• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail TV Anime's 3rd Year Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I like shonen anime, but I could not get past first few episodes since the concept is so derivative in both idea and visualization.

While One Piece graphic/drawing is nothing original and comes from 1970s styling, at the time when that manga appeared back in 1997 there was no any trace of use of that style in any big scale project.

But when Fairy Tail appeared after One Piece already got to the fame, this move did not look classy.

Once I will be over with this tasteless decision by Fairy Tail's mangaka, then maybe I will be able to enjoy the show.

The biting of One Piece's art style wouldn't bug me as much if Mishima were a new and inexperienced creator. But this is his third series, and his previous ones did not use this art style. Changing your style to imitate a more popular one is a pretty cheap move in my book.

But what really bugs me about Fairy Tail is the fact that the four main characters are also the four least interesting members of the guild, at least to me. There's all these delightful weirdos in the guild who get constantly pushed to the background so Natsu can run around being the most generic shonen protagonist there is. It just feels like the series has a lot of squandered potential.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
I like shonen anime, but I could not get past first few episodes since the concept is so derivative in both idea and visualization.

While One Piece graphic/drawing is nothing original and comes from 1970s styling, at the time when that manga appeared back in 1997 there was no any trace of use of that style in any big scale project.

But when Fairy Tail appeared after One Piece already got to the fame, this move did not look classy.

Once I will be over with this tasteless decision by Fairy Tail's mangaka, then maybe I will be able to enjoy the show.

The biting of One Piece's art style wouldn't bug me as much if Mishima were a new and inexperienced creator. But this is his third series, and his previous ones did not use this art style. Changing your style to imitate a more popular one is a pretty cheap move in my book.

But what really bugs me about Fairy Tail is the fact that the four main characters are also the four least interesting members of the guild, at least to me. There's all these delightful weirdos in the guild who get constantly pushed to the background so Natsu can run around being the most generic shonen protagonist there is. It just feels like the series has a lot of squandered potential.

Honestly it's not just the art style, the whole Fairy Tail universe feels like someone was trying to re-create the success of One Piece. Not exactly mind you, there are a lot of original pieces here and there, but it seems like there was an actual thought into re-working many of the archetypes or story devices that One Piece has. Granted not all of the idea where completely original, but what One Piece did, injecting them with this whimsical adventure, made them feel very fresh.

It's like someone wants to write a basic hero story, and instead of referring to the Archetypal Hero's Journey template, they just copied how Star Wars treated the elements.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Who cares who copied who! Is it enjoyable? That's all that matters.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Honestly it's not just the art style, the whole Fairy Tail universe feels like someone was trying to re-create the success of One Piece. Not exactly mind you, there are a lot of original pieces here and there, but it seems like there was an actual thought into re-working many of the archetypes or story devices that One Piece has. Granted not all of the idea where completely original, but what One Piece did, injecting them with this whimsical adventure, made them feel very fresh.

It's like someone wants to write a basic hero story, and instead of referring to the Archetypal Hero's Journey template, they just copied how Star Wars treated the elements.

lol are you actually treating fairy tail like it has some deep message and is a very complex story. the only way to enjoy fairy tail is by tunring your brain off otherwise you will not enjoy mashima's constant trolling . Cool if you are up to date with the manga which i am you will know what i mean but i enjoy the series nonetheless and the main reason i like the anime so much is it tells mashima's story so much better than he himself has tried to do. the best example being the curent arc which was complete and utter boring crap in manga form but in anime form was quite enjoyable because of the amazing music and great direction because of shinji ishihira injecting something special into the story. despite not having the highest budget around he consistantly manages to put out great stuff with what he has and i admire him for that. im just happy that this director and his team are getting more work because i would have been really sad if it had ended because they kinda waited a bit longer than last time. im just glad the only long running anime that i dont keep dropping in and out of isnt over.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:

lol are you actually treating fairy tail like it has some deep message and is a very complex story. the only way to enjoy fairy tail is by tunring your brain off otherwise you will not enjoy mashima's constant trolling . Cool if you are up to date with the manga which i am you will know what i mean but i enjoy the series nonetheless and the main reason i like the anime so much is it tells mashima's story so much better than he himself has tried to do. the best example being the curent arc which was complete and utter boring crap in manga form but in anime form was quite enjoyable because of the amazing music and great direction because of shinji ishihira injecting something special into the story. despite not having the highest budget around he consistantly manages to put out great stuff with what he has and i admire him for that. im just happy that this director and his team are getting more work because i would have been really sad if it had ended because they kinda waited a bit longer than last time. im just glad the only long running anime that i don't keep dropping in and out of isnt over.

Yeah those dreaded "shift" keys, with their monopoly on capitalizing the letters at the beginning to sentences, how dare they!
I'm up to the Edolas arc, before I dropped it, but know what's going on currently.
I've never been a fan of the phrase "turn you brain off", no, I like my brain and my nervous-system working. And the phrase was said in response to people not liking stupid films, I do like lots of silly, campy nonsense films. But I can like them with my brain still helping me breathe.
Most of your post is about the Anime verses Manga, I have no real comment here, never saw the anime, and I prefer manga medium over the show one. If you like what the director has one with the story, well good for you.

But here is my problem with Fairy Tail's Story: I like One Piece, I really like One Piece, I think it's one of the best adventure stories told in any medium. It has an insane amount of crack-tastic insanity, humor, and awesomeness. And I love it, because the story and the world intelligently constructed to hang all the hilarity off of it.
Fairy Tail is trying to re-create the style of humor and awesomeness that One Piece has going for it. But it has no thought behind the series for the insanity to complement. Everyone one of the main One Piece cast is distinct, different, and throughly developed, and can still be used for humor. The main Fairy Tail ones are stiff, cliché, and bland. At the end of it, Fairy Tail feels soulless.
It was until the Edolas arc, that I finally discovered why I disliked the series so much, even when reading it for mild entertainment. It takes for granted the Audience has seen One Piece and gets the format of it. And it assumes that we will have the same attitudes towards minor inconsistence (because they will be explained later), physics (because there will be an explanation, even if it's "His soul is powering him"), and the draw-dropping powerhouse of inventive action (because again there will be some logic to it, and you know the next fight will be so much better.)
But Fairy Tail never earned that. It isn't that well-constructed, I've seen no hint about forethought story-wise, and the action isn't inventive, it pulls things out of it's ass the whole damn time. It wants to be the enjoyable experience One Piece is, but has none of the thought or soul in it that makes it One Piece so enjoyable.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Famous words when Hollywood copies anime. Laughing
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Famous words when Hollywood copies anime. Laughing

It's not plagiarism until I declare it so on the Internet!
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
Something tells me we're going to be getting some bleach-esque filler arcs where they just cut the action off in the middle and go tell some side-story. Though, tbh, as long as it's better than the Daphne arc, I won't be complaining.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news, can't wait to finally see the S-Class arc animated, good thing I'm not that far into the manga lol.

(still stuck in tower of jellal arc manga wise)
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
daichi383 wrote:

lol are you actually treating fairy tail like it has some deep message and is a very complex story. the only way to enjoy fairy tail is by tunring your brain off otherwise you will not enjoy mashima's constant trolling . Cool if you are up to date with the manga which i am you will know what i mean but i enjoy the series nonetheless and the main reason i like the anime so much is it tells mashima's story so much better than he himself has tried to do. the best example being the curent arc which was complete and utter boring crap in manga form but in anime form was quite enjoyable because of the amazing music and great direction because of shinji ishihira injecting something special into the story. despite not having the highest budget around he consistantly manages to put out great stuff with what he has and i admire him for that. im just happy that this director and his team are getting more work because i would have been really sad if it had ended because they kinda waited a bit longer than last time. im just glad the only long running anime that i don't keep dropping in and out of isnt over.

Yeah those dreaded "shift" keys, with their monopoly on capitalizing the letters at the beginning to sentences, how dare they!
I'm up to the Edolas arc, before I dropped it, but know what's going on currently.
I've never been a fan of the phrase "turn you brain off", no, I like my brain and my nervous-system working. And the phrase was said in response to people not liking stupid films, I do like lots of silly, campy nonsense films. But I can like them with my brain still helping me breathe.
Most of your post is about the Anime verses Manga, I have no real comment here, never saw the anime, and I prefer manga medium over the show one. If you like what the director has one with the story, well good for you.

But here is my problem with Fairy Tail's Story: I like One Piece, I really like One Piece, I think it's one of the best adventure stories told in any medium. It has an insane amount of crack-tastic insanity, humor, and awesomeness. And I love it, because the story and the world intelligently constructed to hang all the hilarity off of it.
Fairy Tail is trying to re-create the style of humor and awesomeness that One Piece has going for it. But it has no thought behind the series for the insanity to complement. Everyone one of the main One Piece cast is distinct, different, and throughly developed, and can still be used for humor. The main Fairy Tail ones are stiff, cliché, and bland. At the end of it, Fairy Tail feels soulless.
It was until the Edolas arc, that I finally discovered why I disliked the series so much, even when reading it for mild entertainment. It takes for granted the Audience has seen One Piece and gets the format of it. And it assumes that we will have the same attitudes towards minor inconsistence (because they will be explained later), physics (because there will be an explanation, even if it's "His soul is powering him"), and the draw-dropping powerhouse of inventive action (because again there will be some logic to it, and you know the next fight will be so much better.)
But Fairy Tail never earned that. It isn't that well-constructed, I've seen no hint about forethought story-wise, and the action isn't inventive, it pulls things out of it's ass the whole damn time. It wants to be the enjoyable experience One Piece is, but has none of the thought or soul in it that makes it One Piece so enjoyable.

I agree wholeheartedly with what your saying but you also have to understand that mashima cant write for s***. Rolling Eyes Oda is the only manga author i find to acctually know what he is doing in terms of all the forshadowing an how he pays it off and all the arc ending emotional fights. mashima is basically trying to do one piece but with bleach level story clarity and that is never good but its still enjoyable just like how i cant stop myself from reading bleach no matter how much it sucks a** right now.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with what your saying but you also have to understand that mashima can't write for s***. Rolling Eyes Oda is the only manga author i find to acctually know what he is doing in terms of all the forshadowing an how he pays it off and all the arc ending emotional fights. mashima is basically trying to do one piece but with bleach level story clarity and that is never good but its still enjoyable just like how i can't stop myself from reading bleach no matter how much it sucks a** right now.

Oh, I know all about Bleach's ability to be epic popcorn for the brain. I can blast through 3 volumes in an hour, and explain everything that happened in 2 minutes, all plot points and emotional cues included. And yeah, it is kinda an addicting time sink.
Hokage_4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
So Glad that this anime is a series like Naruto and Bleach! Gonna be another Epic YEAR!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2