• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals Tokyo Drift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
I am not at all saying that they should obviously TLC, and redit it, and obviously you would have to reclean and retypeset it. however it would for a series that is HUGE in japan but, has failed completely in US with their major work. that is why going the mangagamer route would be a good thing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The current readers, like myself, were not enthused about the concept to say the least, and getting a bunch of new readers isn't necessarily worth it if a big portion of the current readers bail. Heck, Wonder Woman was going to wear pants permanently, right up until they saw the backlash against it.

But that right there is why I think they're mistaken. Anyone that bloody opinionated about Wonder Woman's pants is so invested that you'll never get rid of them. At the end of the day, fanboys are going to bitch and moan about a lot of things but at the end of the day they're still gonna turn around and buy your product. Yeah, if you truly rebooted the series there would be mass fanboy rage. But really, if for once, instead of caving in, DC puts their foot down then what are these people gonna do? Just stop reading comics? Yeah right.

Quote:
I've also wondered where exactly DC has gotten the data that would support the idea that all these teens are just waiting for a massive reboot. I certainly understand that they need to do something since the average comic reader is aging progressively, but I'm not convinced that these supposed new readers are really there in the numbers that DC thinks, or hopes. If there is some sort of data, then I could at least concede that it's a smart business decision, even if I don't personally like it.

I'd say Hollywood has proven pretty definitively that in the correct context these characters still have massive appeal. Of course, just because someone went to see the Dark Knight doesn't mean they're gonna start reading comics but then, I'd say manga's popularity has proven that there's still a huge market for comics out there. Hence, it's pretty safe to say that there is indeed a lot of potential fans out there.

Quote:
And even if they did reboot, history has shown that it'll just get complicated and scary to new readers again. Crisis on Infinite Earths was meant to consolidate and simplify the continuities, and here we are 25 years later doing it again.

A few points:

-You ask too much. Obviously nothing they do is going to last forever. Obviously they'll eventually have to reboot or something again. The simple fact is that you cannot tell a story forever. I mean, even the immortals of the manga world end eventually. So it is for DC. They have to accept that nothing lasts forever. At some point you've got to end the current story and start a new one. That's fine though. If they could do a reboot and run that new series for another 25 freakin' years then then great. That's a massive success.

-It's also too much to expect that it doesn't stop being accessable after a few years. If you want your story to be at all serial in nature then you people aren't going to be able to just jump in part way. But hey, that's fine. Nobody does this with manga. You don't walk into a bookstore and pick up Berserk volume 28. You pick up volume 1. Again, that's the reason we need a self contained, finite story with consistent continuity. Fans need to be able to start at volume one and catch up instead of being expected to jump in half way through. This is reason number one why manga attracts new fans and DC doesn't.

-While Crisis was at least more of a reboot than this it ultimately still failed for the same reasons this will. It was a streamlining and not a true reboot. They did a few new origin stories, sure. However, they pretty much just went right back to telling the exact same stories with the exact same status quo and the exact same mentality immediately afterwards.

-Even with it's inherent problems, Crisis was pretty much the best thing to happen to Batman ever. It gave us Year one, The Man Who Laughs, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, the Legends of the Dark Knight series and many other stories that would go on to become the essential Batman stories. If this was the result of a wildly imperfect soft reboot then just imagine the result of a full blown reboot.

Quote:
If something is to be done, I'm partial to the idea of creating "seasons." Each volume gets to maybe 12 issues, and then it's the end of that season. Then you start a new one. If nothing else, that would stop them from getting to those oh so scary high numbers and having to renumber again and again.

I'm sorry but people are not that dumb. You can't fool them into buying the same problematic content just by slapping a lower number on it. Yeah, maybe people will see "Batman #1" on a shelf and pick it up but then if they read it and find it's the exact same impenetrable bullshit they'll just put it back down. They're not coming back for volume 2.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
I realize the whole DC thing is big, and they talked about it on the show, and comics and manga share the same medium.... but it is eclipsing the Jmanga.com beta opening..... can we please be a little more....manga centric.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
The current readers, like myself, were not enthused about the concept to say the least, and getting a bunch of new readers isn't necessarily worth it if a big portion of the current readers bail. Heck, Wonder Woman was going to wear pants permanently, right up until they saw the backlash against it.

But that right there is why I think they're mistaken. Anyone that bloody opinionated about Wonder Woman's pants is so invested that you'll never get rid of them. At the end of the day, fanboys are going to bitch and moan about a lot of things but at the end of the day they're still gonna turn around and buy your product. Yeah, if you truly rebooted the series there would be mass fanboy rage. But really, if for once, instead of caving in, DC puts their foot down then what are these people gonna do? Just stop reading comics? Yeah right.

And yet, there is that risk. Imagine how it would feel to have whoever makes something you like say, "Screw you, buddy. We're after the new crowd." It's not great for customer relations. Like I said as a personal example, I picked up each issue of Birds of Prey each month, but now I'm done with that series because I don't like what they're doing with it.
ikillchicken wrote:

Quote:
I've also wondered where exactly DC has gotten the data that would support the idea that all these teens are just waiting for a massive reboot. I certainly understand that they need to do something since the average comic reader is aging progressively, but I'm not convinced that these supposed new readers are really there in the numbers that DC thinks, or hopes. If there is some sort of data, then I could at least concede that it's a smart business decision, even if I don't personally like it.

I'd say Hollywood has proven pretty definitively that in the correct context these characters still have massive appeal. Of course, just because someone went to see the Dark Knight doesn't mean they're gonna start reading comics but then, I'd say manga's popularity has proven that there's still a huge market for comics out there. Hence, it's pretty safe to say that there is indeed a lot of potential fans out there.

Yes, that is probably where much of the idea comes from, but it's not exactly firm data. There isn't nearly as much crossover between manga and anime as you might expect. They have similarities, but the differences tend to keep the masses from branching out much. And movies don't seem to result in huge numbers of new readers, at least not the long-term ones. I know my local shop will see a decent influx of people during the summer movie season, and then it's back to the regulars by around October.
ikillchicken wrote:

Quote:
And even if they did reboot, history has shown that it'll just get complicated and scary to new readers again. Crisis on Infinite Earths was meant to consolidate and simplify the continuities, and here we are 25 years later doing it again.

A few points:

-You ask too much. Obviously nothing they do is going to last forever. Obviously they'll eventually have to reboot or something again. The simple fact is that you cannot tell a story forever. I mean, even the immortals of the manga world end eventually. So it is for DC. They have to accept that nothing lasts forever. At some point you've got to end the current story and start a new one. That's fine though. If they could do a reboot and run that new series for another 25 freakin' years then then great. That's a massive success.

Except that superhero comics have been designed to continue indefinitely. Lots of smaller stories lasting a few issues, and gradual changes.
ikillchicken wrote:

-It's also too much to expect that it doesn't stop being accessable after a few years. If you want your story to be at all serial in nature then you people aren't going to be able to just jump in part way. But hey, that's fine. Nobody does this with manga. You don't walk into a bookstore and pick up Berserk volume 28. You pick up volume 1. Again, that's the reason we need a self contained, finite story with consistent continuity. Fans need to be able to start at volume one and catch up instead of being expected to jump in half way through. This is reason number one why manga attracts new fans and DC doesn't.

This comes down to a difference between the writing styles of Japanese manga and American superhero comics. As I said before, superheroes exist in multitudes of short stories. As a result, someone can usually slide in fairly safely at any point. Superhero comics are basically structured to be like most American TV shows. They're supposed to keep going for as long as people read them. Most manga is designed to finish whenever the author says it's done. So, while you don't pick up Berserk 28 and start from there, you certainly can pick up Superman at almost any time and just start. You're far less likely to need to know what Superman did 20 issues ago than what Guts did 4 volumes ago.

Also, I think one of the reasons why they would be reluctant to go with the finite, self-contained structure is that comic readers tend to get focused on certain authors and artists. Comic companies like knowing that they can lock people in indefinitely because they'll either ride out an author they don't like, or they'll come back in a few issues. If they handed projects solely to one team with the understanding that nothing changes until that team is done, then they risk (at least in the editors' minds) having people pick and choose certain titles and staying away for long stretches. That perpetual readership is just a bit too good to pass up.
ikillchicken wrote:

Quote:
If something is to be done, I'm partial to the idea of creating "seasons." Each volume gets to maybe 12 issues, and then it's the end of that season. Then you start a new one. If nothing else, that would stop them from getting to those oh so scary high numbers and having to renumber again and again.

I'm sorry but people are not that dumb. You can't fool them into buying the same problematic content just by slapping a lower number on it. Yeah, maybe people will see "Batman #1" on a shelf and pick it up but then if they read it and find it's the exact same impenetrable bullshit they'll just put it back down. They're not coming back for volume 2.

Except they kind of are. Just look at TV shows. They exist on multiple seasons, full of short stories that let people start at any time. Nobody is even aware that they are starting with episode 32 because most of the time it makes no difference. They only realize what episode it is when the commercials say, "Tune in for a special 100th episode."

Besides, DC is convinced that the numbers are a huge hurdle, hence the 52 #1s, and I'm saying that without some sort of structured plan on how to avoid it, they'll invariably have to renumber again, and have people complain again. If they start off with a defined system then they can at least cut down on the whole, "How dare you renumber before a milestone!" problem.

Also, I'm saying that just like a TV show, these seasons would largely be self-contained and only make basic references to previous seasons. TV shows use flashbacks constantly, and that concept could be applied in some manner here.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I realize the whole DC thing is big, and they talked about it on the show, and comics and manga share the same medium.... but it is eclipsing the Jmanga.com beta opening..... can we please be a little more....manga centric.

That is probably a good idea. I've discussed the topic enough elsewhere, so I'm fine with moving on.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
And yet, there is that risk. Imagine how it would feel to have whoever makes something you like say, "Screw you, buddy. We're after the new crowd." It's not great for customer relations. Like I said as a personal example, I picked up each issue of Birds of Prey each month, but now I'm done with that series because I don't like what they're doing with it.

But let's be honest: If the did just decide to completely reboot all their comics, what would you do? Would you just stop reading DC comics entirely? Or, would you grumble and complain but ultimately still end up checking out a lot of the new rebooted series?

I'm not saying they wouldn't loose any sales but look, right now they're catering 100% to the people who need the least convincing to buy their product.

Quote:
And movies don't seem to result in huge numbers of new readers, at least not the long-term ones. I know my local shop will see a decent influx of people during the summer movie season, and then it's back to the regulars by around October.

Exactly and that right there proves my point: There are undeniably a lot of people out there who are potentially willing to read superhero comics. There is absolutely no reason DC shouldn't be turning these people into permanent readers. If they're giving up after a few months then DC is failing to provide content that appeals to them.

Quote:
Except that superhero comics have been designed to continue indefinitely. Lots of smaller stories lasting a few issues, and gradual changes.

No way. Not by a long shot. At one point they were. Back in the Golden Age they were written as entirely episodic adventures. Right now though they're most definitely doing nothing of the sort. If you're going to tell these kind of episodic stories then you need a very simple world, a limited cast and a stories that are basically self contained. I mean, you mentioned that a lot of TV shows are episodic. So fine. Let's compare the DC universe to any one of those shows, CSI for instance. The whole reason CSI works is because you can basically turn on any given episode and know everything you need to know: These are cops. They solve murders. Here's a murder. Okay. They solved it. Simple.

Now compare that to the DCU. Do you think anyone would watch CSI if it was anything like the DCU? No. The DCU has developed this absolutely massive mythos spanning an entire universe with dozens of main characters and hundreds more side characters and endless crossovers and an absolute mountain of in universe technology and terminology and the status quo of all this is constantly shifting and changing with an endless string of huge world changing events. There is absolutely nothing in modern comics capable of working as episodic storytelling or of continuing indefinitely (and maybe you're onto something here in that they still think it is which is what causes the problem).

But you know, that's fine. I think fans like this complex, non-episodic world but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have this giant sprawling mess and then also have your story be the same kind of old school indefinite episodic storytelling. If you're going to do this though and have this massively complicated world and story then you have to have a clear order of events to lead people through.

(And by the way, even episodic shows don't go on forever. If even the most episodic of shows ran for 25 years, let alone more it would be a miracle).

Quote:
Also, I'm saying that just like a TV show, these seasons would largely be self-contained and only make basic references to previous seasons. TV shows use flashbacks constantly, and that concept could be applied in some manner here.

Actually, that is an intriguing idea. Perhaps this might indeed be a way to return to the more traditional style of episodic storytelling while still allowing at least some degree of overlying plot. Still, it would have to be vastly, vastly scaled down from the current universe style storytelling. (It's so so so not as simple as just slapping a 1 on it).

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Hey, nobody is stopping you from talking about what you wanna talk about. No reason you need to try and stop others from doing the same.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Redline has some awesome action scenes, but I didn't like it as much I wanted to. For one, there was too much exposition. The whole military subplot was boring, and it took up too much of the movie. Also, I didn't like how they treated Sonoshee's character. spoiler[Not only was there the unnecessary fanservice scene in the hotel room, but then there was the whole thing setting up as the determined underdog, only to have her crash and have to be saved by JP.] That bothered me a little for some reason.

Overall it was a good movie, just not what I hoped it would be.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The problem with jmanga is that they are trying a risky game of chicken with the publishers:

First launch with the preferred pricing scheme of the individual publishers (high priced pay-per-series), get feedback and sales figures and use that data to force them to reconsider their demands.

Huh? This reads as if JManga is setting the prices, and the publishers are leaning on them about the prices JManga sets.

I believe its a bit simpler and less involved than that.

JManga is launching with the preferred pricing scheme of the publishers because each publisher sets the price for each title. If the prices are changed, it will be because one or more publishers changes their pricing strategy.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Honestly, with the JManga site, I was interested until I looked at the pricing system. I might be reading it wrong, but it almost looks like you have to subscribe to even get points...? Which seems...bizarre, so i could be misunderstanding it, I dunno. I had a hard time figuring out where they explained their pricing.

Anyway, at $8.99 a volume, I can get a lot of book copies of manga, so...I'd honestly rather wait for a published version to come out in the US and just get that, particularly since I'd only be able to read JManga's stuff online, on their website. I'd be much more interested in the "Netflix" model (paying a monthly fee to be able to read manga) if I had to use the site. I can see paying a fee for each volume--maybe even the $8.99 or higher price--if I could read it on my computer (e-reader/etc), but only being able to read it on the site? Eeeehhh yeah, I'm not sure about that. With the model they currently have, the only way I can see paying for a manga on their site currently would be for a series I absolutely could not get in book form, didn't have any signs of being licensed in the US, and it was a series that I was really passionate about for whatever reason--like the work of Daisuke Moriyama post-Chrono Crusade...I feel like I've been waiting forever for World Embryo to come out here. I've actually considered importing the English-translated versons from other countries to get my hands on it legally.

Although really...I'm the sort of person who'd rather have "real" copies of stuff rather than digital copies, so maybe JManga's not really...for me.

On another note, good call on recommending Fullmetal Alchemist for comic fans--I have a friend that loves comics that got into manga through FMA. He adores that series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
The problem with jmanga is that they are trying a risky game of chicken with the publishers:

First launch with the preferred pricing scheme of the individual publishers (high priced pay-per-series), get feedback and sales figures and use that data to force them to reconsider their demands.

Huh? This reads as if JManga is setting the prices, and the publishers are leaning on them about the prices JManga sets.

JManga is launching with the preferred pricing scheme of the publishers because each publisher sets the price for each title. If the prices are changed, it will be because one or more publishers changes their pricing strategy.

No, I read samuelp's statement to mean exactly how you described it--that the publisher is setting the prices. However, the presumption (see unquoted part), is that Jmanga is using that as a way to pressure the publishers into changing prices later on by letting them experience some failure for themselves.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
agila61 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

No, I read samuelp's statement to mean exactly how you described it--that the publisher is setting the prices. However, the presumption (see unquoted part), is that Jmanga is using that as a way to pressure the publishers into changing prices later on by letting them experience some failure for themselves.

Thanks for clarifying, that's correct.

And to restate my criticism of this strategy: Japanese companies respond to success with more investment. They respond to failure by cutting losses.

This risk adverse nature is exactly what makes the trains run on time and the recessions 10 years long.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
"Pressure" HOW?

The Crunchyroll people were hired by the consortium of manga publishers to build a platform. Each publisher uses the distribution rights it can get together to set the prices they want to set on the titles they make available on the platform.

For the JManga side to be "pressuring" the publishers, there has to be something they are doing that is different to what they would do if they were not pressuring the publishers.

So what is that action that JManga is doing to "pressure" publishers?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
configspace wrote:
"Pressure" HOW?

The Crunchyroll people were hired by the consortium of manga publishers to build a platform. Each publisher uses the distribution rights it can get together to set the prices they want to set on the titles they make available on the platform.

For the JManga side to be "pressuring" the publishers, there has to be something they are doing that is different to what they would do if they were not pressuring the publishers.

So what is that action that JManga is doing to "pressure" publishers?

J manga is not pressuring the publishers, but the fans sure are
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
JManga is not pressuring the publishers, but the fans sure are
There you go ~ fans can pressure the publishers by either buying or not buying the "life of JManga" licenses to access manga.

The real opportunities for fan pressure begins when some publisher establishes a different price point, such as half the print edition price for the "life of JManga" access licenses, and when a publishers asks JManga to establish a "rental" category at a much lower price point ~ say, 50 points for a week's access ~ even if the rental is restricted to manga not licensed for English language print publication.

Then fans can exert pressure by buying at the lower price points instead of at the higher price point.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Actually, that is an intriguing idea. Perhaps this might indeed be a way to return to the more traditional style of episodic storytelling while still allowing at least some degree of overlying plot. Still, it would have to be vastly, vastly scaled down from the current universe style storytelling. (It's so so so not as simple as just slapping a 1 on it).

Oh, definitely. Renumbering is an old trick that only works for a couple of months, if that. It's really the execution that is important, and the numbering system would really just be there so that people don't whine about not getting to #1000 or whatever. If numbers become unimportant, then there isn't much point in worrying about them. And honestly, that complaint just seems silly because they'll almost certainly have special milestone issues when they get to them, years from now. Ideally, the numbers would just become a guidance system so folks would know what they need to read to follow the current plot.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Anyway, at $8.99 a volume, I can get a lot of book copies of manga, so...I'd honestly rather wait for a published version to come out in the US and just get that, ...
Though a lot of JManga's titles will be series that will never be licensed in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3