• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Reissue Akira on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
Those of us who aren't fortunate enough to afford a PS3 or Blu Ray player.

You can get a Blu-ray player for under $100 these days...they aren't that expensive...

Yes, but a half-way decent HDTV still costs several hundred dollars. Blu ray on a cheap TV is a waste of time.

I guess it's great that they're releasing it, since Akira is an excellent movie, but it's still fairly easy to find. Now if someone reissued End of Evangelion I would be happy.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Despite owning this in that out-of-style SD format, I'm going to hold off on a purchase until 2057.

By then, the re-release "remastered" (but lacks extras), the re-release re-release "remastered" (this time with extras), the "Golden Era" release (of a re-release) featuring extra extras, and the "Ultimate Director's Cut (a re-release of a re-release, remastered with start-to-finish production notes, booklet (signed, though most of those who worked on the project are long dead!), OLED box whose art changes based on the lighting in the room, and holographic "ad" display to remind people it's on the shelf) are first released leaving the "Vintage" version available, which is how the anime was first originally released on DVD.

Milk. It does a checking account good.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
What's the point really, the DVD now is dirt cheap, and even if it is OOP, if people don't own it by now it's not like they're ever going to, I mean the movie is a year older than me, why reissue it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
jrenamich:
Quote:
1. They actually have a subtitle track and not a dubtile track like they had on the Blu-ray .

Actually, if you click on the signs option, they make some stupid joke about Tenchi Muyo.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
I've been searching high and low for a copy of the first pressing(the LE) of the blu-ray release, since I got a BD player a few weeks ago. No such luck. Confused

Keep an eye on eBay. I found a copy for $35 last year Very Happy
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
Those of us who aren't fortunate enough to afford a PS3 or Blu Ray player.

You can get a Blu-ray player for under $100 these days...they aren't that expensive...

Yes, but a half-way decent HDTV still costs several hundred dollars. Blu ray on a cheap TV is a waste of time.

They only said Blu-ray player. There are plenty of people out there who have an HDTV but no Blu-ray player.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
If you want the complete set of Akira just buy the collectors set on DVD and the beautiful High Def copy of Akira on Bluray..this re-release nonsense is a waste of time.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks Bandai for this announcement. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2