• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Shippuuden (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first half of the first Kakaishi Chronicles episode, but Obito's voice is absolutely terrible. He sounds like a grown man, not a Naruto-esque character.
Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
For me Naruto Shippuuden is starting to suffer from "the anime not being as good as the manga" which is hard to do for me. I like watching action more so then looking at action frames (sorta speak). Im not sure if its the choice of colors they choose for the characters, the fighting physics, or maybe the fact I know whats going to happen but im becoming un-interested for the time being.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Smoke wrote:
For me Naruto Shippuuden is starting to suffer from "the anime not being as good as the manga" which is hard to do for me.

Starting? This anime sucked since episode 60 or so and only recently it's finally becoming interesting again with all of the events involving Sasuke.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Smoke wrote:
For me Naruto Shippuuden is starting to suffer from "the anime not being as good as the manga" which is hard to do for me.

Starting? This anime sucked since episode 60 or so and only recently it's finally becoming interesting again with all of the events involving Sasuke.

I wouldn't say that- I started on it at episode 89 when the Hulu stream started, and although there have been dull bits, it's a generally high-quality story. The use of original storylines fleshes out things the manga skims over, and allows them to take a no-B.S. approach to the major fights. Sasuke vs. Deidaria took 2 episodes, with some spillover into episodes immediately before and after. You don't get that kind of succinctness in Dragonball, and I hear Bleach these days is even worse then DBZ was at it's nadir.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
You can't possibly compare bleach to dbz...
I've been following Bleach, One piece and Naruto from episode 1 up to the latest and Naruto would be rated the worst in my ranks. Why? About 150 episodes to take a friend back is just too much for me. Since what happened to Sasuke, shippuden's drama was all focused on Naruto and his best friend's temporary loss, and while the characters were meant to be more mature in Shippuden, that doesn't seem to be the case. Shippuden just don't get it, the characters' jokes are getting really, extremely, old. Guy-sensei and Lee are good examples.
And yea, been a long boring way until we finally got back to Sasuke and the story is finally becoming interesting again.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
About 150 episodes to take a friend back is just too much for me.

Not that I'm excusing the show's initial bad pacing (haven't gotten past ep. 99 to see how it's been lately), but that's not really all they're doing.
egoist wrote:

Actually, you can. In a lot of ways. Just like with One Piece and Naruto.
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Sasuke vs. Deidaria took 2 episodes...

Really? Man, I have to get through that last filler arc as fast I can. That fight is one of my favorites in the whole series. I know that they also got Norio Matsumoto to do one episode too, so yeah, I'm totally pumped up to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
egoist wrote:

Actually, you can. In a lot of ways. Just like with One Piece and Naruto.

Yes of course. Just like you can compare coke to water, both are liquids and both can quell your thirst.
But everything in this world is comparable and what I meant there is that a comparison between them would be ridiculous and a waste of time to read.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't complain about the time it takes (although the Naruto after Sasuke thing got a little stale. Maybe they should have done something where he gives up on him for a while and then a change of events forces him to change his mind?). But for me it's the combat physics. It just seems so....stagnant at times. Take the Naruto vs. Orochimaru fight, where spoiler[Naruto basically just sits there most of the time], or the Asuma vs. white-haired guy from the filler arc (isn't it strange, how their fight in the opening to the show is more exciting than the real thing? (That seems to be a recurring theme.) I don't want it to be rushed, but not sluggish, either. A prime example of how combat physics should be is the Kakashi/Shikamaru vs. Kakuzuz/Hidan. That fight wasn't nonstop, but it was still thrilling. A more constant example of Naruto combat is back in part one, Sasuke vs. Orochimaru in the Forest of Death. That's one of my favorite episodes from the first season To me, combat in the first season so far outshines combat in Shippuden.

Overall, though, I enjoy Shippuden. My clock is set for when the next episode will be released.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 126 is up, and... well, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's mainly getting ducks in a row. Some stuff happens that's clearly bridging the gap to the body of the arc. There are also some scenes that are unfortunately tinged with lame. Itachi tries to be Dracula by shooting bats from his cape and looks dumb. Tsunade winds up puking in a back alley and looks dumb and weak. The writers sketch Hinata into the background of the restaurant scene and get dope-slapped for poor continuity. And the next ep preview suggests a Jiriya flashback up next. This annoys me because we just got done with a Kakashi flashback, and there's already a lot of plot happening NOW. I know the writers want to get mileage out of Jiriya spoiler[since, like Orochimaru, he'll be out of the picture soon], but I wind up waving my hand annoyedly waiting for them to get on with the Akatsuki storyline.

The problem is, when they do I'll probably be disappointed that it's being rushed through. If you ask me, Kimimoto botched the plotline rather severely some time back. I'm not sure when exactly he crossed the line, but since the Chunin exams he's just been adding more and more characters and organizations, to the point where he has a logjam of plotlines on his hands. The hunt for the tailed beasts is developed only in the anime- the manga just skims over it. The Akatsuki have already been reduced from an organization of Badassery to an Organization of Minibosses. And now Sasuke's got his own team, which will doubtlessly have to have their own subplots. It reminds me somewhat of X-Men during the later days of Chris Claremont's tenure- except that Kishimoto doesn't seem to like just leaving threads hanging, opting instead for quick cleanups. There's an interview circulating from when Shippuden was new where he talks about all sorts of goals with the story, but most of them have failed to happen since he spent so much time mopping up this mess.

Still a good story, I just wish it was less broad and more deep.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, BellosTheMighty, but to less severe a degree. To me, most of the filler arc could have been just done away with. Focusing on some of the tailed beasts was actually interesting, though, because like was said the manga just skims. But in terms of deep the Jiraiya story does exactly that. I mean, how much do we know about him? Obviously you've read the manga, so you should have an idea why building up Jiraiya's story has benefits. Myself, I eat this stuff up. Not so much with what happened with Asuma, but the Kakashi Chronicles and this makes what is to come more anticipated. But, knowing what comes up in the next few episodes, this seems a little untimely. That and the Kakashi Chronicles could have been done in place of a lot of filler, or even back before Shippuden.

Oh, and the drunken Tsunade part? I nearly split my gut on that one, because it was so unexpected and yet should have been expected, knowing her habits. It doesn't make her look weak...it just emphasizes some of her negative (and more realistic) qualities. Tsunade drinks. And because of that she's bound to overdo it.

Oh, and they're not bats they're crows that Itachi uses in his genjutsu. It was in the manga too, and it seems to be a recurring theme.
halloween_reject

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It is okay but it has some "fillers" even the kakashi chronicles are not to bad but Obito's voice is BAD!! Neutral
Bigtom88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the manga better, there is no fillers in the Manga. I'm also waiting for the English version of it to show.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 129 up on Hulu right now.

Observation #1: Moooooooooo...

Observation #2: The show is half over before they get to the OP. Eh? 0_o;;;;

Observation #3: Anyone else find it a bit unsettling that Jiraiya would corral the services of a woman, only to leave suddenly and spend the rest of the night terrorizing her husband? Sure, sure, it's all just illusions and stuff, but still- it seems like dirty pool.

Observation #4: "Flog you into frogs"? I know wordplays get hopelessly lost in translation, but what? What did he say in the original?

Observation #5: Chibi Sakura in ED. Wai. Anime smile

Observation #6: Omake has random blink-and-miss-em cameos of characters from way back in part 1, sweet. Most of them are actually dead- what is this festival, a Japanese equivalent of El Dia de los Muertos?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
So, episode 129 up on Hulu right now.

Observation #6: Omake has random blink-and-miss-em cameos of characters from way back in part 1, sweet. Most of them are actually dead- what is this festival, a Japanese equivalent of El Dia de los Muertos?

Probably an Obon festival, which would be the equivalent of Dia de los Muertos. However, unlike, Dia de los Muertos, Obon lasts quite a bit longer and the time it takes place varies, usually July-August, depending on the region.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
I am anticipating next week's episode because it looks like the conclusion or episode before the conclusion of the current Pain/Nagato vs. Jiraiya fight. I suspect they will begin fillers for several months before or after the upcoming spoiler[Sasuke vs. Itachi figh]t. The reason why I say this is because the fights after the one mentioned in the spoiler are spoiler[Kirabi vs. Sasuke followed by Naruto vs. Pain/Nagato].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 62