• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Noir Character Descriptions Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goins007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
I think to many people are reading to much into this. The fiancee could be there just to be killed off at some point, first episode, last one in the season, a little later. Who knows. While I can't say I care much for the name change or that of the SolDots, I'll still watch it just to see how it changes the story. Might be better, might be worse. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that just because Chloe or Altena haven't been added doesn't mean that we won't see them at some point later on.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Since Mireille will have a fiancé, I suppose that they prefer a non-yuri interpretation.

And yet this is from the people co-producing Torchwood.

Quote:
I'm not really keen on the Soldats being tied to Islaam. That doesn't prevent them from saving much the same purpose as they did in the original series, but I worry that it might license some potentially tawdry things.

Where did they actually originate in Noir? I don't recall - I'm sure they were much older than the Cosa Nostra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
LOL! Hollywood awfulness strikes again! Once again I am affirmed that anime should not be adapted to live action. Ironically, Noir is one of the shows that should be foolproof for such an adaptation. Modern day, few special effects, and small main cast. They're trying too hard. It seems like they only licensed it for the name Noir and have no real interest in using the existing work set up by the anime.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don’t follow the anime closely. And I love the original but if the live version is just the same, why bother watching it? It’s a new creative work and I hope to see something entirely new.

The “Noir Character Breakdowns” document is worth reading. It may be very different from the original but there’s some promising ideas. I’m interested to know if the live action Mireille and Kirika have a shared traumatic past and if the resolution of that trauma is the core of the plot. My fear is that it will be a simple kiss kiss bang bang action show, instead of the psychological drama of the anime. That remains to be seen.

Above all, though, the most important thing to me is the casting. Will the actors capture the spirit of Mireille and Kirika?

Lycosyncer wrote:
...Why set it in the 1960s? The original series hinted that it is set in present day...

Probably to make it more exotic to the target US audience. Also French Film Noir from the 50s and 60s were strong influences on the anime. Perhaps Starz are returning to Noir’s roots.

Surrender Artist wrote:
...Also: Who the Hell is Yann? I'm probably just remembering him, which probably for someone who was presumably a man who appeared only once in Noir, but I really don't know who that is.

The leader of the Taiwan Triad in episodes 15 and 16.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I'm slightly disappointed that they changed Mireille's surname, especially because DuBois is so generic. I will also be tempted, should I watch this, to make A Streetcar Named Desire jokes. Bouquet might seem a little strange for a surname, but it was distinctive.

Maybe because "bouquet" is a regular English noun that they don't want the audience confused in case someone speaks about a bunch of flowers (not a problem when speaking in Japanese). Then again, it wasn't a problem with Bond, James Bond. Laughing

Surrender Artist wrote:

Since Mireille will have a fiancé, I suppose that they prefer a non-yuri interpretation. That's a pity since the ambiguity added interest and its concentration upon female characters was refreshing.

Not necessarily. Remember, Xena had a baby, and even that didn't stop the -shipping with Gabrielle. Same Xena producers are producing this Noir. Laughing
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad they're making the main characters older. That was my main problem I had with the anime. Seriously, why must all main anime characters always be so young? As for the other changes, I'm not so sure. But I'm holding on to my original dvds copies anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
So far this is not sounding much like Noir anymore unless it's a sequel. Confused
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Bleh, now they made it too complicated. Granted, Noir's original plot was rather simplistic (maybe to a fault), but a lot of the new elements they are adding seem unnecessary and generic (because none of those things aren't already present on 98% of American dramas). If they wanted to flesh the chief plot out more or add in a secondary opposing force, I could've dug that, but this seems almost laughably dull and lame if this what they are doing with Noir. It's like they are missing the point on some of what made the original good, such as the mysteries behind the characters and the organizations at play. Either that, or they're doing what I was concerned about fron the start: using the basic premise of Noir more as their own creative vehicle rather than for a (reasonably) close adaptation. Not a lot of good signs, thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Retro88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote
One of my favourite anime classics changed into this?
No Chloe or Altena?
Both main heroines characters completely changed into someone else?
Soldats too are different thing...
Really they only took Noir name, the name of organisation and the name of two main heroines and then made completely original work.

If that's called making an adaptation from anime by totally destroying it a bit sublime nature(with great music by Yuki Kajiura) and changing two heroines into some man crazy sluts then it just shows american thinking.

Instead of some hints of yuri romance we get whole serie degraded into typical american shit appealing to really loser fanboys so they could see two sexy assassin ladies killing enemies and [expletive] guys at the same time...

And we all know why they made Kirika older so she could have sex with men without any consequences or morality issues, and not cause having them older we would get a bit more depth to two main characters.

Throwing away all the good things from anime just to have typical sexist plot so girls action would revolve around guys they fudge.

It's like they would make an adaptation of Evangelion without mecha.
Just big WTF is this, all my RAGE Starz!

And of course this will be popular, the setting, sexy girls, action, just a shame this is not completely original work, degrading Noir anime with it's plot.
I wonder if the guy who wrote script even watched Noir or just saw some random hentai doujin crap and on that he based this.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Well, I'm glad they're making the main characters older. That was my main problem I had with the anime. Seriously, why must all main anime characters always be so young?

Why must u.s. live action characters always be so old?
14 year old hitman Very Happy

Heck, they even had to age the characters in Game of Thrones from the book (and people still complained), which actually made it less realistic considering the setting. For comparison, by the time he was just 16, Richard I already commanded his own army and later led the crusades, fighting against Saladin
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Well, I'm glad they're making the main characters older. That was my main problem I had with the anime. Seriously, why must all main anime characters always be so young?

Why must u.s. live action characters always be so old?
14 year old hitman Very Happy

Heck, they even had to age the characters in Game of Thrones from the book (and people still complained), which actually made it less realistic considering the setting. For comparison, by the time he was just 16, Richard I already commanded his own army and later led the crusades, fighting against Saladin

Yes, I know it happens but it's unusual, especially in modern times. Anyway,my point is why must almost all anime characters be teenagers? Most of the time, assassins are adults, well over the age of 18.

And to the person who mentioned yuri; it would be illegal for an underage Kirika to have sex with an adult, regardless of whether it's homosexual or heterosexual. As for the added boyfriends, they could always be killed off later.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Retro88 wrote:

If that's called making an adaptation from anime by totally destroying it a bit sublime nature(with great music by Yuki Kajiura) and changing two heroines into some man crazy sluts then it just shows american thinking.

Is it considered slutty if they sleep with the same men? (Not talking Aya Hirano here.) Laughing

Retro88 wrote:

Instead of some hints of yuri romance we get whole serie degraded into typical american shit appealing to really loser fanboys so they could see two sexy assassin ladies killing enemies and [expletive] guys at the same time...

I find this statement funny because otaku are generally considered losers, as opposed to outgoing mainstream who like watching sexy assassins killing enemies and having sex lives at the same time. Kinda like turning the tables! Laughing

Retro88 wrote:

And we all know why they made Kirika older so she could have sex with men without any consequences or morality issues, and not cause having them older we would get a bit more depth to two main characters.

As opposed to having morality issues and consequences by having sex with adults as an underage girl. Are we talking Leon: The Professional here? Laughing

Retro88 wrote:

Throwing away all the good things from anime just to have typical sexist plot so girls action would revolve around guys they fudge.

Really, what is sexist anymore........ Anime in general is quite sexist from a very patriarchal society....... Laughing

Retro88 wrote:

And of course this will be popular, the setting, sexy girls, action, just a shame this is not completely original work, degrading Noir anime with it's plot.
I wonder if the guy who wrote script even watched Noir or just saw some random hentai doujin crap and on that he based this.

Nah, they're basing it on Xena: Warrior Princess, which they also produced, but set in the 1960's instead of ancient Greece. That was a yuri show! Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Speaking of characters, what the hell is up with the changes made in the description for our two main leads? Bouquet to Dubois? Did they assume people are too stupid to pronounce Bouquet?

You obviously haven't seen Keeping up Appearances.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Since Mireille will have a fiancé, I suppose that they prefer a non-yuri interpretation.

And yet this is from the people co-producing Torchwood.

So, they might also throw in dull acting, enormous unresolved plotholes, and sh***y welsh accents?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

And to the person who mentioned yuri; it would be illegal for an underage Kirika to have sex with an adult, regardless of whether it's homosexual or heterosexual. As for the added boyfriends, they could always be killed off later.

.. but killing and assassinations are already illegal, yet they're featured prominently in the show. Besides, the sex would not be illegal in real life either when you consider the age of consent.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Yep. France's age of consent is 15 per wiki, though I imagine different regions have their own laws for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4