so much better", and I don't blame some people whom look at the block and think that it's lost a lot of its edge. I want to hope that we'll eventually see things shift and maybe we can see more shows. I know there's so many people hoping for the new Bleach series, Chainsaw Man, Spy x Family, and classics like YuYu Hakusho to find their ways to the block, and I'd love to see that happen.

As for the Toonami Rewind block that starts tomorrow... I'm excited for it. Granted, because it is on Fridays, I can only really stay to watch one show. But that one show is going to be Sailor Moon, which is going to be a delight. I can finally put an end to the shaming I get when I mention that I've never seen a single episode of Sailor Moon because now I'll finally watch it. Thanks Toonami! Laughing I mostly jest with the shaming part, but still... I do hope that this block will succeed for the brand, and hopefully it can lead into other classic shows being licensed and eventually aired (although probably as a block extension versus replacing anything). I know a lot of people feel that this block isn't a true rewind because it's showing Kai versus the OG DBZ and the Viz dub for Sailor Moon over the DiC dub, but I think this lineup is perfect for what they are attempting. It still hits those nostalgic vibes, and I'm excited to experience the same feelings I do on Saturday nights on a Friday afternoon.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Toonami was and still is the most influential programming block ever for anime because it respected anime as an art form and not a product.
Oh really? The 90s would like to have a word with you on that.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Streaming and its convenience have definitely shifted the tectonic plates of television. But any of us with IRL co-workers can tell you that there's still room in many people's entertainment schedules for tuning in to TV on a broadcast schedule.

Nielsen tracks Streaming and its convenience have definitely shifted the tectonic plates of television. But any of us with IRL co-workers can tell you that there's still room in many people's entertainment schedules for tuning in to TV on a broadcast schedule.]monthly viewer consumption and it's clear that traditional television is still the market leader. YouTube TV is the leading streaming service but it still has a third of the reach as cable and I feel like most people use it for watching cable channels anyway.

Last edited by Joe Mello on Fri May 31, 2024 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
A couple of weeks back, Twitter uploaded the original pitch reel for Cartoon Network, with Don Kennedy narrating while pointing out the timelessness of cartoon characters and multiple demographic appeal.

https://x.com/cncity_rebuilt/status/1790797654357680353?s=61&t=JeuRnm5VvY9JGbPit11vcg

And while a few things would need to be changed, between retro Toonami, MeTV Toons, and Checkered Past, much of that wisdom still rings true. For better or for worse, Sailor Moon, Goku and Naruto occupy a very similar place with adults now that the Flintstones, Jetsons, and other classic characters did when this pitch was made.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or even some Samurai Jack
But turns out Samurai Jack is in checkered past Instead
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
Oh really? The 90s would like to have a word with you on that.

Toonami started in 1997 so they would be a pretty big part of that "word."
Quote:

I'm going to be a bit more cynical and say that I'm a bit bummed that big-time shonen fares like Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece have been a bit of a crutch for Toonami for a while

To be fair, DBZ was a bit of a crutch for classic Toonami, as well. The more things change.

The block probably couldn't survive, in the past or in the present, without long-running franchise shows like these to serve as pillars of the schedule. Especially these days, when typical anime episode counts are lower than ever, longer shows are important to avoid constant schedule churn. It's just a part of how the block stays alive.

But speaking of the whole crutch thing, we're approaching an interesting point in Toonami's history: after running on the block for over ten years, Naruto Shippuden is only about ten episodes away from ending. It's been the most reliable point of their schedule for a decade. There's no indication of what will happen when it ends. Will they just rerun the entire thing from episode 1? Will they move on to Boruto? Will they bring in a new long-runner like Fairy Tail or something? I think the answer could tell us a lot about the current fortunes of the block.

Quote:
But I have to level some blame on TOM's terrifying redesign from that final stretch of the classic era.

Fun fact, that version of TOM was later retconned into being a completely different character from the main TOM who has hosted all other versions of Toonami. Apparently the Toonami creative team didn't like his design either, but it was forced on them by the network. What's more, in 2015 they straight-up killed him off during one of their miniseries events.

Man, how many programming blocks have actual lore?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, when I heard that Cartoon Network announced the Checkered Past block last year and saw the line-up of old retro cartoon from the 90's and 2000's (man, those cartoon were both my childhood and my early teenage years memories). I knew and correctly predicted that CN would create a similar block for retro anime and I was right, when CN announced Toonami Rewind, my prediction turned out to be correct. Man, I saw a lot of older anime fans that grew up with Toonami grow in excitement and glassy eyes in nostalgia.

When I saw Sailor Moon classic was in the line-up and utilizing the Viz Media dub, I knew that CN was going to not only re-broadcast Sailor Moon but I hope Toonami can finally "finished" the anime by broadcasting Sailor Stars (something that the old Toonami in early 2000's never got chance to do), and hopefully finished the series officially.

On a similar topic, I stumbled upon topic threads on Reddit, MAL, and even Animesuperhero/Toonzone forum and I saw some people talking about what other anime back in the 90's and early 2000's would've worked for Toonami but never got chance to shine. And yes, I know what some of you are thinking, should Toonami Rewind broadcast retro anime that never got chance to shine on Toonami. I mean I know some fans that said Escaflowne would've worked better on Toonami then Fox Kids, and Slayers would've benefitted from Toonami's exposure. Hell, even Toonami's creator, Jason DeMarco has said it on record that he wanted Ranma 1/2 on Toonami but couldn't. I later found out that CN wanted to broadcast Utena on Toonami back in the late 90's, but couldn't (which is ironic because Steven Universe's creator cited Utena as a big influence on that cartoon).

I would love to see Toonami Rewind to include these anime that never got chance to shine on Toonami:

Escaflowne (This show was robbed of it's opportunity to shine when Fox Kids broadcasted the butchered version. It should be given a 2nd chance and I think Toonami Rewind is perfect for it. Which dub should CN use: Funimation or Ocean Group? Well, if the theme of Toonami Rewind is nostalgia and you have 2 different English dub and one is the older dub, I would say go for the Ocean Group dub.)

Flame of Recca (this anime I feel like never got chance to shine on there because it was licensed in the US a little late, and so it missed the Toonami golden time. Had this anime been shown on Toonami back in early 2000, I think this anime would be put on the same spot as Dragonball, and Naruto today. I would like to see that anime being broadcasted on the Rewind block)

Fushigi Yugi (again, I think this is another anime that was never given a chance to shine. Since Fushigi Yugi is now available and has an English dub, why not broadcast it)

B't X/B't X Neo (although the anime and the sequel came out in 1996 in Japan, the US licensing is confusing and it didn't get a dub until many years later. I believe this show had a good opportunity to be on Toonami if this anime had been licensed back in the late 90's or early 2000's. Now that the anime is fully dubbed recently, maybe this is a good time for this anime to be given a 2nd chance on US TV, and I think Toonami Rewind would be perfect for B't X and help expose the anime to people that never got chance to see it would appeal to both old and newer/younger audiences)

Star Ocean EX (Yeah, I know this anime never got chance to be shown on TV. But given Star Ocean 2 has gotten a modern-day remaster/remake for current gen console, I thought why not take advantage of this game's release to broadcast Star Ocean EX to help cross-promote the game's re-release, and it's retro so this would fit Toonami Rewind's line-up)

Revolutionary Girl Utena (That anime I can confirmed that CN wanted to broadcast back in the late 90's but couldn't because of licensing issue and also the LGBTQ censorship back then wouldn't tolerate it. But now that given the success of Steven Universe and the fact that the show's creator, Rebecca Sugar has cited Utena as a big influences and the creation of Steven Universe wouldn't have happened without the anime. So given that Steven Universe was given critical acclaim when it was shown on CN, I think CN should returned the favor by allowing Utena to be shown on Toonami Rewind. It would be symbolic for Toonami to broadcast the anime that greatly influence Steven Universe.)

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
Streaming and its convenience have definitely shifted the tectonic plates of television. But any of us with IRL co-workers can tell you that there's still room in many people's entertainment schedules for tuning in to TV on a broadcast schedule.

Nielsen tracks [url=Streaming and its convenience have definitely shifted the tectonic plates of television. But any of us with IRL co-workers can tell you that there's still room in many people's entertainment schedules for tuning in to TV on a broadcast schedule.]monthly viewer consumption[/url] and it's clear that traditional television is still the market leader. YouTube TV is the leading streaming service but it still has a third of the reach as cable and I feel like most people use it for watching cable channels anyway.

Yeah, I feel like even with the death of cable encroaching (or perhaps having already happened, depending on who you ask), there's still a good place for Toonami and blocks like it. And yeah, pretty much everyone I know with Youtube TV (including myself) just uses it as a cheaper cable package.

I think the best thing Toonami offered/offers is... I guess the right term would be curation? I mean everybody mentions every season how more and more anime are produced now than ever and it can be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I mean, I'm not saying that everything Toonami has ever aired have been unimpeachable bangers, for one it's pretty exclusively shonen, and yeah, everything on there is years behind the current season (with a few exceptions like all their co-produced stuff), but I'm just saying there are a lot of shows out there and a lot of folks just don't have the time or inclination to give everything the ol' 3-episode test. Look, all I'm sayin is that I missed the hype about Lycoris Recoil back when it came out, but then when it aired on Toonami just a few months ago I was like "whoa damn, how did I miss this? I love it!"

MarshalBanana wrote:
I would love it, though, if they pulled a wild card and streamed something out of left field. They announce that Toonami will stream all of Ninku.

They did Pop Team Epic a few years ago and I can hardly think of something more out of left field than that. They also did Hamtaro back in the old days but Jason Demarco's on record as saying that was forced on them by higher-ups in the food chain.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I love Toonami. With exception to marathon weekends and times when my cable decided not to work, I make sure to tune to it on Saturday nights. The revival of Toonami definitely has helped me to watch more anime that I likely would've never seen. I know streaming is the main way people like to watch their shows nowadays, but I've always preferred watching shows on TV via cable. It's not as though I don't have a Crunchyroll sub, because I do, but if I had a choice between binging a whole series after it's done streaming/watching it as episodes come out or waiting to see if it'll air on Toonami and watch it weekly from there... I'm going to choose the Toonami option every time. It's probably dumb, but streaming just can't compete with the feelings I get each time I change the channel over to Cartoon Network and I hear those notes indicating the block is about to start.

I'm 100% with you on this. (Yay fellow media boomers!) I've been watching anime on [as] for almost 20 years now, from the original ACTN branding to the Toonami revival. (I swear it's some sort of crazy temporal warp that the latter is now longer-lived than the former...that can't be right. Shocked ) For whatever reason streaming content has never really clicked with me. Having a massive library of titles available at your fingertips to watch whenever you please is a great thing in concept, but in practice the idea just gives me a massive case of choice paralysis, because there's no factor driving me toward watching any particular series. (See also: my massive disc collection...) Good ol' linear TV provides that external forcing, because I know I'm going to be watching every Saturday night. I've been exposed to some great shows that I probably never would have checked out on my own, with Lycoris Recoil being a standout example from just this year. So long as the block exists, I'll be tuning in every single week.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I would have thought that Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Pop, would be a no-brainer for Toonami. The show is borderline "We have Dragon Ball at home", and I say that as someone who likes the show.

Toonami aired Blue Dragon in the past and it wasn't very successful from what I remember.

I haven't watched Toonami in ages and honestly if I wanted nostalgia I would watch it on my own terms since half the stuff they're airing was either after my time or not even what I watched like Dragonball Kai and Sailor Moon's Viz dub. I'm surprised it's still a thing in the era of streaming and apparently successful enough to fund their own shows from time to time? Although none of them really interested me and if anything really turned me off like the numerous FLCL sequels.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:10 am Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Toonami aired Blue Dragon in the past and it wasn't very successful from what I remember.

That was 2008 back when the block, and CN itself for that matter, wasn't doing so hot plus it replaced the Funimation dub of One Piece which didn't help matters.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:39 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
To be honest, when I heard that Cartoon Network announced about the Checkered Past block last year and saw the line-up of old retro cartoon from the 90's and 2000's (man, those cartoon were both my childhood and my early teenage years). I knew and correctly predicted eventually CN would create a similar block for retro anime and I was right, when CN announced Toonami Rewind, my prediction was correct. Man, I saw a lot of older anime fans that grew up with Toonami grow in excitement and glassy eyes in nostalgia.

When I saw Sailor Moon classic was in the line-up and utilizing the Viz Media dub, I knew that CN was going to not only re-broadcast Sailor Moon but I hope Toonami can finally "finished" the anime by broadcasting Sailor Stars (something that the old Toonami in early 2000's never got chance to do), and hopefully finished what Toonami never got chance to do.

On a similar topic, I stumbled upon topic threads on Reddit, MAL, and even Animesuperhero/Toonzone forum and I saw some people talking about what other anime back in the 90's and early 2000's would've worked for Toonami but never got chance to shine. And yes, I know what some of you are thinking, should Toonami Rewind broadcast retro anime that never got chance to shine on Toonami. I mean I know some fans that said Escaflowne would've worked better on Toonami then Fox Kids, and Slayers would've benefitted from Toonami's exposure. Hell, even Toonami's creator, Jason DeMarco has said it on record that he wanted Ranma 1/2 on Toonami but couldn't. I later found out that CN wanted to broadcast Utena on Toonami back in the late 90's, but couldn't (which is ironic because Steven Universe's creator cited Utena as a big influence on that cartoon).

I would love to see Toonami Rewind to include these anime that never got chance to shine on Toonami:

Escaflowne (which dub should CN use: Funimation or Ocean Group? Well, if the theme of Toonami Rewind is nostalgia and you have 2 different English dub and one is the older dub, I would say go for the Ocean Group dub)

Flame of Recca (this anime I feel like never got chance to shine on there because it was licensed in the US a little late, so it missed the Toonami golden time. Had this anime been shown on Toonami back in early 2000, I think this anime would be put on the same spot as Dragonball, and Naruto today. I would like to see that anime being broadcasted on the Rewind block)

Fushigi Yugi (again, I think this is another anime that was never given a chance to shine. Since Fushigi Yugi is now available and has an English dub, why not broadcast it)

B't X/B't X Neo (although the anime and the sequel came out in 1996 in Japan, the US licensing is confusing and it didn't get a dub until many years later. I believe this show had a good opportunity to be on Toonami if this anime had been licensed back in the late 90's or early 2000's. Now that the anime is fully dubbed recently, maybe this is a good time for this anime to be given a 2nd chance on US TV, and I think Toonami Rewind would be perfect for B't X and help expose the anime to people that never got chance to see it would appeal to both old and newer/younger audiences)

Star Ocean EX (Yeah, I know this anime never got chance to be shown on TV. But given Star Ocean 2 has gotten a modern-day remaster/remake for current gen console, I thought why not take advantage of this game's release to broadcast Star Ocean EX to help cross-promote the game's re-release, and it's retro so this would fit Toonami Rewind's line-up)

Revolutionary Girl Utena (That anime I can confirmed that CN wanted to broadcast back in the late 90's but couldn't because of licensing issue and also the LGBTQ censorship back then wouldn't tolerate it. But now that given the success of Steven Universe and the fact that the show's creator, Rebecca Sugar has cited Utena as a big influences and the creation of Steven Universe wouldn't have happened without the anime. So given that Steven Universe was given critical acclaim when it was shown on CN, I think CN should returned the favor by allowing Utena to be shown on Toonami Rewind. It would be symbolic for Toonami to broadcast the anime that greatly influence Steven Universe.)
I want toonami rewind to also pick up Magic Knight Rayearth (both tv and ova) since Fox kids stole the rights from them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

To be fair, DBZ was a bit of a crutch for classic Toonami, as well. The more things change.

The block probably couldn't survive, in the past or in the present, without long-running franchise shows like these to serve as pillars of the schedule. Especially these days, when typical anime episode counts are lower than ever, longer shows are important to avoid constant schedule churn. It's just a part of how the block stays alive.

But speaking of the whole crutch thing, we're approaching an interesting point in Toonami's history: after running on the block for over ten years, Naruto Shippuden is only about ten episodes away from ending. It's been the most reliable point of their schedule for a decade. There's no indication of what will happen when it ends. Will they just rerun the entire thing from episode 1? Will they move on to Boruto? Will they bring in a new long-runner like Fairy Tail or something? I think the answer could tell us a lot about the current fortunes of the block.

That is an interesting point. Toonami isn't shy about reruns, so it isn't impossible for them to restart it. They are going back even further with original Naruto for that nostalgia block, so I don't think they are worried about old episodes going stale. On the other hand, they dropped Boruto. It seemed a little weird to me to have both Shippuden and Boruto running at the same time back then since it was like they were acknowledging that Shippuden was effectively reruns of years old episodes, but at the same time, anybody truly watching it for the first time through Toonami had a reason to skip Boruto to avoid spoilers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2