• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I have a bad habit of posting late at night. Anyway, this past weekend I was browsing through a local Best Buy, and they had a free FUNimation DVD sampler. I snagged it because one of the episodes was, as you probably guessed, Basilisk. I gotta say the show started off with an impressive bang. The first fight was incredible as I wasn't expecting that level of quality in animation. To me it was also a throwback to Ninja Scroll which is a huge plus in my book. Also I love the opening (usually what hooks me into a show, almost like a sixth sense). Now here's why I'm hesitating. Now I'm not sure if this is because of the show itself or because of the dub, but the romance angle fell flat. I think it's because the VA playing Danjo had no emotion when he spoke. So at some point I think I need to give the Japanese track a shot. Based on how the episode ended, it also seems that the whole story has already been laid out (in terms of what everything will lead up to and how it will end). If that's the case then I find that to be disappointing. However it seems there's enough to keep me hooked in. Just curious from those who have or are watching it what they think of it and if I should lay my gripes to rest. Oh, and Hattori Hanzo looks like a total badass in this show.

Well the manga is alot more interesting than the anime, once again GONZO manages to take and ruin another good title. I would suggest that you read the manga right away! Though i do warn you it is quite graphic, both in sexual scenes and violence.

And hattori Hanzo is a badass no matter what show he is in, rember that.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It's gonna be on IFC. I would watch it but I don't know how to get to IFC. I mean, I do have cable but I have no luck getting there. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
deepon05

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
This anime is sweet. There was a post earlier sayin its like Romeo and Juliet with ninjas, and their totally right. The action awesome and twisted at the same time. Everyone who watches anime would love this series. Theres about 26 episodes by the way. IFC is on Dish Network for those that didn't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So for a while I had been wrestling with the thought of "should I give Basilisk a shot?" Well after debating with myself, I finally decided that simply because it reminds me of Ninja Scroll it would be a dis-service to myself to not buy it. I'm so glad I made this decision. I may only be on the 3rd DVD but at the moment,I think Basilisk is one of the best series in the history of forever (total bias fanboy statement I know).

First of all the artbox is flat out amazing. I don't think I've ever purchased such an impressive release. A completely wooden box that opens when you slide up one of the sides, revealing the DVDs. People who have bought this series know what the content is, and I gotta say FUNimation truly went all out. I really hope that the show is doing well because FUNi has made an excellent presentation (I don't know where I would find sales figures).

Onto the actual show. I do realize that the series is predictable (only in terms of it's overall direction), certain elements are rather weak, and in a way it's pretty cheezy (but in a good way). I have a friend who's watching Gundam X at the moment which I loved, and he said to me "You really like the hokey Gundam series." For some reason I feel that statement applies here. The show has great production values, and it's handled very well.

First thing that struck me is how quickly characters get killed off. And not only that, but you can never tell who is gonna killed when. Most have/had potential to be great spoiler[(I'm looking at you Yashimaru and Okoi)] and while it looks like they would be shoe ins for the long haul, they barely get a 2-3 episodes worth of time. It really adds to the tension of the whole series as it really goes out of it's way to prove that not one person is safe in this series no matter how cool they are. And that's the other great thing about the characters, while some get very little screentime there is still something that will make you care about them even if it is just superficial spoiler[(once again Yashimaru and Jubei who I thought was really cool).] Even though you learn next to nothing about them you can still say "Oh well he/she had a really cool ninja power and I'd like to see more of...what?! They killed him/her?" Like I said, superficial but it still makes you care.

Speaking of which here's a fun game. Get a bunch of people together who have never seen the series and have everyone bet on how long each character is going to live. The results would be surprising (and it'd be a great marathon).

Also characters are remarkably distinct. No two characters look alike, even all of the females despite them all being gorgeous. Sure some are incredibly ugly, but it just makes the cast all the more varied. And even though the characters are so distinct, they all look like they belong in the same world (last time I saw this achieved at such a high level in a series was FMA).

In terms of the story, I know exactly what's going to happen but even so I'm stil kept on the edge of my seat and there are certain characters I'm rooting for. In my opinion it is told very well, and even though Gennosuke and Oboro are the main characters everyone else gets a enough attention to where those two aren't the only ones you care about and they don't overpower everyone else (very uncommon). I even enjoy the vernacular used. When spoiler[Tenzen (who is such a great villain) is about to kill Jubei, instead of saying a standard "Prepare to die!" or something else along those lines he opts to say "What do the stars say now Jubei? What do they speak of your fate?"] To me that is incredibly poetic and a much better way to say essentially the same thing. I don't know why, but the dialouge really hooks me in. Even in the quiet moments I can still feel the tension in the series as it never gives you a moment to relax.

I've been watching this series dubbed, and I gotta say the cast is very strong. Akeginu and Kagerou sound incredibly sexy (rightfully so), Tenzen is fantastic even though there is a point or two when he sounds a little weak but it's forgiveable, and I'm a sucker for anything Laura Bailey does as I believe she brings genius to just about any role she takes. Even Monica Rial surprised me (never watched Burst Angel), as this is the first time I've heard her churn out a very womanly sounding voice as opposed to her usual roles. Really there are only 2 weak links. Udono sounded incredibly cheezy. It was as if he was a throwback to old dub work, which may have been the point since he was comic relief but even so it was still subpar compared to everyone else and even out of place at times. Granted the performance has grown on me but it still comes off as not fitting with everyone else. spoiler[I'm just glad he got killed in the 4th episode. But Jingoro needs to get killed.] The other weak link is Gennosuke. Although my opinion on him is very different. I think he sounds like a cliche handsome prince, and while that bothers me it still works. I'm very up and down with the performance, sometimes he's lacking (particularly in his romantic banter with Oboro) and in other instances he sounds great. I think part of the issue is that so far Gennosuke has kept one tone throughout, so I have yet to hear Troy Baker's range with the character. My gut tells me I will feel better about him as the series progresses.

I'm just taken with how romanticized this series is. It also downright evil and cruel to it's characters (no one gets to be happy). I guess how much that appeals/affects you depends on how much of a romantic you are. The best way I've been able to sum up this series is that it's "so Japanese." I really love this show and have never been so satisfied in a very long time. It's a show I think everyone should watch, because even at it's most superficial it's a top notch series.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to completely agree with you on your opinion of Basilisk except that my opinion is solely on the Dub. I haven't been able to watch the Japanese Dub as I viewed Basilisk on the Channel Razer. However the character I rooted for the most was Kisaragi Saemon. Thats mainly due to their encounter when spoiler[Saemon is disguised as Tenzen. At this point in the series and earlier on when Saemon is disguised as Nenki Saemon is the only character to know both sides of the same story. He sees that both sides are suffering from this conflict but understands that nothing now can stop it. Especially his encounter with Akeginu when he is around her for quite a while. ] He was my favourite character in the entire series and thoughspoiler[ I was sad to see him die, his death] was fitting to his ninja ability. Another thing I noticed and enjoyed was that almost every spoiler[character death was caused by their own ninja technique] which I found very unique to this series. Overall this was an amazing series, something epic and different, definitely something everyone should watch.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% about characters dying randomly and too quickly. Yeah the series is based on the two groups killing each other, but when you go to the lengths to make everyone seem equally important and then just annihilate half of them in an episode it makes it really hard to care about the characters. I found that the characters I liked (Yashimaru, the guy with the sickles, spiderman, and a few others) only saw a little action and died (not quite so for the guy with the sickles but he met an equally irritating fate) and anyone i hated (the slug-man and Nenki for two) lasted an unbearably long time. It made me appreciate characters I wouldn't have otherwise cared much for (particularly Saemon) but I want to be able to see some people with cool powers not get killed after one fight.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
EXACTLY, the character that I like A LOT are already dead by ep. 5 (spiderman, wire dude, and FAT MAN) they were the only people I liked and died WAY too fast. Now (I'm following it on IFC) the only other character I seem to like is Big boobie girl and she is captured right now and things don't boe well for her. (Although the next episode preview shows she has some special ability) and the scythe guy whos breath sicle power thing is cool. I like this show a lot but the charcter I like are already gone......so I don't know if I want to continue with it or not. (Of course I am no matter what)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching it a couple of weeks ago myself, I watched it japanese dubbed, and I gotta agree, it's a great show. It took a fairly common theme (ninja clans) and a fairly common scenerio (romeo and juliet) and threw some interesting twists and spins and it ended up coming out as a great show.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the second volume episodes about the siblings. The fourth volume's flashback episode is one of my favorites. I will agree that the characters get killed off before they are properly introduced and wish there were more scenes that took place before the series begins. I could never get into the Ninja Scroll film or series, and actually prefer Basilisk. I'm glad that Funimation released the slipcase editions with the neat textured covers. It's too bad that the image falls to pieces (gets all splotchy) in the darker scenes since these DVDs tend to have a high dark ratio.
slow_moe_504

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I like Basilisk so far, from what I am seeing the story could have been over already. I just don't like the way everyone is dieing. The story started not to good and it is getting good. Then it's going down hill again. Im just not happy that no one gets to be happy. I think the story could have been a little better then what it is now. I like it so far, I bought the first vol and it was good and bad. Since I started it I might as well finish it. I love it cause the fighting is so hardcore. Very Happy
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Well Basilisk is a tragedy, nothing good is supposed to come out of tragedy and happiness definitely isn't an end result of tragedy either. Thats why this serves as a modern medium for Romeo and Juliet. If I were teaching Shakespear to a high school class I would definitely use Basilisk as a way to make it appeal more towards youth. But yeah main point, tragedies aren't supposed to have happy endings.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
slow_moe_504

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well Basilisk is a tragedy, nothing good is supposed to come out of tragedy and happiness definitely isn't an end result of tragedy either. Thats why this serves as a modern medium for Romeo and Juliet. If I were teaching Shakespear to a high school class I would definitely use Basilisk as a way to make it appeal more towards youth. But yeah main point, tragedies aren't supposed to have happy endings.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Well I agree with you about that. I just wish the story could have went a little better. Like you say tragediies supposed to have happy endings. I hope this one does, cause at the rate they are going It doesn't look to good.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
I would use Romeo X Juliet, when it comes out, as a medium for tragedy. Although it looks super fantasy and everything, the base story would stay the same so it'll work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Zork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I would ever watch Basilisk because I just don't see the point in it. The ads and trailers I have seen for the show seem to imply that love cannot conquer hatred and that the two ninja clans, even though seemingly manipulated by outside political forces, will kill each other off in especially gruesome ways.

Why watch an anime with such a depressing storyline?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
I don't think I would ever watch Basilisk because I just don't see the point in it. The ads and trailers I have seen for the show seem to imply that love cannot conquer hatred and that the two ninja clans, even though seemingly manipulated by outside political forces, will kill each other off in especially gruesome ways.

Why watch an anime with such a depressing storyline?

You should really give Basilisk a shot. The ads do tend to showcase the violence and killing in the show but if you give it a chance I think you'll find your initial reactions wrong.

blind_assassin wrote:
I agree 100% about characters dying randomly and too quickly. Yeah the series is based on the two groups killing each other, but when you go to the lengths to make everyone seem equally important and then just annihilate half of them in an episode it makes it really hard to care about the characters

I actually thought it was easy to care about the characters. Sure some of them get crossed off the list early but others stick around and we learn more about them. Basilisk isn't the type of show where characterization is the focus though. You can't forget that nearly all of them want to be fighting. The Iga and Kouga have hated each other for 400 years. These people have dreamed of the day when the ban on warfare would end. They have to kill or be killed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4