• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN and the industry's stance on fansubs (ANN official on P5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
A couple notes I'd like to make. This is an official ANN statement, not my opinion.

1) ANN doesn't have any "position" on fansub ethics whatsoever. ANN has never made an official statement about whether or not fansubs are right or wrong.

2) The opinions of ANN's writers and editors, including both Zac and myself, are our opinions only and do not represent Anime News Network itself. Obviously our opinions influence ANN's policies somewhat, but the opinions of ANN's staff range from very pro-fansub to very-anti-fansub depending on the staff member.

3) The ANN forum policy about fansubs is that we do not permit anyone to link to fansubs or promote them. This is mostly a legal matter as fansubs are illegal, and allowing people to link to fansubs would leave us legally liable. Posters are allowed to talk about fansubs, fansub issues, and etc, as long as those discussions do not aid other readers in finding obtaining fansubs. Anything that can be seen as helpful in the hunt for fansubs probably won't be allowed, however moderators and administrators are allowed some discretion in the matter.

This ends the official part of my response.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion on fansubs: Believe it or not, I'm "pro-fansub." I appreciate fansubs for what they do for fans, I appreciate fansubs for what they've done for fandom and the industry over the years, I appreciate that fansubs are sometimes useful (but not necessary) tools for ANN's staff to use for their writing, and I appreciate that fansubs allow me to sample anime before it is available commercially.

I don't download nearly as many fansubs as many people, in fact, I probably only download 5-10 series a year, and I typically only watch the first 2-5 episodes of a series. I watched the first 10 or so episodes of Blood+ and stopped when it was licensed.

Personally, I aprove of "ethical" fansubbing, and highly disapprove of those that continue to make and watch fansubs after they are commercially available (or announced as "licensed" for that matter). This however leaves the unfortunate situation of fans in markets that don't get domestic anime releases. The hard ass in me says "if you can watch an English fansub, you can watch and English-subbed R1 DVD release," but I acknowledge that there are expenses (and in some countries laws) that get in the way... Fansubs aren't (or at least shouldn't be) meant for you to save money, but the costs of importing R1 DVDs can be exorbitant (especially in countries with lower incomes. It'd be nice if fansub groups sprung up in those countries and made fansubs in the local language, fansubs that wouldn't "pollute" the R1 market.

This following part is my professional and researched opinion (as opposed to my opinion as a fan, but I don't see the two as contradictory. My opinion on this is highly debatable, even I myself am not certain that I'm right, any industry insider who tells you he knows 100% that fansubs are good/bad for fans & industry is full of bollocks.

Despite the fact that I appreciate and like fansubs I believe that fansubs have passed the point of being a net positive for North American fans, Most shows worth watching are licensed and release within 2 years or so, and no one (except professionals who watch anime for work related purposes) needs to see the newest anime today. It's impatient and immature, what's being released on DVD today would be good enough for anyone had they not already watched it fansubbed 2 years ago (vicious cycle there). Thanks to the Internet, fansubs have proliferated to the point where 100,000s of thousands of people download them, and unfortunately most of these people do not contribute financially to the anime industry by buying DVDs (or renting, or watching on TV). Despite the good intentions of the fansubbers, the net effect is more or less the same as piracy. Yes, there is some good effect, as new people are introduced to the media and some go on to buy DVDs/merch, but I beleive that it is likely that more people end up not buying (or watching on tv, or renting) because they're able to get it online for free. The reason this is bad for fans is simple, anime is not a highly profitable business in Japan or North America, and less money will eventually mean less anime and/or cheaper production values. This last part is why what's bad for the industry is essentially bad for fans.

Despite this, companies can't expect anime fans to stop making and watching fansubs. Much like other industries, the anime industry needs to adapt.

I yearn for the day when fansubs aren't needed, when professionally made, commercially released English language anime (subbed at least) is available at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast. Unfortunately, as I've stated elsewhere, the hurdles in the way of this happening are enormous.

Professionally, and personally, I believe this would be the best resolution to the fansub debate, making it such that there would be no use/need for fansubs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Zac's recent "what would it take" question, I think I kinda segue pretty well into the question above. You can be pro-fansub and still want to see a situation where you no longer download fansubs.

By asking what it would take to get people to stop watching fansubs, he is in no way espousing an anti-fansub opinion. He's merely asking people who watch fansubs under what circumstances would they stop. He'll of course present answers that espouse a variety of different opinions on the matter from "I won't stop ever" to "I'll stop as soon as... "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for "alienating readers" that, IMHO, is a load of bullcrap. Would you respect us if we pandered to the opinion of the week? As I said, as an organization, ANN has no opinion on the matter, so anyone who feels alienated by ANN is reading too much into things. As individuals, and journalists, those of us who write editorial content will espouse our own opinions. If you feel alienated by a writer who's opinion you don't agree with, I'm sorry but I'm not going to censor that writer.

-t
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I yearn for the day when fansubs aren't needed, when professionally made, commercially released English language anime (subbed at least) is available at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast. Unfortunately, as I've stated elsewhere, the hurdles in the way of this happening are enormous.

Professionally, and personally, I believe this would be the best resolution to the fansub debate, making it such that there would be no use/need for fansubs.

What hurdles are you speaking about? What would it take for your idea to happen? I ask because I honestly know spit about anime in terms of the professional industry as a business. Obviously you do, it's your job so you obviously have more knowledge then most of us in terms of anime as a business and industry. That being said I don't really know what hurdles there are that you were referring to. I'm sure I can guess some but I'd like it if maybe you could explain that part more (instead of just making wild guesses on my part). I found your idea rather insightful and was just curious what it would take for that, or something similar, to happen.
nikandros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to discuss ANN's and the industry's stance on fansubs (and not their legality). Reading some of the previous Answermans, I just can't help but notice that Zac's attitude toward fansubs range from violent to lynch mob (obviously exaggerating and embellishing) even though it's rather obvious that he, along with much of ANN's staff do indeed watch fansubs, possibly all the way back to the days of the tape fansub.

Now, what makes this discussion sort of different is that watching the Haruhi viral vid episodes, they basically chastise all their current and potential fans that they specifically market to and say that fansubs are bad and that the average fan should be ashamed that they have already downloaded their product before they have released it legitimately.

Now, what I don't understand is that why both ANN and Kadokawa/Ban Dai choose to alienate their fanbase by telling them that they're basically stealing (once again, not a discussion on whether or not it is). Consider who the anime industry is largely marketed toward, the wired/wireless generation, who grew up around the internet, MySpace, Wikipedia, iPod, YouTube, etc. This generation cannot sit idly and have their product prepackaged and spoonfed to them and would rather be engaged with the product. Now, I understand that Kadokawa/Ban Dai has done that by having the marketing campaign involving voice actor polls and such, but turning around and saying that the very people they're marketing toward are thieves is quite counterproductive. I understand that ANN is sponsored by the anime industry and has to take a similar stance as an entity, but it's equally unsettling when a fellow fan is put on the podium and says that what the rest of the fandom's doing is bad. Doing so is just a lose/lose situation. Not only do you gain mistrust from fans, but you also get a lot of negative buzz, which, unlike bad publicity, actually deters people.

Now, what am I trying to say? I'm saying that ANN and the industry can have an anti-fansub stance, but to be so vocal about it would only alienate fans rather than attract them.

That's my rant. Please, discuss. And please, absolutely no discussion concerning the legality of fansubs.

My take is that companies should support fansubs. It helps to reach new markets. Easy access to content early on allows for people to find what they like initially while waiting for subs and dubs.

I watch a lot of fan subbed anime, not exclusively of course, but there are times when its all I can get.

Right now im strapped for cash, but it has ALWAYS been my stance to buy content I enjoy when I can afford it. That is what I do, even if i have the media on my hard drive downloaded at times illegally, I make it a point to support writers and producers of good content. It is the only moral and right thing to do.

So I don't consider it stealing, I consider it testing the market and finding whats good. I will say that when I do have a job and money coming in(this isn't always the case due to reasons out side of my control) I try to help markets that I find worth spending my money on. Of course I am also the type that prefers, if possible, spending a little bit extra and getting something local rather then going to a store and buying it where its more expensive.

I know the US government and the companies disagree with how I do things, and prefer that everyone wait to buy their content, I find that goes against capitalism. Just blindly buying everything is bad, and since a lot of anime never makes it onto channels for a lot of American viewers to watch or is on at odd hours, fan subs and streaming video is how many of us are forced to check content. As soon as the media is more available to preview it will be less necessary to do this.

But to alienate the fan subbers and the viewers of said material means the market expands slower, as more people are willing to try something new if it costs them nothing to do it, and many fan subbers are huge fans and buy the content legit and sub it on their own private time so that the anime multinational community can enjoy it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
nikandros wrote:
My take is that companies should support fansubs. It helps to reach new markets.

Dude, legitimate companies couldn't and shouldn't support illegal acts, even if the latter might help their business (and even that is questionable and debatable as we can't test "what ifs" in real life). They may choose to keep an eye closed but shall not promote piracy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nikandros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
nikandros wrote:
My take is that companies should support fansubs. It helps to reach new markets.

Dude, legitimate companies couldn't and shouldn't support illegal acts, even if the latter might help their business (and even that is questionable and debatable as we can't test "what ifs" in real life). They may choose to keep an eye closed but shall not promote piracy.

My stance was more on fan subs of unlicensed material not something with company backing.

Also, while I support piracy to an extent(because a lot of things produced by large corporations are rehashes with totally predictable plots or bland and uninspired garbage) it is something that I think morally if you are to support it you must, realistically be willing to buy good content if at all possible. Otherwise you are endorsing the continued production of garbage. The intelligent pirate is one who does it to help wade through the garbage river that is popular media. I put myself firmly in that category as I have many times downloaded pirated music and then later bought the full album when I found that I liked it. On the other hand before I really started pirating material I would buy a full CD after hearing one half way decent song only to find out it wasn't worth the product price.

Since we obviously cannot accurately tell big media companies what is good and what is bad when they bundle many things together such as CDs it is hard for them to grasp the consumer market. Luckily things are changing with products such as Itunes that allow you to purchase just one or two songs after you hear a sample but that has only come about after I lost a steady income so I cant support that. Still I digress, the pirating of some content to test the waters and see if it is worth paying for is how you become an educated consumer. Blindly buying all content is just as wrong as pirating all content and never paying for any of it. There needs to be some sort of balance to reach ethical consumerism imo.

Of course, if anime production companies give us all a means of previewing the first few episodes of the anime, then thats more realistic, but even then, that could lead to a lot of anime with great production at the start of the series and then have it fall away to utter garbage in the middle and end. Still, the companies that produce anime and offer the consumer no way of viewing it before purchase are wrong. That goes against all morality and ethics in the business. After all, how many of us would buy a vase or table with out a picture of how it looks, going only by the store description of what it is? Consumers have a right to see and get a taste of what the actual item they are purchasing is before committing to a buy. That is a right I feel we should possess, and if it takes something such as a little piracy to get it then we the consumers are doing it on moral grounds and should you be caught doing it should accept the punishment as a form of civil disobedience.

That is my take, I obviously can see the opposing view point, and totally agree that when one is able one should purchase good media. What I disagree with is that fan subs are wrong just because it is piracy. After all, with out piracy, contraband America wouldn't be the nation we are today. We built ourselves up around the revolution by engaging in piracy of English ships, purchase of contraband materials, and usage of untaxed goods.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
My opinion.

Not having a job and being short on funds, fansubbing and piracy have opened to me a world of anime I would've never expirienced... while i feel a little bad watching them i know that when i get the money that i will buy the series and watch it in my house on my big screen TV. whoot.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Regarding Zac's recent "what would it take" question, I think I kinda segue pretty well into the question above. You can be pro-fansub and still want to see a situation where you no longer download fansubs.

I agree. I'm one of those fans that actually feels quite uncomfortable/guilty watching fansubs...and to be honest I get very frustrated having to spend hours on end (sometimes days) just waiting for a 30-minute episode to finish downloading. You can say that I belong to the minority group for which accessibility is a HUGE problem. And no I DON'T have the the credit cards and the money and the courage to brave phishing scams and such to import R1 goods.

So I guess the answer to Zac's question, for me personally, would be:

I'll stop watching fansubs when countries outside R1 can get the same variety of anime on TV and the same anime/manga products licensed/released at the same time as R1. But that, obviously, ain't possible (although I don't see why releases in R4 just has to lag behind for at least half a year for popular shows and sometimes up to 2 or 3 years or never for more obscure ones) and it is also impossible for any non-English fansubs to be of any use in R4. So...

Oh well I buy what I can, when I can...I'm still a hardcore collector even if most of my friends aren't.

I considered mailing this to Answerman but I don't think this would be "passionate" enough Razz though I'm pretty sure there will be others in the same situation as me.

R1 consumers honestly don't know how good they have it! Sad
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I think what it would take, for me, is reasonable parity of service. I'm willing to wait up to several weeks for a quality fansub over a rushjob (although it's rarely necessary to wait more than a day or two), and I would offer official subs the same courtesy. If they could turn around each episode within a month or so of it's broadcast then I would consider that to be competatve.

Fansub delivery is extremely convenience, a simple download in a convenient video format, I would expect the same from any competing official source. Jetstream, for example, does not currently meet this criteria, as it does not work as conveniently, nor across as many platforms as fansubs tend to.

Quality would have to meet or exeed the nearest competative fansub group, in both video quality and translation. This shouldn't be a problem, but surprisingly can be.

Cost is, of course, a sticking point. Fansubs will always be cheaper, unless they figure out some alternative profit method, but I would be willing to pay a fair price for the official product, a dollar or so per episode, perhaps, maybe as much as $2 for the higher quality shows. I wouldn't want extraneous expenses like dubbing to be rolled into my purchase cost.

So those would be my sticking point, when official subs are available withn a month of their Japanese air date, at fansub quality of video and translation, distributed using a non-creepy, convenient system, at an affordable price, then I'd switch form fansubs to official. I think any attempt to harm fansubs before the industry is ready to step up and replace them would do the industry far more harm than good, however.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I think any attempt to harm fansubs before the industry is ready to step up and replace them would do the industry far more harm than good, however.

That is DEFINITELY the case in MY region.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Exactly, AoD allows it too. So what was it AoD was doing to make it more "Anti-fansub" than ANN?

'Anti-fansub' might be better termed as 'pro-purchase.' The fact that some fansubbed titles are indeed discussed doesn't take as much away from AoD as it does from ANN in my opinion. The difference with regard to the exposure of retail goods versus pirated goods between AoD and ANN is pretty striking to me and always has been. ANN's readership mainly seems to focus on purchasing goods only when there's some wholesale sell-off where anime titles are sold at or near the cost of manufacturing and shipping. I'm sorry, but that's just not the same thing as routinely buying anime at or around it's original release for retail or pre-order cost.

The folks at AoD just seem to be much more active supporters of the retail anime market than the folks on ANN and I'm still surprised I'm even being challenged on that. I mean, why do you think most of the market representatives seem to gravitate to AoD and barely ever comment here on ANN? I happen to think it's for the same reason serious consumers also seem to gravitate to AoD; because they take their purchases seriously, and not just as some sort of feel-good afterthought reserved for those with excess cash flow.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't see how how this relates to the Anti-fansub thing. AoD has a lot of focus on the actual releases (mainly DVD, but manga and books as well), but they also have an off-topic forum, a Japanese culture forum, and a video game forum. So the main site is focused on the official releases, but the forums are even more varied than ANN's.

That's actually a big part of my point.

The fansub topics take away less from AoD's total experience because they seem to be responsible for a smaller percentage of AoD's posts, at least in my experience. I'm not saying that AoD is some kind perfect anime forum, in fact it's far from it, but I have always had a lot of respect for how seriously they take their direct support of the industry and I wish we could do the same.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
And yet, he has no problem with people discussing fansubs on his forums.

And neither do I. I'm not expecting zero topics about fansubs, I'm just expecting equal time instead of a lopsided discussion that could only be possible through rampant unchecked piracy. Is that too much to ask? I guess so.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Cost is, of course, a sticking point. Fansubs will always be cheaper, unless they figure out some alternative profit method, but I would be willing to pay a fair price for the official product, a dollar or so per episode, perhaps, maybe as much as $2 for the higher quality shows. I wouldn't want extraneous expenses like dubbing to be rolled into my purchase cost.

I think the official source would USUALLY be better served by charging a price for the service and having a variety of items available, like a channel you pay for. I think people would be more likely to pay $10 for a channel that gets a new episode of 2 of the favorite series each week, rather than $1-2 per episode. Plus, people can look at other things for "free" and during the bad times will be less likely to cancel rather than not paying for anything they don't want to look at when paying "per episode".
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Dax, I don't challenge you on the nature of ANN vs. AoD. However, isn't it a bit unfair to compare percentages when AoD has all these other off-topic, recommendation, and technical forums that ANN lacks? Also, in addition to being rampant pirates and all, ANN's userbase is younger and poorer than AoD's. Now as you've said in the past, being poor isn't an excuse for stealing, but it does explain why a lot of us exercise "smart shopping" with Rightstuf sales and the like. That's better than not buying at all, right? And the age range explains why there aren't as many topics about "never available as digital fansubs" 80s and 90s anime. Actually, if anyone's interested, I was thinking of starting an "I Love The 90s anime" series of topics highlighting the best of each year, because I'd like to discuss the old stuff too, and learn from other forum members about good series I may have missed.

Like I said in my previous post, currently-airing series see more discussion because those are the threads that get started. And like I said on the PGF, even I would like to see fewer topics on the "latest greatest" fansub series, simply because I don't keep up with all or even very many of them.

And I have to ask, if AoD is so great and ANN's users/staff are a bunch of fansub-loving hippies, why not spend your time there instead of here? I don't want to see you go, but if you're so dissatisfied with the community and the nature of the discussions on these forums...well, you get the idea.
vylo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Odd thing I realized today. The only thing fansubs do for me is allow me to see anime faster.

I can watch just about any anime I want with On Demand. And it's free...
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Actually, if anyone's interested, I was thinking of starting an "I Love The 90s anime" series of topics highlighting the best of each year, because I'd like to discuss the old stuff too, and learn from other forum members about good series I may have missed.
This sounds totally awesome. I think it'd be a great thread. I think that the 90's had a lot of great anime, some of which have quality which rivals even the top animes of today. Of course, being old, 90's shows are inferior in some ways (mainly video quality, by this I don't mean drawing quality, but the quality of the image), but when I go back and watch the good ones, I realize that there were some advantages to doing things the old way.

Nowdays in the 2000's, it feels to me like the number of anime studios has ballooned to 5x to 10x the amount that existed in the 90's....and while this allows for way more anime to be produced, most at fairly good quality, some of the lower-budget anime being made today is cringe-inducing in how cheap they are. Average 90's anime will tend to have better animation quality (more frames) than the average anime of today, at least that is what I feel. They often don't looks as cheap, they just look old (dust, grain, jitter, etc) and if you don't mind that some 90's anime are still masterpieces in my mind.

Also some 90's anime had better stories and are more interesting than many modern anime. Today, it feels like a large proportion (not all) of new anime is a mindless rehash of cliched things, but maybe that's just me.

At the same time though I can't say I'm too fond of 80's anime. For one thing, most of us are probably too young to have been alive to watch as much of it. And from what I've seen, most 80's anime are simply too old to compete visually with the modern animes of today, although there are some exceptions.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
ANN's readership mainly seems to focus on purchasing goods only when there's some wholesale sell-off where anime titles are sold at or near the cost of manufacturing and shipping. I'm sorry, but that's just not the same thing as routinely buying anime at or around it's original release for retail or pre-order cost.

The folks at AoD just seem to be much more active supporters of the retail anime market than the folks on ANN and I'm still surprised I'm even being challenged on that.

Zalis116 wrote:
Also, in addition to being rampant pirates and all, ANN's userbase is younger and poorer than AoD's.

Source please? Are those personal observation / speculation or based on some hard evidence?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8