• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OEL manga jumping the shark

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
No, it's not. What my comment was directed towards was that "OEL manga" is not manga.

Yes. I know you did. Razz

jgreen wrote:
No, it's not. What my comment was directed towards was that "OEL manga" is not manga.

And I was commenting on how skeptics make the job of an OEL Manga creator more difficult than it already is. Then again, this attitude does reflect the consumer attitude which says -- "We would only buy the best".

Would you buy an OEL Manga? I wouldn't. Not yet. Why? Because none have been up to par with the best manga.

jgreen wrote:
Manga means comics made in Japan for a Japanese audience. If it's made directly for an American audience by an American creator, it's NOT manga (by my definition, anyway).

Yes, yes. That's yours... and probably several ten (hundred) thousand others too.

I used to think that myself -- but no... not anymore. Ever seen the book, Manga without Borders? All it is -- it's a picture book with a collection of selected drawings of manga-style drawings of artists across the world. With the exception of 2-3 submissions, they look like authentic manga drawings. If only they could get this stuff into a story -- but they're just drawings. However, the best ones were very very impressive; they're to the point where you cannot tell who made it -- unless someone told you.

If only I have the book - then I can quote the opening passage before the first drawing. It was by Takao Saito, maker of Golgo 13. If I were to rephrase it, it went along with encouranging the spread of manga art outside Japan in order to incorporate local flavor into it.

In doing so, it would be possible to see brand new manga works the likes none of us have seen before.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
But just call it a comic. because that's what it is.

I think that they should have their own term because when someone says comic I think either something like Superman or For Better or Worse, not OEL manga. As I said, for me manga is more a style than a culture, which is why I'm perfectly happy with the term OEL manga, especially since the OEL part clearly shows that it's not from Japan. Graphic novel would work just as well, but that's not what they picked and I'd say the stuff I've seen has more in common stylistically with manga than with other "graphic novels" such as say Maus.

In the end though, it's just a label. It doesn't change anything. We could call them muffins and they'd still be the same thing and I'm sure there would still be someone to complain about it.

I will agree that trying to set something in a culture you are unfamiliar with is a bad move though. If it's not your own culture, then research is your friend. But OEL manga has the advantage that is can be set in North American culture and thus has no need to explanation notes which, while I do appreciate them and enjoy learning about Japanese culture, can get tedious at times.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
In the end though, it's just a label. It doesn't change anything. We could call them muffins and they'd still be the same thing and I'm sure there would still be someone to complain about it.

You win, I'm calling them Muffins from now on. Anime smallmouth Laughing

I guess that's a good point, too. I suppose it shouldn't really matter what they are called. Although, usually, when I think of something like For Better or Worse, I think comic strip, not comic. And while Dramacon (for lack of a better example) may not be like Maus or Batman, I can't say I think it's really like Adolf or Berserk, either.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
And I was commenting on how skeptics make the job of an OEL Manga creator more difficult than it already is. Then again, this attitude does reflect the consumer attitude which says -- "We would only buy the best".

Would you buy an OEL Manga? I wouldn't. Not yet. Why? Because none have been up to par with the best manga.

Not true! I would highly recommend any skeptic pick up....

- Gold Digger by Fred Perry
- Anything by Adam Warren (esp. his Dirty Pair...his new book Empowered looks great, too)
- Cathedral Child by Lea Hernandez
- Battle Chasers by Joe Madureira et. al.

One of the best examples of the potential of OEL manga (and one of the few instances where I think the label IS appropriate) is the Tokyopop series Boys of Summer (one vol. available so far). It's written by an American writer (Chuck Austen, of X-Men and Superman fame/infamy) and drawn by a Japanese artist (Hiroshi Otsuka, I believe his name is). It's a uniquely American story that is set in American but told using Japanese techniques, and it's a great marriage of the two styles....if you like fanservice-y harem books, anyway. Razz

KyuuA4 wrote:
I used to think that myself -- but no... not anymore. Ever seen the book, Manga without Borders?

Seen it in the store, yes, but never flipped through it.

marie-anotoinette wrote:
I think that they should have their own term because when someone says comic I think either something like Superman or For Better or Worse, not OEL manga.

That may have been true once, but I think the blockbuster success of movies based on "comic books" like V For Vendetta, Sin City, and 300 has pretty much shot gigantic holes in the prevailing wisdom that that's what "comics" are. But yes, to be more specific, they are "graphic novels," or even more specifically "original graphic novels." With a term in English that already defines EXACTLY what an OEL manga is, why use the term "OEL manga" at all, unless it's to hop on a bandwagon?

marie-antoinette wrote:
We could call them muffins and they'd still be the same thing and I'm sure there would still be someone to complain about it.

I think I'd rather have a muffin than most OEL manga. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Should I even mention Marvel's Mangaverse? Wink it was interesting for what it was. I still thought of it as a comic. Ben Dunn has been in that manga-like artwork for a relatively long time. But I still think of his works as comics. (Ninja High School, etc.)

I agree with jgreen Smile I don't think I have anything to say against it at all.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I heard Bizenghast is a good OEL graphic novel. If they marketed them as comic books I would buy more of them.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I would like to apologize to Viga_of_stars for calling this thread retarded. Actually, her question was a legitimate one, and led to a decent discussion, but it was quickly overtaken by threadcrappers who decided, Let's Have Another Pointlessly Fussy Debate About What Things Are Called! Which I think was the real cause of retardation around here. I mean, what kind of ANN is this where people can say complete nonsensical bullshit and not get banned:

mistress_reebi wrote:
OEL cannot be called manga because manga is a Japanese word and OEL is in English.

Okay, so let's say my older cousin, who's a professional restauranteur, puts a slice of raw fish on a slab of rice, and wraps it with seaweed, are you going to tell me he didn't make "sushi" because he's a Filipino guy living in America and "sushi" is a Japanese word? Then what the hell is it? a RAW FISH WRAP? No, I go down to the Asiantown district of my city any day of the goddamn week, IN AMERICA, and I can walk into a "Japanese" restaurant, IN AMERICA, and I can order a plate of motherf'ing SUSHI because it is not called a RAW FISH WRAP, or a SUSHI-INFLUENCED SEAFOOD DISH, or an ORIGINAL AMERICAN-MADE FISH THINGY, it is a goddamn piece of SUSHI, and I'll be damned if you tell me I can't order a "sushi" IN AMERICA just because "sushi" is a Japanese word, and even if the "proper definition" of sushi means "a seafood dish FROM JAPAN," that sure as hell doesn't stop peope OUTSIDE of Japan from making SUSHI, does it?

There are plenty of reasons to say that OEL isn't "real manga," but "manga is a Japanese word" is NOT one of them.

Quote:
I heard Bizenghast is a good OEL graphic novel. If they marketed them as comic books I would buy more of them.

So "marketing" and "labeling" is more important to you than whether it's good or not? Ugh, people like you are the reason for terrible and embarrassing advertisments in all media.

P.S. Bizenghast sucks ass, anyway. I've read it.

P.P.S. It IS marketed as a comic book. They put it in the COMIC section of the store, of which "manga" is merely a subset. DERRRR!

So, once again, Viga_of_stars, please accept my apology for your thread turning into shark-jumping crapfest.
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
and even if the "proper definition" of sushi means "a seafood dish FROM JAPAN," that sure as hell doesn't stop peope OUTSIDE of Japan from making SUSHI, does it?
Sorry it's bugging me.. and I'm gonna say sorry ahead of time Anime hyper

Sushi is not a seafood dish from japan, it's mixed rice. Typically rice mixed with vinegar. The fish is stuff added to it. But also there's vegetables, etc.

I agree that just because sushi is a word from Japan it is not the real definition of sushi as a food product. It's generally accepted that food made in a "particular" way will become that type of cuisine. So what is the definition of manga. Determining that will determine if OEL is manga or not. I guess that's where the fights over definition came from. Though I can understand the frustration Sad

I think a closer comparison would be a "home cooked" meal. Is it something that's cooked at home or something that resembles something that could be cooked at home? Razz
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
...and led to a decent discussion, but it was quickly overtaken by threadcrappers who decided...

I don't recall a discussion, but I'll apologize that my first response jumped right into the name debate.

Quote:
P.S. Bizenghast sucks ass, anyway. I've read it.

Agreed. I decided to wander over to the graphic novel section of my local library today to try some OEL and I picked this up. Yeah...it was pretty bad. I'm sure M. Alice LeGrow has artistic talent, but Bizenghast is a poor example of it. What a mess Shocked Although it was better then A Midnight Opera... but that's not saying a lot.

Quote:
P.P.S. It IS marketed as a comic book. They put it in the COMIC section of the store, of which "manga" is merely a subset. DERRRR!

Well, at both my local Borders as well as Barnes & Noble, there are two distinct sections in which to find graphic novels. One is 'MANGA' and the other is 'COMICS'. Guess where they put the OEL? In the 'MANGA' section.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I dislike about the term OEL manga is the fact that it seems like an attempt to differentiate anime-style American comics from regular comics, like there's some sort of stigma attached to the phrase "comic." Seriously, I don't get what's wrong with calling it a "comic." In fact, I don't see what's wrong with calling it ANYTHING as long as people know what you're talking about.

Geez, it's just nomenclature, people. Why does every discussion about OEL manga have to degenerate into terminology wars rather than an assessment of the emerging market itself? I personally believe that, given time to grow, OEL manga will turn out some decent works. It's just that right now, alot of publishers just don't know what they're looking for in a good comic. I see alot of creative, imaginative stories with no narrative skill to speak of, I see bad artwork and generic stories... I don't think the publishers are being hard enough in terms of editing because they just don't know what's going to sell. I'd say just be patient, talent is bound to start cropping up somewhere. There are some good ones already if you look for them.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
The only thing I dislike about the term OEL manga is the fact that it seems like an attempt to differentiate anime-style American comics from regular comics

The person who coined the term is hanging out right here in this very thread. Wink

Or at least I think it was him.

[EDIT] Quotefix.

Last edited by frentymon on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
There are plenty of reasons to say that OEL isn't "real manga," but "manga is a Japanese word" is NOT one of them.
Besides, if someone wants to get really technical about the proper definitions of a word, the Japanese define all manga as being comics regardless of the country's origins, so Americans aren't even using the term manga properly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Besides, if someone wants to get really technical about the proper definitions of a word, the Japanese define all manga as being comics regardless of the country's origins, so Americans aren't even using the term manga properly.
I suspected this but I had no proof of this! But this is what I thought as well! Smile How did you come to terms with the validity?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
To break away from the name debate that can go in circles forever...has anyone read the Degrassi books? If you haven't read them, then you really can't tell if they suck or not.

I don't really follow the tv series (I'm an first generation Degrassi fan myself really) so I'm not sure if I would really be able to fully appreciate them, but I don't see why it's so horrible. I'd rather Degrassi be the show to branch out into manga than most of the other things on TV right now.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I suspected this but I had no proof of this! But this is what I thought as well! Smile How did you come to terms with the validity?
Quoted from the ANN Lexicon definition on manga, ""Manga" was coined by woodblock artist Katsushika Hokusai in 1814 to describe a book of black & white sketches he made. However, images have been used to tell stories for much longer. The oldest case of this is believed to be the Choujuugiga drawn in the 12th century by a Buddhist monk named Toba.

Manga has come a long way since these days and the stories now told in those "whimsical pictures" cover an extremely broad range of topics, from adventure and sports to fantasy, love stories, science fiction, politics... anything. In Japan the word manga refers to all forms of comics, be they Japanese, European or American. But in Europe and America the word manga is used to refer specifically to Japanese comics.' To verify this further, I have seen a behind the scenes special about Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon where they are talking about the history of the manga and they specifically refer to the Sailor Moon manga as "comics" in plain English.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 52